A video on our Princess F55….

John100156

Visit site
Just seen the video Henry, excellent selection rationale and what a really beautiful boat.

Hope you have many great trips out and about and she proves to be wholly reliable, look forward to future updates....

jfm

Visit site
Impressive! How's the force distributed on the hull?
Henry, nice job. Very nice video and very nice boat. Enjoyed watching it :)

Colin these things need to be bolted to glassed-in hull mounts not dissimilar to engine mounts.

If you think of 18000nm, and imagine the gyro to be a box about 1m wide, then you would mount the gyro on say two stringers glassed into the hull, 1m apart, and each of them would "feel" a push down or a pull up of about 1.8tonnes (if you'll forgive me the minor sin of using weight units rather than force). I imagine Henry's engines and gboxes weigh about 1.8 tonnes each, sitting on two stringers each, which have to take a vibrating load plus the propeller thrust. So you can see that in ballpark terms gyros need mounts that are similar to engine mounts.

Incidentally the 18000nm anti-roll torque is rarely felt. Gyros can provide a lot of ant-roll torque for a very short time period, or less torque for a longer period. It's one or the other, and you can't have both. The hydraulics that control the gyro precession make sure there is a good compromise so that, mostly, less than the 18000nm maximum anti-roll torque is applied for a usefully long period, which means that usually there is less force on the hull mounts. Of course the mounts still have to be sized for the maximum anti-roll torque.

jfm

Visit site
So would Princess have mounting points fitted as standard during production, or could they be retro fitted later?
Henry's gyro was installed in build, so the mounts were installed then.

Otherwise, I have never seen a boat with pre-installed mounts but no actual gyro. For retrofit gyros, the mounts are also retrofitted. Epoxy/GRP onto the existing inside surface of the hull, perhaps picking up existing stringers if you get lucky

andy59

Visit site
Really enjoyable video Henry, Mango is a lovely piece of kit and i have no doubt that you will have hours of enjoyment on board. Thanks for the tour and as you say, the space everywhere is really impressive/usable. Can't believe there isn't a way of venting a washer dryer to stop the moisture spreading about, an essential piece of kit if the skipper has a penchant for wandering about in his undercrackers 😊

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Hi Henry - do you notice any differences in the operation of the gyro in wash versus swell versus wind-driven waves conditions or does it just take everything in its stride in the same way?
It pretty much deals with whatever you throw at it. Sometimes it takes a roll and a half to establish its self (a bit like the shock absorber on a car).

But overall I’m a huge convert.

From a charter perspective we pretty much just drop the hook anywhere now whereas before I would be really conscious of not wanting to upset delicate customers.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Really enjoyable video Henry, Mango is a lovely piece of kit and i have no doubt that you will have hours of enjoyment on board. Thanks for the tour and as you say, the space everywhere is really impressive/usable. Can't believe there isn't a way of venting a washer dryer to stop the moisture spreading about, an essential piece of kit if the skipper has a penchant for wandering about in his undercrackers 😊
😂

I have my morning coffee and a slice of toast underpants, my mid day reading the papers underpants, my pre-dinner underpants.

We’ve just never felt the need for a washer on board and it goes against the grain of trying to preserve resources when travelling in remote areas.

Purely a personal opinion helped by the fact that Haslar has amazing commercial washers and dryers that swallow up loads of towels.