Anchor chain length

michael_w

Visit site
50m was more than adequete for an Atlantic Circuit; never used the entire length. We did carry an additional 10m length for use with the kedge, which was normally stowed in the bilge.

Are the huge lengths some people carry, the reason why their boats hobby horse whilst trying to sail upwind?

Last edited:

geem

Visit site
We on a 44ft heavy dispacement yacht currently in the Caribbean. We have 70m of 10m chain and a spade anchor. In addition we have 50m of anchorplait that is 24mm diameter. The anchorplait is permanently connected to the chain but sits outside the chain locker. Our chain locker is under the bow locker so easy to bag the rode and leave it connected above the chain locker. We have not yet needed the anchorplait. The reason for the rode being permanently connected is that if we ever need it it is possible it may be in an emergency. I dont want to be trying to add rode under an emergency situation. The reson it is 24mm is that it will have better resistance to abbarasion. I can lose a few strands to chafe without losing my ground tackle.
We always use a snubber. it is about 14mm three strans rope with a chain hook. depending on depth of water and wind conditions we vary the length of it. when its gusting 40kts we have a lot of snubber out. Usually about 35ft. we take it over the bow roller and back to our cleats that are mounted six feet back from the bow. this gives a little extra snubbing effect. we are a ketch so we dont sail around our anchor with the extra windage from the mizzen mast. We just sit there and never seem to move much unlike a lot of yachts around us.

Sybarite

Visit site
Catenary? Forget about it one the boat starts tacking side to side to the anchor. And forget if there's a seaway. Add 20m or more of nylon snubber - gives you 2m - 3m of spring. Much more effective at softening the ride.

Have you used a bucket hung off the bow to dampen the sheering?

geem

Visit site
One thing to bear in mind. We see a lot of people with poles or sticks trying to push their anchor chain into their anchor locker. I thing many yachts are not designed to take the long lengths of chain they have attached to their anchors or their chain lockers are poorly designed. if the chain locker is small I wouldnt like to have to go through this prodding process to get it all to fit in the locker. if you ever need to get the chain up fast that last thing you need is too much chain in the locker jamming up on you. 70m of 10mm chain is our limit but the 50m of anchorplait sits outside of the anchor locker for this reason. we dont prod our chain to get it to fit.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
One thing to bear in mind. We see a lot of people with poles or sticks trying to push their anchor chain into their anchor locker. I thing many yachts are not designed to take the long lengths of chain they have attached to their anchors or their chain lockers are poorly designed. if the chain locker is small I wouldnt like to have to go through this prodding process to get it all to fit in the locker. if you ever need to get the chain up fast that last thing you need is too much chain in the locker jamming up on you. 70m of 10mm chain is our limit but the 50m of anchorplait sits outside of the anchor locker for this reason. we dont prod our chain to get it to fit.
I think you may find the problem isn't the locker too small , but the chain piles up so you have to push the chain over ! Even now with an big locker that would take two more anchors and God know what else I still have to push my chain to stop it pile up

geem

Visit site
I think you may find the problem isn't the locker too small , but the chain piles up so you have to push the chain over ! Even now with an big locker that would take two more anchors and God know what else I still have to push my chain to stop it pile up

So why dont you just let it pile up? isnt that what its suppose to do?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
'Cos the pyramid of the pile blocks entry to the chain locker before the locker is full. In some installations you then get a jam at the winch exit . . .

One crew told me they used a traffic marker cone to prevent a pyramid forming.

Thanks jim for explaining , I did once in my old moody 336 stick an half of a football in side the door of the locker hoping it would displace the chain , but that didn't work ..

Tranona

Visit site
'Cos the pyramid of the pile blocks entry to the chain locker before the locker is full. In some installations you then get a jam at the winch exit . . .

One crew told me they used a traffic marker cone to prevent a pyramid forming.

