My first ever anchor thread .... I've bought a new anchor, am I going to die as a result?

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have got an anchor. :D
Well 2 actually, but I keep one in the back of the garage at home.
The one in the bow of my boat is used to persuade idiots in locks to move along the wall to allow others to get into the lock. Works wonders .

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Anchor shanks more frequently bend in the horizontal direction. A hole in the centre of the shank will make this more likely.
Structurally, why? Sorry, no way. In other words: with a tiny hole, they will bend horizontally with a very marginally higher load.
Check resistance modulus whatever neutral axis you want, the variation in stress will be well inside the manufacturers safety factors :) Or ask Fortress for their thin flat shank, or most anchor makers why they do not maximise shank resistance modulus in 360° direction and decide to go for flat shanks. Have a look at old CQR shanks, like a railroad beam section.
If shanks bend more in horizontal direction, they will very marginally bend more if they have a tiny hole along the neutral line. Will a central tiny hole change anything with a side loading of a shank? Very, very marginally, say nothing: it will bend with a very tiny % lower load. Physics, not opinions :)
(apologies I do not have the correct technical terms in English, too many languages :) )

Bouba

Visit site
(y) as in post #38 ... the kink in the shank is exactly where the hole was drilled.
Structurally, why? Sorry, no way. In other words: with a tiny hole, they will bend horizontally with a very marginally higher load.
Check resistance modulus whatever neutral axis you want, the variation in stress will be well inside the manufacturers safety factors :) Or ask Fortress for their thin flat shank, or most anchor makers why they do not maximise shank resistance modulus in 360° direction and decide to go for flat shanks. Have a look at old CQR shanks, like a railroad beam section.
If shanks bend more in horizontal direction, they will very marginally bend more if they have a tiny hole along the neutral line. Will a central tiny hole change anything with a side loading of a shank? Very, very marginally, say nothing: it will bend with a very tiny % lower load. Physics, not opinions :)
(apologies I do not have the correct technical terms in English, too many languages :) )
The whole hole story was just to get Mrs Baggywinkle to agree.....there’s only one reason he bought that anchor.....it’s shiny.....really shiny

Bouba

Visit site
My wife wants me to buy a boat………no mention of an anchour,so I can slip it in😏
Take home the anchor first....let her see the shininess .....caress the smoothness.....let her appreciate all the love and care you devote to keeping the anchor looking wonderful. She will then come to realize that the boat that gets attached to that anchor must also be spectacular......

Wansworth

Visit site
Take home the anchor first....let her see the shininess .....caress the smoothness.....let her appreciate all the love and care you devote to keeping the anchor looking wonderful. She will then come to realize that the boat that gets attached to that anchor must also be spectacular......
That’s so meaningful,thanks

Stemar

Visit site
My wife wants me to buy a boat………no mention of an anchour,so I can slip it in😏
I've heard many a story of wives who are reluctant to let hubby buy a boat, but not so many where she wants the boat and he doesn't.

Yes, we've heard all your protestations about how much you want one, but actions speak louder than words. Methinks the Wansy doth protest too much ;)

Wansworth

Visit site
I've heard many a story of wives who are reluctant to let hubby buy a boat, but not so many where she wants the boat and he doesn't.

Yes, we've heard all your protestations about how much you want one, but actions speak louder than words. Methinks the Wansy doth protest too much ;)
Honest guv…….its the choice of anchour that’s holding me back!

shan

Visit site
The anchor equipment is always the first thing I overhaul on a boat. I anchor whenever possible and would rather anchor than sit in a marina. This is what I use to justify my investments in ground tackle and accessories - I don't necessarily trust second hand anchors, and one with an extra hole in the shank means a new anchor IMO.

So I did some online comparisons .... a galvanised 25kg Rocna MkII which is a direct competitor can be had in Germany for around €1650 ... going with something else like a Lewmar Epsilon (galvanised) would be about €1000 - Stainless Steel versions of these anchors are all around €3k

So from those 3 - Rocna, Epsilon and Ultra I can only get a saving by going galvanised, and there's nothing in it if they are all stainless steel.

I already have a 10mm SS chain which is gorgeous - I am now a SS chain convert - it drops into the anchor locker like a dream and doesn't bunch or back up at all. It's also very shiny - I've gone over it all quite carefully. I've also renewed the remote, cleaned up the anchor locker, and it's beginning to look really rather well organised and workmanlike.

The chain must have cost the previous owner somewhere in the region of 5K but there is only 50m of it (upgrade 2 in a few years will take that up to 80) ... so why did he skimp on the anchor? I don't know but it needs to be put right.

Now comes the man-maths .... an overnight berth in a marina costs around €90 these days ... so an Ultra is the same price as about a month of overnight marina fees. I intend to keep the boat for at least a decade or more and I'd easily rack up a month in a marina if I had ground tackle I wasn't 100% happy with ..... so I ordered it.

.... and it arrived yesterday, and it's very shiny. :love: .... my precious ....

View attachment 184100

... you can see it hanging from the shank :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: .... in for a penny etc.
You’re not Mr Shan in disguise, are you? Your man math has a very similar quality to it.