AMEERAS LEGS With pix, a journey to the dark side

drewstwos

Visit site
Ameeras legs. Yes, of course there are pics!

Well I suppose I should start this tale with a bit of background. Lest I be accused of leading you all up the garden path, Ameera, the lady in question, is a 28ft Pacesetter. Oh dear, and other such nautical expressions, is this a tale of a journey to the Dark Side. Yes it is and for a very good reason. I was brought up under sail so to speak and through advancing years I had migrated to the ease of "turn the key and go". But candidly, costs were soaring generally and being on a more or less fixed income the Mobo had to go. So this was a perfect time to somehow still be able to get onto the water.

As I still have the mooring in Port St Mary, and Neddie Seagoon, being virtually unable to use Ameera due to complete congestion in Douglas Harbour, it was just right for a move. After weeks of trying to get the weather, the tides and time off to coalesce everything fell into place and the day arrived.

Ameera had been moved about due to dredging work so when we arrived and found her, she was against the wall with three other same size boats outboard. Mooring lines draped in every direction. I wish I had been able to take some pix of this but while trying to sort lines out and fending off question from a gawking crown of visitors, this being TT week, I was fully occupied.

Suffice to say that we did get clear in a hurry as the lift bridge at the harbour mouth was raised and the traffic was backing up in both directions. As we arrived at the bridge we were stopped to allow 6 yachts into the basin. Finally we got clear, and I took her out and round Douglas Head and headed south, well southeast to be exact.

The day was glorious. hot and sunny, not a cloud in the sky, but of course no wind at all.

So it was going to be a case of motor all the way. An interesting point here. Ameera has but a little 14 hp three cylinder power unit. but even so we were doing best part of 6/7 kts and that against my old boat with 180 hp doing little more. Well saily boats are very slippery, they have to be I suppose.

At last I had time to get the camera out and clicking. It was so hot the mist was quite thick so sorry for the poor quality of the distance shots.

Just after we rounded Douglas head, we very slowly passed another yacht heading south, both of us pottering along under power.

1912x684.jpg

She eventually headed into Derbyhaven.

Once settled we handed over the helm to George. I have used mobo wheel pilots before but was very impressed with this tiller version

2912x684.jpg

Of course here is the obligatory wake shot and a few others to set the scene.

7912x684.jpg

3912x684.jpg

11912x684.jpg

4912x684.jpg

We did spot one basking shark someway off and by the time I had got the camera ready....ahh! too late. But the next thing we saw really impressed me. At last a pot buoy done in the old fashioned correct way, even to the little flag on top. You could see it from a long way off.

6912x684.jpg

There was another one but let one photo suffice.

On past Santon Head.

8912x684.jpg

As I said earlier the mist was quite thick and almost out of sight of land at times until we arrived at Langness

13912x684.jpg

Now on to the bit about her legs. Ameera has a centreboard which is raised for drying out and being of the proverbial wine glass section she would fall over if standing on her own. So it had to be legs. I had made them out of 4 in square timber. 8 ft long. Some over engineering here but better safe than sorry for the Mark 1 version. A hole drilled through at the base to take the fore and aft lines. At the top another hole to take an eye bolt to which was attached a chain which lead to a ring bolt through the main chain plates. This was to avoid drilling through Ameeras side.

We arrived at Port St Mary and rafted against another yacht. We now had time to assemble the legs in position as this had not been done before, until the tide left us high and dry

Would the setup work or not. Of course the legs being wood they tried to float out from the vertical, but trial and error with lengths of rope cured that to some degree. When the fore and aft lines were hauled tight the legs actually rose to the extent the chains would allow. Great but were the legs the right length. Now the tide was falling rather too fast for comfort. but the water bring really clear we were able to see how much clearance there was. Some hasty changes made and then for better or worse, she was on the sand. Relief as we nearly had it right. just as few degrees to port, but safe.

17684x912.jpg

16912x684.jpg

The next day we moved her a few yards onto the half tide mooring, and made the necessary adjustments before she settled again. This time a tad to starboard, but a small change will sort that out.

