Absolute Tides

FWB

N/A
Visit site
Just got it and I like it. A huge plus for me is that it can display times in BST. I realise that this makes me a sailing numpty, but I've always found the whole adding an hour thing a nuisance.

One question though. With Harwich set as my home port when I click on "streams" I get a display of streams in the Solent area. Anyone know how I get the app to display streams at Harwich?

Select Streams, then at the top where it says Solent click on it and the list will be displayed. Click on the area you want.

RobBrown

Visit site
Iv'e used Android verison for 2 yrs. Think it is an excellent product for the minimal charge. Just seen the updated version and secodary ports great improvement. Display &layout is a bit different, but OK & already getting used to it after only a short play.

PS GMT or BST toggle is in bottom right dots icon.

Last edited:

dedwards

Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. Its good to get an immediate response from a new update.

lost a line of screen to an unnecessary menu - with unusual icons.
Is it now dumbed down to Apple lookalike rather than exploiting Android features?

This is actually the way Android is going. Google are retiring the menu button and expecting developers to use the toolbar instead.

I have however taken on board the comments and released a new update with the following modifications:
1. The blue has been toned down a bit, especially on the widget.
2. I've replaced some of the more difficult to interpret icons with text buttons.

dgadee

Visit site
Yes, I just loaded it a few days ago and like it. However, coming from Howth up to Bangor it looked as though the tide turned at Donaghadee sound before the app suggested it would by about an hour. I wondered whether setting BST rather than UTC for tides was applied over to the tidal flow diagrams too?

I want to set it up for a boat which is on a half tide mooring so that I can roughly tell when I will float. Is tide height offset what does that?

dunedin

Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. Its good to get an immediate response from a new update.

This is actually the way Android is going. Google are retiring the menu button and expecting developers to use the toolbar instead.

I have however taken on board the comments and released a new update with the following modifications:
2. I've replaced some of the more difficult to interpret icons with text buttons.

Fantastic. Such a quick response. Have taken my sunglasses back off :). And yes text easier to interpret than the icons (for the target market?)
Great stuff - the widget remains the top one on my home screen

Plum

Visit site

Thanks. Based on above postings i have downloaded the app and agree it is the best. Well done. A suggestion: once a port has been selected, it would be nice if when i select tidal stream or weather i get the streams and forcast related to that port so i dont have to reselect the desired area.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Plum

Visit site

More feedback, under standard port Walton on Naze there is a secondary port called "bar". Where is that? Which bar?

Also, under standard port Dover there is a secondary port "Richborough". Is that the place in Kent near Sandwich? Can't find it anywhere else on the coast.

Thanks

oldbilbo

Visit site
It's good. I have it and use it... and will happily pay a couple of quid for the periodic data, periodially.

Er, my Android thingy shows me 2015 AND 2016 data. How do I get rid of the old 2015 stuff, please?

It may be valuable to have some little warning icons or 'hotspots' displayed on the tide stream pages, at significant locations such as Portland Bill, Start Point, The Lizard which, if queried (?) give the info that 'Tide stream turns westerly at Xxx UTC' or 'Inshore stream already turned' and so on.

I suspect some parts of the target audience may find that helpful.

Plum

Visit site
It may be valuable to have some little warning icons or 'hotspots' displayed on the tide stream pages, at significant locations such as Portland Bill, Start Point, The Lizard which, if queried (?) give the info that 'Tide stream turns westerly at Xxx UTC' or 'Inshore stream already turned' and so on.

I suspect some parts of the target audience may find that helpful.

Good idea, plus many other such as Dungeness and Ramsgate/North Foreland.

dedwards

Visit site
I want to set it up for a boat which is on a half tide mooring so that I can roughly tell when I will float. Is tide height offset what does that?

If you adjust the tide height offset to the Chart Datum depth of your mooring then the curve will reflect the depth of water at your mooring. This would make it easier to tell when your boat will float.
Alternatively, if you know that your boat floats when the tidal depth is xx metres then you can use the Highlighted Tides mode (icon looks like a curve with a single line through it) and the chart will switch to showing the times that the tide is at the depth that you are interested in instead of the highs and lows.

under standard port Walton on Naze there is a secondary port called "bar". Where is that? Which bar?

Also, under standard port Dover there is a secondary port "Richborough". Is that the place in Kent near Sandwich? Can't find it anywhere else on the coast.

'Bar' is Orford Haven Bar. This is a typo that will be fixed the next time the data is updated. Richborough is the one near Sandwich. I can only assume this was for the wharf at the now demolished Richborough power station. Please note btw that secondary ports are listed in geographic order so this should always give a strong clue as to the actual location of the port.

Er, my Android thingy shows me 2015 AND 2016 data. How do I get rid of the old 2015 stuff, please?

Assuming you downloaded it using the old method, you should find "UK Tides 2015" in your list of apps in your phone's settings. Uninstalling it from there will remove the ports from your phone. (btw they will disappear in the latest update to the app anyway as the new version doesn't show old style port data)

dgadee

Visit site
Alternatively, if you know that your boat floats when the tidal depth is xx metres then you can use the Highlighted Tides mode (icon looks like a curve with a single line through it) and the chart will switch to showing the times that the tide is at the depth that you are interested in instead of the highs and lows.

Yes, boat floats at 1.5m Belfast, and what I have been doing is just looking when that happens. I am not really sure what the various lines which appear on the screen mean when in the HT mode, though, so perhaps a short help screen?

dedwards

Visit site
Yes, boat floats at 1.5m Belfast, and what I have been doing is just looking when that happens. I am not really sure what the various lines which appear on the screen mean when in the HT mode, though, so perhaps a short help screen?

The grey line is your highlighted tide, drag it down to 1.5m and then the times will tell you when the tide crosses that line. As with the normal view, you still have the red line showing the current height and the green lines showing the height at the time selected by the slider beneath the chart.

Colhel: I'll look into your issue. There were no intentional changes in that area.