Anger at boats anchoring overnight

oldgit

Visit site
Probably because half of the boats in Stangate were from Canvey!!

You can understand them coming over, bearing in mind the delights offered by Canvey in particular and Essex in general.
J M W Turner frequently painted Stangate Creek, cannot actually recall anything from him inspired by the Coryton Refinery. :)

Tomahawk

Visit site
I think Turner wold have painted the Corytown refinery ....
The immense size and steam lights and everything would have fascinated him ... if he borrowed a time machine from his mate HG Wells..

CLB

Visit site
You can understand them coming over, bearing in mind the delights offered by Canvey in particular and Essex in general.
J M W Turner frequently painted Stangate Creek, cannot actually recall anything from him inspired by the Coryton Refinery. :)

A refinery in the late 1700's/early 1800's would have been of great interest to any painter. If only as an object of utter confusion. As for Essex, I think Constable found the odd place worthy of his oils.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
A refinery in the late 1700's/early 1800's would have been of great interest to any painter. If only as an object of utter confusion. As for Essex, I think Constable found the odd place worthy of his oils.
Ah were not those few places of interests, actually on the Essex / Suffolk borders ?

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Interestingly - the RYA newsletter issued just now includes a revised version of the "retutn to boating" poster (see post #20 in this thread). They appear to have backed away from stressing the "not overnight" message...?
"Be considerate, be conservative" has a subtle political overtone too...
View attachment 91709
Very good about time, the RYA appear to have back off or refrained from glibley repeating any Govt promo line and sought its OWN words to put emphysis upon boating, which one would hope, is the RYA angle on life ?

Just wish the Harbour Authorities and Marinas would also find their 'balls' and speak from a Boating perspective, NOT just repeat the Govt line

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
One could say this when it was guidance, vague guidance at that, but just when so many things were being eased it became specifically illegal to spend the night anywhere but your usual home address without a very narrow range of reasons

That says to me that this is not an aspect of the "lockdown" that is going to be eased anytime soon :(
The narrow range of reasons include elite athletes training for the Olympics in 2021 and the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham in 2022! Why them, not us? You cant kip in a 49er or an ILCA(formerly Laser) so why do they need an exception, or is it more important to win medals than protect the vulnerable? Lorry drivers, health workers, fruit pickers-fair enough, but athletes this far from competition suggests the the restriction is a non sense for self interest of politicians seeking glory.

ianc1200

Visit site
Whether or not those boats were from the Island Yacht Club in Canvey I believe Nick got the exact numbers from people leaving their AIS on. If it was me, surely turn off overnight....

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
The narrow range of reasons include elite athletes training for the Olympics in 2021 and the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham in 2022! Why them, not us? You cant kip in a 49er or an ILCA(formerly Laser) so why do they need an exception, or is it more important to win medals than protect the vulnerable? Lorry drivers, health workers, fruit pickers-fair enough, but athletes this far from competition suggests the the restriction is a non sense for self interest of politicians seeking glory.

I couldn't agree more, up to a point, but there we go.

I can understand the broad desire to stop people staying away from home, it's exemptions for activities that are quite simply not essential i dislike (if them, why not us?)

We are in a strange position in that sailing is a sport (hmmm!) so we're allowed to go sailing but staying overnight on a boat is considered the same as a caravan or second home so we're not allowed to do it

We can ignore what is now law at our peril (and either be very discrete or expect to cop flak for it!)

It looks like the relevant leisure industry (holiday parks etc) have no expectation of reopening before July at the earliest and even then most operators are hedging their bets and saying no more than that they are preparing to open next month IF it's possible

But if we see a second spike ...

oldgit

Visit site
All we know down here in Medway is that those horrid cold rain sodden NE we endure down here all appear to originate somewhere around Southend .
The sleet laden Northerlies obviously come from Canvey.
In return we give them warm gentle Southerlies.

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
I just don't understand how Nick Ardley knew about the overnighters unless he was there too. I think he sails out of Canvey so not exactly local.
I'm a bit late replying to this but I was busy working on my boat to get it launched yesterday. Nick Ardley started his rant in what seemed like an attack on our club's Facebook Group last week. He had counted 24 boats on AIS. Not sure whether he thought as the nearest club to Stangate Creek we have some sort of control over it or he thought it was our boats moored there. It really felt as though he was attacking us. The funny thing was only 3 of our active members were back in the water and 2 were sitting in Pyefleet Creek then a night near Harty.

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
Nick Ardley and several times in this thread the RYA guidelines keep being mentioned. They are only guidelines. Up until the 1st June staying away from home wasn't mentioned in UK law. Unfortunately, probably due to the Cummings affect this was then added to the legislation from the 1st June. I wonder how this could possibly be enforced. I guess I would have the perfect excuse as I will have to wait in Stangate Creek for the tide.

HappyAfloat

www.happyafloat.com
I'm a bit late replying to this but I was busy working on my boat to get it launched yesterday. Nick Ardley started his rant in what seemed like an attack on our club's Facebook Group last week. He had counted 24 boats on AIS. Not sure whether he thought as the nearest club to Stangate Creek we have some sort of control over it or he thought it was our boats moored there. It really felt as though he was attacking us. The funny thing was only 3 of our active members were back in the water and 2 were sitting in Pyefleet Creek then a night near Harty.

24 boats anchored overnight with AIS on in Stangate creek? I find that very hard to believe, has Nick shared a screenshot of this phenomenal event?

Tomahawk

Visit site
Bru,
If you can understand the rational behing stopping people from staying away from home, please explain it in coherent and consistent terms.

How is staying at your holiday home/boat/caravan more likely to spread infection than visiting them during the day and returning home at night?