A request for some East Coast wisdom

sailorman

Visit site

pvb

Visit site
The Westerly might be a bit steady for the OP and older Bavarias that, may or may not, "require minimal work" are not known for snappy performance either.

I think you've lost sight of the crux of the OP's question - he wants a boat which he'll enjoy sailing but which, more importantly, his wife and children will also enjoy being on. In 2020, that really rules out the dark, narrow confines of 40 year old boats.

xyachtdave

Visit site
Your suggestion is a good one. The OP's budget of £30K should buy a decent Bavaria 34 or 36 from around the year 2000. It would no doubt have better cockpit space, more modern electronics, more easily handled sails, much better cabin space, decent heads, etc. Above all, it would require minimal work before getting out on the water and enjoying it.

....but that Sigma 38 will make mincemeat of them in short order on any point of sail, even with a couple of reefs in!
For once I doubt if I would recommend my own type of yacht..

The OP did say he wanted fast, so a good call!

doug748

Visit site
I think you've lost sight of the crux of the OP's question - he wants a boat which he'll enjoy sailing but which, more importantly, his wife and children will also enjoy being on. In 2020, that really rules out the dark, narrow confines of 40 year old boats.

Ah, in contrast to the sparkling decor and wide open spaces of a twenty year old Bavaria.

xyachtdave

Visit site
Of course it will, but it doesn't have a family-friendly cockpit, it doesn't have heating, it doesn't apparently even have a shower. The OP needs a boat which his family will like!

Hadn’t noticed that, I just like Sigmas, all fair points!

fredrussell

Visit site
I’m obviously biased as I own one, but if you’re sailing out of the Deben, a lift keel boat would be my choice. The ability to cross the bar at LOW tide is a massive advantage, and you’re not so restricted by the sill(?) at the marina in Woodbridge. £30k budget should get you a Southerly, Parker or Feeling lift-keeler.

sailorman

Visit site
I’m obviously biased as I own one, but if you’re sailing out of the Deben, a lift keel boat would be my choice. The ability to cross the bar at LOW tide is a massive advantage, and you’re not so restricted by the sill(?) at the marina in Woodbridge. £30k budget should get you a Southerly, Parker or Feeling lift-keeler.
How much extra maintenance does the lifting keel add in labour & cost

fredrussell

Visit site
How much extra maintenance does the lifting keel add in labour & cost

Depends on the complexity of the keel i suppose. Super Seal has a wonderfully simple setup, never spent a penny on it. Parker and Southerly would need an overhaul once a decade or so I reckon. My Parker 31 has had about £3k spent on keel in the 29 years since it was built. £100 a year isn’t so bad really. For me, on the muddy and shallow east coast, the benefits far outweigh the costs.

doug748

Visit site

I apologise for a huge thread drift here but, for those who have not seen it, the Parker moulds are for sale:

Parker 275/285 and Parker 325/335 boat mould tools - boat moulds - yacht moulds | eBay

Nice little business for someone with a large private income : - }

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk

Marmalade

Visit site
At the risk of being accused of waving the Moody flag....
How about a Moody 31 or pay a little more for a 346? Choice of bilge, shoal or fin keels. Bulletproof boats and a good balance of fun v security.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Having done exactly what is being discussed here, family of 4 with two young kids wife a non sailor, I'll bore you with my experience.

Bought a small boat, L17, based on the Deben. Took the family out a few times was not fun for them,. they didn't want to go.
Upgraded to a L23sl, got better they enjoyed it more and we did some longer trips but being in the Deben was a PITA. For a family sailing you are limited so much by the tides and daylight.
We moved to Shotley, all of sudden we were sailing 5 times as much and enjoying it more. However with the small boat it was still a PITA.

It then reached a crunch point, and we almost gave up ( read admiral gave up ). Luckily we have some friends who suggested a charter, so we chartered an Elan 38 in Croatia. The family loved it, and more importantly loved the sailing and the adventures it can bring.

When we came back to the UK, it was decided that we needed a bigger boat, and looked at loads, put some offers in only for the surveys to say no. We eventually found a 2000 Elan 36 in good condition, the admiral said this is ours so job done :)

Now the kids have a cabin each, they can bring friends on board to come for day sails and even overnight ( when we are allowed ). The admiral rarely lets me on the helm when we are sailing and has a big grin on her face. The kids love showing their friends everything works, and how to steer. They love showing friends around and giving them safety briefs :)
The cockpit is big enough for 6 adults to sit comfortably, and she is easy to single hand as you will need to do when your wife is dealing with the kids.

Don't worry too much about draft, we have 1.9m and the Elan sails like she is on rails. This makes it so much more fun for everyone. It also means we can reef early to keep the boat comfortable and still make a decent speed.

So lessons learned:
1. Get the family involved in the purchase.
2. Get something big enough for the kids to treat it as a caravan and have friends on board.
3. Make it a family adventure.
4. Go for a Marina berth / club pontoon. Just make sure you have walk on access. That way it's easy to go for the boat for a day and just hang out.
5. If your wife is not a sailor then get her to go on Comp Crew. It made such a difference to her confidence that I wish she done it earlier. It also helped her to understand what is going on and that I'm not just being a pratt ( no more than normal anyway ;) )

Sorry for the epic, hope that helps!