Advice servicing an old Lewmar winch

Rolling Stone

Visit site
We have some old Lewmar winches which we need to service. Having never done it before, looking for advice on how and what to do.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0011[1].JPG
    IMG_0011[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 59

Boathook

Visit site
I thought that my lewmar winches were old but they look 'modern' compared with yours @Rolling Stone . When you come to service it, I would put a fairly tall box round it taped to the deck to catch any small parts that may 'spring' out.
Latest PBO has an article about servicing 'modern' winches where they mention a box.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Looks like undoing the four screws on the top would be a useful start. I doubt that many have any experience of such old kit, so you will just have to feel your way. As said, making sure you don't lose anything is essential.

Rolling Stone

Visit site
We had a discussion at St Kats over the weekend wether to pollish or leave weathered... concensus was weathered, there's a natural beauty to them.
Good idea re the box. We couldn't see any other way in apart from the screws at the top. Not aware we need any parts, they all work fine except they groan when spun quickly.

KevinV

Visit site
We had a discussion at St Kats over the weekend wether to pollish or leave weathered... concensus was weathered, there's a natural beauty to them.
Good idea re the box. We couldn't see any other way in apart from the screws at the top. Not aware we need any parts, they all work fine except they groan when spun quickly.
Couldn't agree more about leaving the patina, it's lovely.
Be very sure you have a perfectly fitting screwdriver, file one down to fit if needs be (preferably an old fashioned impact driver), you can't afford to mangle them. A week of daily penetrating oil would be a good idea too - make a plastacene dam if you have to.
Good luck, I for one would love to see some photos of the innards

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
We have some old Lewmar winches which we need to service. Having never done it before, looking for advice on how and what to do.

Thanks.
Once again, Dr. Google is your friend. Do a search "Servicing boat winches" loads of UT etc. Of course there are variations but winches are basically all the same so you can get ideas of what to be aware of.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
If they work well I would limit any "servicing" to taking the drum off and just lubing the moving parts. I regularly drip a little sewing machine oil on mine.

ghostlymoron2

Visit site
If they're stiff, they're probably caked in solidified grease. I degrease mine in paraffin before applying new grease VERY SPARINGLY to bearings. A few drops of oil on the pawls. Obviously replace any broken parts (if you can get them).

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Springs that work reasonably well can be made from rigging wire. The wire is hard drawn for strength but can usually be bent enough to form the required shape. Heating it will anneal it, destroying the springiness.

Refueler

Visit site

Thanks.

PLEASE PLEASE before dismantling .... take a box and cut it so you can place it round the base ... then it can catch any pawl / ball bearing / spring etc. that wants to go walkies !! Or a plastic bag .... anything that stops you losing that bit !

Wakatere

Visit site
I will make sure to take some pictures for you :)
Hi @Rolling Stone, did you succeed with the winches?

I have a pair I took off the boat (in working order) when I bought self-tailers and I've always intended to service them prior to selling them.

Edit - that made me go downstairs and take them to pieces - I think I shall have to make some springs.

Halo

Visit site
I had some of a similar vintage.
I used the same practice as is advised for modern winches - strip down- rinse everything off in paraffin using a shallow container and a paintbrush. Dry , lubricate with waterproof grease ( oil on pawls)
In my case a couple of springs had snapped. Fortunately I found a biro spring would cut down to just the right length and worked great. I replaced these each year in case of corrosion as they were not stainless.

Rolling Stone

Visit site
Hi @Rolling Stone, did you succeed with the winches?

I have a pair I took off the boat (in working order) when I bought self-tailers and I've always intended to service them prior to selling them.

Edit - that made me go downstairs and take them to pieces - I think I shall have to make some springs.
Not yet started, other jobs keep cropping up. It's on the list to do.