Anchoring

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Re: Setting a CQR

Well, I suspect that your technique is more correct than mine - but we agree that the important thing is a sharp tug to start it digging in.

I fear I may have overstated my case - it might be better to say "drop a lot of chain over - if it goes on top of the anchor it is not a disaster, but ideally you should pay out whilst moving astern, paying out faster than you are backing down, then securing the chain and snubbing the anchor!

tony_brighton

Visit site
There's been a lot of write-ups in the mags about how good the Spade is compared to all the ones listed on this thread - does anyone have any experience of this anchor in different conditions?

incognito

N/A
Visit site
Re: Anchoring Practices:

Seen your post before... I wondered then about the balls ! If you use a ball, as a sort of negative angel, then isn't there a problem with the catenary between you and the ball? Essentially, the ball is acting as a mooring buoy, and between you and the mooring buoy, you are letting out (unspecified by you) some chain, presumably not a short length, to make it all work - this can potentially surge toward the surface, and possibly entrap a passer-by?

I don't doubt the method, it is just that it may cause problems on UK's south coast!

G

Re: Anchoring Practices:

Fools,go where angels fear to fly. If I need that much scope out I use the second ball. Anyone cutting between the ball and the boat does so at his own peril!! So far it has not happened. In conditions which are not adverse; the chain tend to hang and the boat does not stray too far from the Big Red
Ball.
Gene

Keep on Learning!!