A Schengen Question

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
If it is an old boat, the VAT is not going to be onerous. HMRC are very reasonable for estimating value of used boats.

My boat was brand new when it was directly sailed from the builder in Canada to Cowes, Isle of Wight where it was imported.
The value retained by HM customs was 1/3 of the build cost. It did though have full RCD certification in place through a Netherlands based certification agent.

For an old boat, the expense and hassle will be complying to the current RCD II certification requirements. This will almost certainly entail replacing the engine to meet the new emissions requirements.

Legally speaking, it has to comply with those requirements from the moment it is imported and used in the UK by a UK resident. The killer is it has to comply to the current version of the RCD requirements and not those in place when it was built. Even though it was built in the UK.

Can you slip the boat into the UK under the radar without getting noticed???
No idea. But it is fraud and illegal.
Actually I think it could be quite easy even to the extent of making a false C1331 declaration, leave the country on a ferry then sail back and declare your arrival. I doubt that they will or would cross check. illegal yes and I am not advocating it but it's a low risk possibility.