Anchor Tripping

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I should know that irony does not work on the Internet after all these decades ;)

This is a made for viewing YouTube channel, so they got stuck once and fixed the problem; for some reason failed to inform the viewer how.

Take two he gets stuck but this time with his 'magic ring' and pulls the anchor up.

I am not a fan of the channel, it reminds me of the 1980's 'The Holiday Programme' with Cliff Michelmore! I know the people producing, directing, editing and starring in it are ex-TV.

zoidberg

Visit site
HOW MUCH...? :eek:

53850975685_164e38c30e_o.jpg

The big 'uns are much more silly money! You can hire a whole pro diving school for that - and have change left for a party afterwards!

Zing

Visit site
Another common kind of anchor fouling occurred to me today. The med mooring tangle. I got my anchor snagged on another boat’s chain today whilst leaving the dock. I lifted the other boat’s chain to the bow, threaded a line under it, cleated the line to the bow cleats, dropped the anchor and after two attempts it fell away from the chain. Line then released at one end and the chain dropped back to the seabed. This solution did require a strong windlass. A helper in a dinghy couldn’t lift the chain up to free it and an anchor tripping line wouldn’t have worked. I have a Bruce anchor, with lots of fish hook like snagging points.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
The best solution is to stop worrying about fouling. Use your anchor in sensible places and use it properly. Don’t mess around with additional complications. If it fouls it is still working. Keep a spare. You will save time, money and heartache by concentrating on more important things.

IanCC

Visit site
The best solution is to stop worrying about fouling. Use your anchor in sensible places and use it properly. Don’t mess around with additional complications. If it fouls it is still working. Keep a spare. You will save time, money and heartache by concentrating on more important things.
That's why i don't sport an expensive anchor. The thought of chucking the thick end of a grand over the side not being entirely certain of getting it back is too much for me.

noelex

Visit site
That's why i don't sport an expensive anchor. The thought of chucking the thick end of a grand over the side not being entirely certain of getting it back is too much for me.
A good point, anchors are expensive, but better models that set rapidly are much less likely to become fouled. An anchor that reliably sets in a couple of feet or less does not have much opportunity to become caught.

In almost six thousand nights at anchor in many countries I have never lost any ground tackle, so the risk is not great.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Hmmm, a bit like saying: to avoid bad weather, remain in port when it is forecast. Easy isn't it why worry :)

Baddox

Visit site

Zing

Visit site
I just ordered a stainless one yesterday at more than double the price of a galv model. My view is if you have a nice boat you are proud of, you don’t want a rusty piece of any old iron looking like a scrapyard at the bow, but economising on an anchor by choosing an inferior model for cost saving is a false economy. The anchor is in my view the most important equipment on the boat.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
Hmmm, a bit like saying: to avoid bad weather, remain in port when it is forecast. Easy isn't it why worry :)
No. It’s a bit like saying bad weather happens, plan for it but don’t go to sea in a submarine just in case!! Anchors foul once every blue moon when you plonk them somewhere silly or unfortunate. Don’t ruin every anchorage you go into messing around with tripping lines and contraptions because it just might be the day! Get a life, have a G&T and the literally hours of messing you save will more than make up for the occasion when lightning strikes! Alternative turn every anchoring into a palava and wake up every morning to a tangled tripping line or drifting along with another yacht moored to your anchor buoy in the constant fear of something that will likely never happen.

IanCC

Visit site
I just ordered a stainless one yesterday at more than double the price of a galv model. My view is if you have a nice boat you are proud of, you don’t want a rusty piece of any old iron looking like a scrapyard at the bow, but economising on an anchor by choosing an inferior model for cost saving is a false economy. The anchor is in my view the most important equipment on the boat.
Ha ha, my boat is 1979 and is not bling. I didn't say an 'inferior anchor'. I rode out my first full hebridean gale a few weeks ago, so am quite happy.

Stemar

Visit site
I can't help thinking that a stainless anchor and chain is just boaty bling. I'd be afraid of getting it scratched!