20912x684.jpg

21912x684.jpg

Fortunately there is but 3 inches of sand over shale and rock in the harbour so there is no chance of het putting a leg into a hole.

Now finally we can be doing all the TLC she needs and hopefully spend some time at sea.

Cheers and have a great summer.

Drew

Neddie_Seagoon

www.yotblog.com
Cheers Drew. Sod's law that when I got my camera out the memory card was full!

I have been nervously checking her each day, not sure we have the perfect DIY yacht leg recipe yet, but getting closer with each tweak. I came up with the idea of trying somehow to fix the legs to the chain plates (thingys that hold the mast up) instead of the usual solution of bolting them through the hull, and Drew rigged up this arrangement using chain from the chainplates to the top of the legs, so we can adjust the length of the legs simply by moving the shackle to another link in the chain.

As Drew says, she's slippery. So for the mobo'ers - approx 1 litre per hour at 6 knots to move a 5 berth boat. Anyone else for the dark side?

It's really great to have her out of Douglas. Between the lifting bridge being a man road, the ferry traffic in and out of the harbour, and being almost always rafted against a wall it's not been the ideal berth for me for casual day-sailing. Now she's in PSM I'll be able to slip out when I fancy with much less hassle.

Greg2

Visit site
[QUOTE

As Drew says, she's slippery. So for the mobo'ers - approx 1 litre per hour at 6 knots to move a 5 berth boat. Anyone else for the dark side?.[/QUOTE]

interesting but unpalatable point here. Having sold our Targa we are on the verge of buying a yacht and accoring to the brokers we have spoken to we are not alone. Is the prognosis of ever higher fuel seen as a big issue or do people still see it as a relativlley minor part of overall boat ownership costs?

AndieMac

Visit site
I have been nervously checking her each day, not sure we have the perfect DIY yacht leg recipe yet, but getting closer with each tweak. I came up with the idea of trying somehow to fix the legs to the chain plates (thingys that hold the mast up) instead of the usual solution of bolting them through the hull, and Drew rigged up this arrangement using chain from the chainplates to the top of the legs, so we can adjust the length of the legs simply by moving the shackle to another link in the chain.

Looks a reasonable set-up Neddie, is the timber held against the hull with a big U-bolt through the alloy toe rails?
If so will it create gelcoat chafe on a windy/rough day as the boat settles on the hard due to extra movement?
Maybe a strip of nylon/teflon attached to timber on the inner edge as a wear plate?

The last pic shows a mobo with supporting legs just in front of the Nissan Micra, any chance of a picture of their arrangement?

Hope the new arrangement works out well.

AndieMac

Visit site
[QUOTE

As Drew says, she's slippery. So for the mobo'ers - approx 1 litre per hour at 6 knots to move a 5 berth boat. Anyone else for the dark side?.

interesting but unpalatable point here. Having sold our Targa we are on the verge of buying a yacht and accoring to the brokers we have spoken to we are not alone. Is the prognosis of ever higher fuel seen as a big issue or do people still see it as a relativlley minor part of overall boat ownership costs?[/QUOTE]

We are all subject to rising fuel prices.
The broker will always agree with you, to gain your confidence and to encourage the deal to complete, but could also be a yachtie themselves.

The relatively short boating season in high latitude countries like the UK, generally means limited engine hours in recreational vessels anyway.
Cruising distances may become shorter, but a small trade-off for the comfort of a protected helm and the power to overcome strong tides.

Neddie_Seagoon

www.yotblog.com
If so will it create gelcoat chafe on a windy/rough day as the boat settles on the hard due to extra movement?
Maybe a strip of nylon/teflon attached to timber on the inner edge as a wear plate?

The last pic shows a mobo with supporting legs just in front of the Nissan Micra, any chance of a picture of their arrangement?

Timber is held loosely against the hull by a couple of rope loops, but yes we are thinking about how to line the legs where they meet the hull to reduce wear.

I'll take a pic of the mobo next time I'm there, it has a short pair of conventional metal legs fitted through the hull either side of the stern.