About to sail for first time - advice needed!

Samir

Visit site
Hi there, I have found this forum by complete accident just surfing round the web.

A good friend of mine has invited me for a week long yatch trip round the South Coast. He and his dad are experienced sailors and I am really keen on going. However, I have never done anything like this before and I am not a very strong swimmer either.

I just want to ask the experienced users of this forum about safety issues. Due to my lack of experience am I making a mistake by doing this? Should I make sure I am insured? Are accidents likely if you are a first timer?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can spare a moment to respond with any advice, or perhaps just a pointer to appropriate web sites for beginners that can give me info.

Cheers,

Samir

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sunnyseeker

Visit site
Its completely safe but you may feel ill at times, just do what the skipper tells you and enjoy the ride. As a beginner there will be plenty for you to do and learn.
I'm assuming the experienced friend doesn't have a death wish or is planning on sinking his boat for the insurance money?

<hr width=100% size=1>

temptress

gbr195t.com
Go for it.

If the people you are going wiht are both experianced then you should have no problems and I hope you enjoy yourself. Just make sure they give you a briefing on how the boat systems and saftey gear work before you go.

welcome to the world of sailing.

<hr width=100% size=1>Temptress of Down
Southsea Marina
Hants
UK

jimbouy

www.bluemoonlight.co.uk
Firstly you need to be happy about the ability of your friend and his father. Your safety will be pretty much in their hands.

Then think about your own personal safety. If your worried about falling in then you'll feel a lot happier wearing a good life jacket. Will this be provided? you might want a harness that you can clip yourself on with , again are these on the boat.

Then make sure you have clothing to suit. Nothing worse than being cold and damp, equally it can be very hot and you can easily sun burn.

same applies at night.

My most important personal items are 1) Big warm sleeping bag... not the restrictive mummy sort. 2) Faded salt stain shorts. 3) good wet weather gear 4) Sunnies

I reckon you'll enjoy it 100% But talk thru any worries you have. Perhaps ask them for a few stories about past trips they have made... that'll give a flavour of things.

Then prepare for a very enjoyable week

<hr width=100% size=1> "It is a pleasure to give advice, humiliating to need it, normal to ignore it"

jonhenderson

Visit site
We all had to go sailing for the first time once! The thing is, once you've been, you're hooked and there is no escape...

I echo the sentiments of other replies to date. Be comfortable with the people you're sailing with, listen, watch and try to understand why you're moving forwards and not capsizing. This will increase your enjoyment enormously.

Also, shed any machoisms (is that a word?) that you or your companions may have. There is nothing 'girly' about wanting to wear a lifejacket or to be clipped on with a harness. Unfortunately your average boy racer sailor might have these preconceptions - ignore them. Feel safe. Oh, and if you're told to duck, don't stop and ask why, just do it!

Out of interest, what will you be sailing?

<hr width=100% size=1>

aitchw

Visit site
I envy you, as a young person, being introduced to sailing this way instead of taking forty years to realise you don't need to be a millionaire to get started as was the case with me.

I would agree with everything said so far. Just enjoy the experience, it never wears off.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

I wont go into all the nitty bits that others will no doubt cover for you .....but advise this :

a) Stop worrying
b) Enjoy it - its one of lifes best bits !

Now on to some points that rarely get mentioned ....... a) shoes - wear good sport shoes preferably without black bits in the sole. tennis shoes are ideal - OR of course you may already have Docksider style anyway ..... b) try and keep down to one moderate sized holdall with your gear....... c) go on board with a suitable crate or box of drinks for your host etc. (not forgetting what you like of course !!)

If you do that - you'd be welcome on most boats !!!

As to joining in - the more you get involved - the better you'll like it ........ relax - its fun !!!

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ... and of course Yahoo groups :
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gps-navigator/

jimbouy

www.bluemoonlight.co.uk
"try and keep down to one moderate sized holdall with your gear....... "

Must agree on this... one soft holdall !!

A friend of mine always has two big holdalls... which is a lot even on a 36 ft BUT on my 17ft!!!!!

And keep your stuff tidy in your berth.

<hr width=100% size=1> "It is a pleasure to give advice, humiliating to need it, normal to ignore it"

Samir

Visit site
Wow, you have all been so helpful! Thanks alot to everyone who replied, I have read your advice carefully. I guess the term 'ethusiats' doesn't do you justice!

The guys I am going with do this every year. I have talked to them about kit and they echoed all that you have said about clothing etc. They have life jackets and harnesses for all crew, and again echoing what you have said they tell me there will be alot to do for a first timer.

To the person who asked, I'm not sure precisely what type of boat it is. I have to say the advice on taking a crate of drinks for the hosts is well met!

I am definitely looking forward to the week, thanks again for you responses and enthusiasm.

<hr width=100% size=1>

chuns

Visit site
You can repay our kindness...

...by telling us about it when you get back.

Hope to see a post from you in the future that is titled "First time boat buyer - advice needed"

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jeremy_W

Visit site
1 Observe baggage restrictions
2 Turn up on time: There is no "fashionably late" in sailing. If the plan is to leave the marina between 6 pm and 8 pm it may be physically impossible to do so after 8.30.
3 Pay attention when instructed how to use the toilet. It's not at all difficult but this vital information is usually crammed in at the end of a lightning tour of the yacht when your brain is packed with other information. Be prepared to say "run that past me again"!
4 Read "Cruising Crew" by Malcolm McKeag, published by Fernhurst.

<hr width=100% size=1>

nct1

Visit site
The above advice is all excellent

Sun cream is essential, the sun is MUCH stronger at sea

Sunglasses will reduce the glare

Wolly hat, if it is cold and windy will reduce heat loss and increase enjoyment

Ensure they have either a life raft or dinghy, then you have a plan B

Ensure they have a VHF radio to call for assistance (Plan A)

Minimise time spent below whilst at sea, to reduce the chances of sea sickness.

If feeling sea sick, ask whether they will let you helm, as scanning the horizon reduces the effect.

Enjoy, there is nothing like a good day's sailing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

fastjedi

Visit site
Read a book (or at least the few pages that describe the various points of sail) Getting this straight in your head before stepping on the yacht will make a big difference to your rate of learning onboard.

Having a mate who is offering to take you sailing for a week on the South Coast is a wonderful thing ... Enjoy!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jeremy_W

Visit site
and
5 Turn that bl##dy tap off!
Never leave taps running.
6 Remember "he who asks is a fool for a moment. He who doesn't ask is a fool forever".
If you don't understand, ASK at the first appropriate opportunity.

<hr width=100% size=1>