And so the hunt begins

Tranona

Visit site
Sadly, the catamaran that I really like is UK Part 1 flagged which means that when I return to Portugal on it, being a Portuguese resident, I'll have to pay 23% VAT on it, which makes it unaffordable
That is nothing to do with its registration, but because it is coming from outside the EU and therefore an import.

Tranona

Visit site
You can’t possibly choose a boat on your own. That is against forum rules.

The required stages are
1) You post on here some partial/incomplete requirements (without mentioning any budget)
2) we then
a) criticise your requirements and tell you what they should be; and / or
b) recommend you can only buy the boat we prefer, doesn’t match any of your requirements and is wildly over your budget
3) You as original poster despair and never return to the thread - or forum
4) You buy another flat instead

That is how the forum process is supposed to work
Depending on who is active on the forum at the time, the list would probably start with a Twister, followed by a Contessa 32, but more sensibly any one of a range of AWBs.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Sadly, the catamaran that I really like is UK Part 1 flagged which means that when I return to Portugal on it, being a Portuguese resident, I'll have to pay 23% VAT on it, which makes it unaffordable
Can't you and the cooking fat move to the UK for the duration of the purchase and fit out prior to leaving for sunnier climes? 2 to 3 months max.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Only if you get caught. If your previous boat was in Portugal on B day, rename the new boat with the old boat's name. You're then just returning rather than arriving.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
I was boatless on B day. I like Fr Hackett's idea of a second UK passport.
Unfortunately, border control are not that daft.

The numbers on the passport are meaningless, it's the combination of name, sex, date of birth, place of birth and nationality that uniquely identifies you unless you are very lucky and have an identical twin whose passport you can borrow and whose biometric data is a match for you. The odds of another person with exactly the same name and sex, being born in the same place, on the same day, in the same year and having the same nationality is so miniscule that it's as good as a certainty that the two passports belong to the same person - the data needed for a passport was chosen for this purpose - and it is now extended with biometrics.

You wouldn't be the first to think you could leave a country, go home, get a new passport with a new passport number, and then going back to start a new visa-free period. ;)