Absolute Tides

eddystone

Visit site
Just wanted to recommend Absolute Tides as an excellent app. The 2016 version is much better although it could be that the the iPhone version is better as changed from android phone earlier this year.

JimC

Visit site
I agree, I tried a variety of tide apps before settling on Absolute Tides. The app itself is free but you have to pay £2.00 per year for the tidal info'. Adding secondary ports is easy. It also gives you the inshore waters forecast for the area where you're checking the tides. All in all v. good. My experience is with the Android version.

cpedw

Visit site
Another satisfied customer of the Android version. I particularly like the display of tidal stream data, using pages from the Admiralty tidal atlas with the appropriate page selected for the time/day of interest. Saves working out what the state of tide at Dover is.

I find the selection of ports a bit clunky - you have to be viewing the correct Primary port before you can create data for a new Secondary. But it only takes seconds to go back and set that right.

Derek

Rafiki

Visit site
Another very happy user ( on android) . Agree with point about setting up secondary tides, but once set up they are there for you to use for the rest of the year offline.

Andrew

FWB

N/A
Visit site
Absolute Tides is ok but Tides Planner is much better.
Tides Planner by Imray
https://appsto.re/gb/LGS8s.i
Edit.. I've been a little unfair, I preferTides Planner to Absolute Tides but both are good apps, I have both.

Last edited:

oldsalt

Visit site
Impression is that OP now has iPhone.

Very true, apologies. Imray make some good apps, but I prefer to keep a cheapo Android tablet permanently onboard for navigation, and keep my expensive iPad ashore. I don't mind splashing out just over 100 quid for a new Android tablet, but I would be peed off if I had to do the same with my 700 quid iPad! I use Absolute Tides and am highly pleased with it...excellent app.

Last edited:

dedwards

Visit site
Absolute Tides is brilliant. The guy who runs it is a forumite, but I've yet to see him push it here.

Yes, I'm a forumite 1st and app developer 2nd so try not to abuse the forums.
Would like to clarify something people were discussing earlier though... I wrote the Apple version with an upgraded interface (including doing away with the fiddlyness of the 2nd ports). Its taken me a while but I yesterday released an android update which now too contains the new interface so if you have the android app make sure you check out the update.

Paella: Absolute Tide's data is taken directly from the UKHO whilst last time I checked Navionics wasn't. I'm not aware of any other Android app that provides UKHO data offline.
Alternatively, on iOs, Tides Planner is the only other app that I know of that provides offline UKHO based data (though they do it in a slightly different way to me so there could be some inconsequential discrepancies).

Absolute Tides is still growing so if people think it is missing some important functionality then i'm more than happy to hear suggestions for improvement.

eddystone

Visit site
Yes, I'm a forumite 1st and app developer 2nd so try not to abuse the forums.
Would like to clarify something people were discussing earlier though... I wrote the Apple version with an upgraded interface (including doing away with the fiddlyness of the 2nd ports). Its taken me a while but I yesterday released an android update which now too contains the new interface so if you have the android app make sure you check out the update.

Paella: Absolute Tide's data is taken directly from the UKHO whilst last time I checked Navionics wasn't. I'm not aware of any other Android app that provides UKHO data offline.
Alternatively, on iOs, Tides Planner is the only other app that I know of that provides offline UKHO based data (though they do it in a slightly different way to me so there could be some inconsequential discrepancies).

Absolute Tides is still growing so if people think it is missing some important functionality then i'm more than happy to hear suggestions for improvement.

Not so much a suggestion as a question - where do you think Navionics gets its data for tidal streams because I don't think the very localised data they have approximates to tidal diamonds on the charts. It would be fantastic if Absolute Tides had that level of detail on streams but not sure where you would get the data from.

dunedin

Visit site
Thanks. Agree it is a great App.
But Just downloaded the updated Android version.
Seems to have lost the use of the Android dedicated menu key - and turned a garish blue compared to the calm black ('most notably on the home screen widget which may have to go as a result).
Also lost a line of screen to an unnecessary menu - with unusual icons.
Is it now dumbed down to Apple lookalike rather than exploiting Android features?

fredrussell

Visit site
Just got it and I like it. A huge plus for me is that it can display times in BST. I realise that this makes me a sailing numpty, but I've always found the whole adding an hour thing a nuisance.

One question though. With Harwich set as my home port when I click on "streams" I get a display of streams in the Solent area. Anyone know how I get the app to display streams at Harwich?