Isn't the underlying problem that a locker in the bows, as in most boats is simply not deep enough and the wrong shape tapering as it does at the bottom. Moving the locker aft where the hull is deeper is the answer, but incompatible with the common layout forward.

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
Thanks jim for explaining , I did once in my old moody 336 stick an half of a football in side the door of the locker hoping it would displace the chain , but that didn't work ..

Nothing I've tried stops the pile up, rubbish when you need to move in a hurry and stopping to shove chain over... That said we've got bright shiny new chain so no more rust embedded in my nails :) oh the glamour of boats :ambivalence:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Nothing I've tried stops the pile up, rubbish when you need to move in a hurry and stopping to shove chain over... That said we've got bright shiny new chain so no more rust embedded in my nails :) oh the glamour of boats :ambivalence:

Lucky you , we had to cut 35 mts off this year and throw away , what we broughth from Messilonhi 3 three ago , good quality chain or so he said , and replaced it with another good quality chain , or so he said .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Isn't the underlying problem that a locker in the bows, as in most boats is simply not deep enough and the wrong shape tapering as it does at the bottom. Moving the locker aft where the hull is deeper is the answer, but incompatible with the common layout forward.

We have an open locker now , carrying 85 mts of 10 mm , the lock is so big that in the winter we store the out board a big bucket with rope and chain for our fortess , our fortess and a 16 k delta and there still room to throw in all our mooing lines , but still our chain pile up at times .

geem

Visit site
geen , you trying to teach old ducks here how to suck eggs my friend ,

I was just trying to understand your problem not suggest a solution. just wondering if the original designers intent was for the pyramid of chain to sit just under the point of entry of the chain into the locker? I appreciate that this doesnt allow the chain to fill the locker but was that the original designers intent? My chain nowhere near fills the available space and to be honest I wouldnt want to carry so much chain that it did, due to the weight forward. The orignal design drawings for my boat say 70m of 10mm chain. There is enough space in the locker for at least double that but I would need a stick to push it onto the corners. No intent to teach egg sucking :)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I was just trying to understand your problem not suggest a solution. just wondering if the original designers intent was for the pyramid of chain to sit just under the point of entry of the chain into the locker? I appreciate that this doesnt allow the chain to fill the locker but was that the original designers intent? My chain nowhere near fills the available space and to be honest I wouldnt want to carry so much chain that it did, due to the weight forward. The orignal design drawings for my boat say 70m of 10mm chain. There is enough space in the locker for at least double that but I would need a stick to push it onto the corners. No intent to teach egg sucking :)
Yea that's fine no problem , you will fine quite a lot of people have the same problem and if it inside an enclose locker ie the only way to get to it is inside the boat then the only option their have is to poke it .
We luck we only need to shift it with our hands

Robin

Visit site
Yea that's fine no problem , you will fine quite a lot of people have the same problem and if it inside an enclose locker ie the only way to get to it is inside the boat then the only option their have is to poke it .
We luck we only need to shift it with our hands

I have a telescopic gaff, like a crook ( but with a sharp point I leave the cap on) that I can use to tug the down falling chain with to move it away from the volcano that has built up. We have a spacious foredeck anchor locker but the chain wants to stow only in a patch about 15" x 15". I had two hip replacements and a stroke and hands an knees in the pointy end whilst raising the anchor is a PITA but the the gaff is a big help as I can do it all whilst standing up. Getting old requires extra guile!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I have a telescopic gaff, like a crook ( but with a sharp point I leave the cap on) that I can use to tug the down falling chain with to move it away from the volcano that has built up. We have a spacious foredeck anchor locker but the chain wants to stow only in a patch about 15" x 15". I had two hip replacements and a stroke and hands an knees in the pointy end whilst raising the anchor is a PITA but the the gaff is a big help as I can do it all whilst standing up. Getting old requires extra guile!
Hi Robin
I have no choses in the matter the gaffer tell me what to do I just do it :) .
We not getting older mate , at our age we just get younger