Anger at boats anchoring overnight

tugger

Visit site
I'll just say that I enjoy a spot of overnight anchoring in a quiet backwater ?
?... and that's fine, it really is. In the real world I couldn't give two hoots who wants to moor where, I'm not likely to have to come into contact with any of you.

However it's the incessant need for half the forum to keep on telling everyone why they're so special and as such certain rules don't apply to them (without a hint of self awareness) that is just grinding.

So everyone, go and hide up a creek somewhere, just do it and do it without telling everyone else otherwise don't be surprised when someone who doesn't have the same outlook as you decides to 'shop you in' * ... after all, strictly speaking you are the one not adhering to the guidance.

*It absolutely won't be me though :)

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
As we are not actually limited to 24 hour journey then surely we must go home when the journey ends? Who knows what part make up the journey?

Alternatively and more usefully if the work on your boat extends through the night, or even must take place at night as a night shift as permitted by law- say complete check of nav lights, auto anchor lights etc, then its legitimate.

Further if you decide you are too tired to drive home you must not set of home at pain of prosecution for dangerous driving or even manslaughter if you crash and kill some one. The police cannot ask you to place yourself or others in danger

Old Harry

Visit site
As we are not actually limited to 24 hour journey then surely we must go home when the journey ends? Who knows what part make up the journey?

Alternatively and more usefully if the work on your boat extends through the night, or even must take place at night as a night shift as permitted by law- say complete check of nav lights, auto anchor lights etc, then its legitimate.

Further if you decide you are too tired to drive home you must not set of home at pain of prosecution for dangerous driving or even manslaughter if you crash and kill some one. The police cannot ask you to place yourself or others in danger
Gollum had defective eye sight & took his family on a 60 mile test drive to assess if he could see or not

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I don't think we want a headline in the Daily Mirror " rich yotties defy overnight ban".

I'm guessing that certain members of the bird watchers and green movement could make a meal of it.

I expect some people anchoring overnight are people who live a long distance from their
boats and a day sail would be difficult. I suppose if you picked up a mooring instead that would be less visible.

Depending on where you keep your boat, a day sail can also be difficult. If you say, keep a boat at
Mersea or Bradwell for example you can have a trip to Maldon on springs and Brightlingsea on neaps. If your boat is kept at the bottom of a river in the Thames estuary only neaps are really on , and that's without considering the wind . For some of us old
timers it can be a long day if you live 40 miles away.

But we are sailing. Don't think it will be too long before the restrictions end.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Ok... I'll bite ;)

However the definition of requiring to self isolate is now if you are showing signs of Covid and there's a clue as to what you should do if you're showing signs at the bottom of the post.

Until of course the rules you choose to ignore then happen to effect others even though you had no intention of it... Tombstoning off Durdle Door anyone?

Can you point me in the direction of where Nick Ardley mentioned this... I missed that bit

EXCELLENT :)

...oh, and you were doing so well too :(

Other than where it says "do not go boating if you are self isolating or feel unwell"

Oh the irony.

I've circled the bits that I think you might have missed but by all means feel free to point out which bits you think don't apply and I'd love to hear the reasons you think you're exempt too
View attachment 91659
My name is Dominic Cummings and my Bestie mate Boris has stated on oath (and far more more importantly......on TV ) that it does not apply to me :)
Whats good for the visually impaired goose ...etc etc

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I'm bloody annoyed by boats being out anchored overnight. Selfish gits. Making me jealous cos we're stuck ashore in the yard!

It has to be said that up until the Cummings fiasco i was a staunch and at times vociferous supporter of the Covid 19 lockdown measures. Now? I don't give a damn and if it wasn't for the marina requiring us to not stay aboard we'd be on our way down on Saturday for our planned two week holiday ... boat fettling rather than sailing but it would be something

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Ok... I'll bite ;)

However the definition of requiring to self isolate is now if you are showing signs of Covid and there's a clue as to what you should do if you're showing signs at the bottom of the post.

Until of course the rules you choose to ignore then happen to effect others even though you had no intention of it... Tombstoning off Durdle Door anyone?

Can you point me in the direction of where Nick Ardley mentioned this... I missed that bit

EXCELLENT :)

...oh, and you were doing so well too :(

Other than where it says "do not go boating if you are self isolating or feel unwell"

Oh the irony.

I've circled the bits that I think you might have missed but by all means feel free to point out which bits you think don't apply and I'd love to hear the reasons you think you're exempt too
View attachment 91659

You are quoting RYA brochures as if the have some standing in law. They don't, just another jumped up body that's so full of their own importance that they feel the need to jump on the bullshit bandwagon.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
some would say "rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools". Some would say.

One could say this when it was guidance, vague guidance at that, but just when so many things were being eased it became specifically illegal to spend the night anywhere but your usual home address without a very narrow range of reasons

That says to me that this is not an aspect of the "lockdown" that is going to be eased anytime soon :(

Tomahawk

Visit site
What a sad twot* he is. Getting angry at people who do things that do not affect him in the least.

C19 comes on slowly. Even if you sre becoming unwell you have a couple of days to motor back home and get ashore before needing to climb into bed or cisit a hospital. Then there is the whole thing about lockdown being the means of controlling the virus. It is not the objective.

The rules changed last month.. but the virus is still the same.The rules are not well written.

(*Twot... total waste of time.. not to be confused with another word )

Last edited:

Tomahawk

Visit site
I don't think we want a headline in the Daily Mirror " rich yotties defy overnight ban".

I'm guessing that certain members of the bird watchers and green movement could make a meal of it.

It is a funny old world. Spend 30k on a beach hut! Spend 20k on a car and 34k on a caravan or better still 90k on motorhome and you are just an ordinary geezer..

But spend 10k on a yacht and you are a rich bastard.