No one would accuse Jazzcat of being anything but an economical cruiser for someone of limited means but, even for my lottery win boat, the anchor and chain would be galvanised for that tough, purposeful look.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
No. It’s a bit like saying bad weather happens, plan for it but don’t go to sea in a submarine just in case!! Anchors foul once every blue moon when you plonk them somewhere silly or unfortunate. Don’t ruin every anchorage you go into messing around with tripping lines and contraptions because it just might be the day! Get a life, have a G&T and the literally hours of messing you save will more than make up for the occasion when lightning strikes! Alternative turn every anchoring into a palava and wake up every morning to a tangled tripping line or drifting along with another yacht moored to your anchor buoy in the constant fear of something that will likely never happen.
Your post suggests to me that you don't keep your boat in Greece! Crossed anchors and fouling debris on the seabed are almost an everyday occurrence there, especially where people with zero experience are expecting to berth stern-to in crowded harbours.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
IMO basic seamanship includes snorkling equipment and swimming skills to solve certain minor problems, like a net/trap rope around the prop or a fouled anchor. A wet suit or drysuit is part of this in cold water areas. It's just part of the game and part of the cruiser's skill set.

NormanS

Visit site
IMO basic seamanship includes snorkling equipment and swimming skills to solve certain minor problems, like a net/trap rope around the prop or a fouled anchor. A wet suit or drysuit is part of this in cold water areas. It's just part of the game and part of the cruiser's skill set.
There is a world of difference between freeing a fouled propeller at three feet below the surface, and freeing a fouled anchor at thirty feet below the surface. (Imperial measurements for non metrics).
My skill set definitely does not include the latter.

Stemar

Visit site
In that case, given the age of many boaters, I reckon that basic seamanship is lacking in many. I'm not going to dive on my prop in any conditions short of a flat calm, and I know I can't dive deeper than about 15ft and do anything useful. The last time I tried was almost 20 years ago, and I doubt I've got any better at it since.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Yes. No one answer for all problems.

That said, 20 feet normally would not pose any special problem for an experienced snorkler. Most of the time all you are doing is attaching a tripping line to the hoop. down and up. This can often be aided, in fouling waters, by adding a ~ 5-10' Dyneema strop to the bar, which floats, making the dive rather shallow and quick. This is common some places and poses no threat to other boats. I've done this in places known to have problems with logs on the bottom (many US rivers, draining very large areas and having very large flows in the spring snowmelt, bring down a lot of logs and debris). Yes, the spring water is still cold, but pop on a drysuit over whatever you're wearing and you're done in a few minutes, and like James Bond, still dry.

Just one more option to consider. The rings people suggest are completely worthless in this sort of snag, since the shank is normally tight to the log and there are often some branches in the way. A line to the back of the fluke is what works. Also a line to a good windlass or winch; often you can lift the snag enough, get a line on the back of the fluke, and then drop the snag. Sometimes. Often. Someone mentioned this.

I've only lost one anchor. The tide was running ~ 3 knots and there was just no practical way to work the problem. And that makes a point too, which another poster previously mentioned. Leaving an anchor every 1000 times or so is really just not a big deal. Carry a spare and don't stress about it. Look at it as an opportunity to freshen up the shackle and possibly upgrade used tackle. When you have lemons, make lemonade.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
and freeing a fouled anchor at thirty feet below the surface.
My skill set definitely does not include the latter.
We have sometimes anchored with crocodiles and hippoes around, or very frequently do in waters with 10cm visibility, strong currents and the like, no way I would put one foot in the water :D

pmagowan

sites.google.com
So, in conclusion, if you anchor with dangerous beasties in areas where there are a myriad of submerged yachts, trees and the lost city of Atlantas surrounded by a crowd of numpties dropping chain everywhere and ploughing randomly across the anchorage, you might be better to attach a tripping line, or seek a better anchorage. For everyone else save yourself the heartache, relax and keep a snorkel in the bilge for good luck.