Alternatives to deak for decking?

Rappey

Visit site
The fake teak on boats nowadays often looks more realistic than the real stuff.
With such realistic plastic why would anyone even bother with real wood ?
The only down side is that it's not that cheap.

Tranona

Visit site
Faux teak decks are fantastic and look totally real. Mine does anyway as we have it fitted alongside real teak and the two are indistinguishable!
But only when new and dry. Teak is a natural product and changes appearance over time. Many like the weathered look and the low level of maintenance in the early years. Just wash down regularly and clean once a year. Plastic looks plastic all the time and to my mind is just an affectation trying to be something that it is not.

Clearly others are happy with their choice, but faced with a £15k bill for a redeck on a 12m boat older boat, think most people would go for the cheaper paint.

Having said that, if you are willing to put in the effort and you are prepared to accept straight rather than swept strips there are ways of applying teak much cheaper than the more traditional ways. I did a 26 footer a few years ago for around £1k in materials - but a lot of time. Currently doing the coachroof either side of the companionway, about 1sqm for well less than £100 in materials. Next winter will do the cockpit seats and a hatch in the sole. Materials around £300. This is using 1.5mm construction veneers which are still available and will last probably 20 years, particularly if the cockpit is covered up in the winter to avoid the fallout from the atmosphere which is what kills teak, or rather the cleaning of the dirt. Would not do the whole deck as properly applied deck paint is satisfactory for this.

lustyd

Visit site
If you like the weathered look then you can buy the weathered look. That’s the great thing you choose the look and it stays like that forever

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
But only when new and dry. Teak is a natural product and changes appearance over time. Many like the weathered look and the low level of maintenance in the early years. Just wash down regularly and clean once a year. Plastic looks plastic all the time and to my mind is just an affectation trying to be something that it is not.

1. Not all 'faux teak' is plastic. The Marinedeck 2000 I fited on my previous boat is cork based. Didn't look plastic-y at all.
2. Not everyone likes the 'weathered' look of their teak. The teak on my current boat is only 12 years old and I try to keep it looking as 'new' as possible. An annual Semco treatment does the trick nicely.

Tranona

Visit site
1. Not all 'faux teak' is plastic. The Marinedeck 2000 I fited on my previous boat is cork based. Didn't look plastic-y at all.
2. Not everyone likes the 'weathered' look of their teak. The teak on my current boat is only 12 years old and I try to keep it looking as 'new' as possible. An annual Semco treatment does the trick nicely.
I did suggest the cork based decking in my first response. However it has neve really caught on in a big way, at least in the UK. Always wondered why they had to make it look like strips of teak with caulking in between when it would be equally effective as both a covering and non slip as just plain material!

Of course individuals have their preferences for looks - maybe old salts prefer the weathered look whereas Med poseurs with their huge MOBOs like the shiny yellow colour. Sorry for stereotypes.

Tranona

Visit site
If you like the weathered look then you can buy the weathered look. That’s the great thing you choose the look and it stays like that forever
So the choice is fake whatever you like - it is still expensive fake pretending to be something it is not. as with my comments on cork based coverings, why not save a lot of money and just use plain plastic sheeting rather than try and make it look like teak?

After all it does not contribute anything to the structure or protect anything on a GRP boat. It is only there for the marginal improvement (if any) in non slip.

£15k spent to potentially lower the value of your boat buys many times repainting of conventional deck paint.

MikeBz

Visit site
Are there any real wood alternatives to teak that are worth considering?

Lignia was an option but when I spoke with them a couple of years ago, I was told that they were suspending supply due to cracking.
We owned a wooden gaffer from 2007 to 2013 which had been decked with Iroko in the mid-90s. Treated with Semco it still looked great when we sold her.

I thought I read somewhere that Spirit Yachts were now looking for an alternative to Lignia because the producer had gone bust?

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
So the choice is fake whatever you like - it is still expensive fake pretending to be something it is not. as with my comments on cork based coverings, why not save a lot of money and just use plain plastic sheeting rather than try and make it look like teak?

After all it does not contribute anything to the structure or protect anything on a GRP boat. It is only there for the marginal improvement (if any) in non slip.

£15k spent to potentially lower the value of your boat buys many times repainting of conventional deck paint.
I don't think any folks are trying to fake their deck covering. If you had a whole deck covered with one piece of teak it would not look very nice. Particularly large yachts . The lines breaks things up. For mee , I would much prefer a composite or alternative wood deck than just paint. If I could afford it that is.

PCUK

Visit site

Putting real wood on a plastic boat is faking so plastic decking will be more "real"!

lustyd

Visit site
I’ve not seen any that look identical to teak. Link?
Well you wouldn't know you'd seen it, would you! The Permateek and Flexiteak both look identical to real teak, and you can choose how weathered you want that teak to look and have a mixture with different boards having different colours for more realism. I recommend going to the boat show for a closer look, the grain, texture and colours in the modern ones is truly amazing

Zing

Visit site
Well you wouldn't know you'd seen it, would you! The Permateek and Flexiteak both look identical to real teak, and you can choose how weathered you want that teak to look and have a mixture with different boards having different colours for more realism. I recommend going to the boat show for a closer look, the grain, texture and colours in the modern ones is truly amazing
I don't agree with that. From a distance yes, but up close it's not identical. Good enough, maybe. It's a personal judgement.

Ammonite

Visit site
Real teak, albeit veneer, Flexiteek (right) and Permateek (left). You can add more grain with 40 or 60 grit sand paper if you want more variation
20221030_125418_compress79.jpg

dankilb

Visit site
As I said, my quote was £2k so you're just showing your own wild biases again
Is that for cockpit only, presumably? Even if so, not bad. Plenty of anecdotal evidence quotes are approaching 5 figures minimum for a full deck all in.

I priced up Treadmaster as the next-cheapest alternative (low £1000s for cockpit and transom steps/platform on our 41’ AWB).

Our old teak has been in such a sorry state for so long, I’ve been offered a few local sources for (reclaimed) real teak. That might end up the cheapest.

If I had a bit of space on a credit card, I’d happily outsource it for a few £k for pro flexi/perma teak. Reckon installers can pick their price more these days, though.

lustyd

Visit site
Real teak, albeit veneer, Flexiteek (right) and Permateek (left). You can add more grain with 40 or 60 grit sand paper if you want more variation
View attachment 157897
To be fair that’s real old worn teak. I’m not aware of anyone making fake stuff with a knackered effect and doubt there’s a market. When new your teak would probably have looked very much like the others.

Ammonite

Visit site
To be fair that’s real old worn teak. I’m not aware of anyone making fake stuff with a knackered effect and doubt there’s a market. When new your teak would probably have looked very much like the others.
I don't know. Its a very popular look from what I've seen 😉 Maybe you're onto to something