Android plotter app recommend?

iantomlinson

Visit site
Just bought a Samsung tab with unlimited and glonass. Looking at using also for backup plotter so looking at my harbour but seen warning signs from Google grabing basxxxxards and terms which seem to be screwing them over. any ideas of a basic chart plotter app for android????

Minerva

Visit site
OpenCPN. The free one is bobbins. The paid one (~£7 from memory) is great. One off payment / doesn’t include charts tho. Think I use O charts.

BCsailor

Visit site
OpenCPN (Dave Register version, 1-time payment). Takes a wide variety of charts. O-Charts are updated regularly and a reasonable price.

Bit of a learning curve (some say "too much") but it does way more than other systems.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
A vote for Navionics plus Admiralty charts on memory map.

There was an issue with Marine Navigator not being available in the app store - check you're happy with the "work around" before going down that route.

You can put Navionics on 2 devices - surprisingly useful for ad hoc planning (i.e. in the pub)

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I am not a fan of tablets for anything! Especially on a small boat.

On my Android phone I have the free version of ORCA for when I am out with pals and might want to look at what they are doing. It is only of use where I can get a signal; near the hard bits. At other times I just use a GPS tracker and download that at home.

iantomlinson

Visit site
I sensibly bought a samsung a9+ which has glonass. It has satellite signals so not from towers. So I can navigate from satellites on charts. That is the proper way to do chartplotting.