And so the hunt begins

Concerto

Visit site
It’s us multi owners that do it quickly. It took us less than a week from decision to look to decision to buy.
Hey hold on you were a bit slow. When I saw Concerto with the previous owner, I made a keen offer on the spot which he reluctantly agreed to. I said I would not use the survey to change the price unless there was any major problem. She was surveyed the next day and I was there when the survey was completed and chatted about a few minor problems, but nothing major. The surveyor left and then joined the previous owner and completed the same day.

So from seeing Concerto to completion was 2 days! Anyone beat that?

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
That time for us was from deciding to buy a boat at all. We started looking, found Chiara, saw her twice, saw 2 others in that time. It took us slightly longer from first seeing her to completing, I’ll allow you that.

capnsensible

Visit site
Hey hold on you were a bit slow. When I saw Concerto with the previous owner, I made a keen offer on the spot which he reluctantly agreed to. I said I would not use the survey to change the price unless there was any major problem. She was surveyed the next day and I was there when the survey was completed and chatted about a few minor problems, but nothing major. The surveyor left and then joined the previous owner and completed the same day.

Easy. We sold our Moody 33 a couple of years ago. A retired fisherman from Gran Canaria had heard she was for sale via a local friend. He flew over to Lanza and got the bus to Playa Blanca with a couple of friends. We picked them up at the bus station and took them to the yacht. They took a couple of hours having a good rummage around. Asked some questions. Made a cash offer. We countered, they accepted and handed over a wad. Took an hour to print off and sign a Bill of Sale. At the same time, got yacht removed from UK register. If it hadn't have been very windy, they would have left then but delayed to next morning. Everyone very happy.

dunedin

Visit site
I think the captain and concerto were missing the earlier point. It was not the speed from viewing a boat to securing the deal that was unusual. It was the amazing speed from starting to search the market to buying.
Stingo certainly gets the award for action and decisiveness (even if he completely failed to provide the forum with the years of fruitless posts and pointless debate otherwise possible).

Stingo

Visit site
I think the captain and concerto were missing the earlier point. It was not the speed from viewing a boat to securing the deal that was unusual. It was the amazing speed from starting to search the market to buying.
Stingo certainly gets the award for action and decisiveness (even if he completely failed to provide the forum with the years of fruitless posts and pointless debate otherwise possible).
And there is already a cunning, failsafe plan to sell the monomaran in the not too distant future and buy a proper boat, which will be a catamaran, naturally. And yes, I've already started looking, despite buying the cat being part of a two year plan.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
And there is already a cunning, failsafe plan to sell the monomaran in the not too distant future and buy a proper boat, which will be a catamaran, naturally. And yes, I've already started looking, despite buying the cat being part of a two year plan.
Are we to be given any hints as to what you’re after?

Stingo

Visit site
Are we to be given any hints as to what you’re after?
Something between 42ft & 45ft. I don't mind ex-charter.

Performance at anchor is more important than sailing performance, so a Leopard 44 with the fwd cockpit would be wonderful.

I'd rip out both fwd cabins and convert one into storage, something similar to the photo, below and the other into a workshop with a proper vice etc

Screenshot_20231113-132436_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20230228-164530_Brave.jpg

capnsensible

Visit site
I was replying to Concerto. Did you miss that point? :)

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Your idea looks great to me, Stingo. When I’m knocking on a bit for fast tris, we might well do something similar. Friends of ours have a Princess 435 fitted out as a similar concept. They don’t go far these days, but they’re on the water enjoying themselves.

dunedin

Visit site
Something between 42ft & 45ft. I don't mind ex-charter.

Performance at anchor is more important than sailing performance, so a Leopard 44 with the fwd cockpit would be wonderful.

I'd rip out both fwd cabins and convert one into storage, something similar to the photo, below and the other into a workshop with a proper vice etc

View attachment 168958View attachment 168960
You are much more expert than me regarding cats, but wouldn't lots of storage and heavy things like washing machines right up in the bows not be a bad thing for both speed and stability? Better in the stern perhaps

Stingo

Visit site
You are much more expert than me regarding cats, but wouldn't lots of storage and heavy things like washing machines right up in the bows not be a bad thing for both speed and stability? Better in the stern perhaps
Yep, we could spend hours debating this. My thinking is that a washing machine, tools, provisions etc, etc will weigh a lot less than two super-sized septic charter guests plus their luggage.

Stingo

Visit site
Just an observation about the benefits of having a fwd cockpit.

If you're cruising in the tropics, anywhere in the world, it's very likely that you'll be anchored in easterly winds. This means that sitting in your aft cockpit, sipping your 5pm sundowners, you'll be staring into the hot, setting sun, and it will be hot, hot, hot, with no breeze to cool you down.

OTOH, sitting in the protection of a fwd cockpit, in the cool, easterly breeze and the shade, it will be most enjoyable.

And when the sun sets, move aft.

Thank me later....

dunedin

Visit site
Yep, we could spend hours debating this. My thinking is that a washing machine, tools, provisions etc, etc will weigh a lot less than two super-sized septic charter guests plus their luggage.
Probably, but the charter guests will probably only be in the bow when at anchor or tied up in harbour - not when sailing fast in a big sea mid Atlantic

Boathook

Visit site
Looking at the hull shape in the photos that lot is a fair distance from the bows. I would be worried about it all staying in place if you have to go to windward.

Zing

Visit site

I’ve got another speed record. 12 months. I first saw the advert in Feb, but it was overpriced, so I left it 4 months to let the seller test the market, then we negotiated, agreed a price and employed lawyers. They delayed things many months and with surveys to do and the Christmas go-slow we have a contract date of end Feb.

jamie N

Visit site
Niander, ex-of this parish, posted that he'd a Folkboat to sell. Within the week the deal was done. I never met the bloke, and it was all done by email with 'forum' trust on both sides, which was vital.
Within the week, I had driven the 450miles round trip and towed it from a Campbeltown barn to Fortrose.
Not the fastest, but unusual.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Niander, ex-of this parish, posted that he'd a Folkboat to sell. Within the week the deal was done. I never met the bloke, and it was all done by email with 'forum' trust on both sides, which was vital.
Within the week, I had driven the 450miles round trip and towed it from a Campbeltown barn to Fortrose.
Not the fastest, but unusual.
Nice story. Thats the one you’re sailing, I presume?

Other threads that may be of interest