A request for some East Coast wisdom

leathertan

Visit site
Advice please.

I have sailed on the east coast forever, but never owned a boat with a toilet. Now is the time, you only live once! So with a keen but slightly nervous crew of four, my wife, two teenagers and one currently under ten, I embark on the daunting task of identifying a suitable vessel for around £30k. It seems the rest of the yachting world is aiming at deep keeled, flat bottomed, shorthanded ocean passage, rather than Estuary hoping in tidal waters. Hanging out on the aft beam all looks awesome but maybe a bit impractical for sailing that will start and end on the Deben.

The Beneteau first 27.7 seemed a perfect match, satisfying my desire for speed. But, with such a deep draft and big rig, it may prove to be initially a little lively for one sailor and four beginners. Any other suggestions gratefully received as I what to strike the balance between progression and biting off more than I can chew - loosing the crew. Thanks in advance, many will have been here i'm sure.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
You offer a complex mix to resolve and your desire for speed may need to be tempered for everyone elses likely desire for a bit of space. I would start with a discussion with the family to identify their priorities followed by a trip to one or two brokers with the family to inject a sense of realism. You'll lose them if you are not careful. I might also choose the Orwell as my 'beginner's river as opposed to the Deben given the potential challenge of its entrance.

leathertan

Visit site
If you have a slightly nervous crew of four, and want to sail fast on the shallow east coast, what about a big cat? Prout made some fine cats, and some of them now well within your budget
Thank you DavidofMersea, A cat is an interesting idea I hadn't really considered.

leathertan

Visit site
You offer a complex mix to resolve and your desire for speed may need to be tempered for everyone elses likely desire for a bit of space. I would start with a discussion with the family to identify their priorities followed by a trip to one or two brokers with the family to inject a sense of realism. You'll lose them if you are not careful. I might also choose the Orwell as my 'beginner's river as opposed to the Deben given the potential challenge of its entrance.
Thank you for your advice. The Orwell is a great suggestion, although I prefer Pin Mill as a destination rather than a home.

xyachtdave

Visit site
There's 5 of you, plus all the baggage, you want to go fast and have a £30k budget.

Here you go...

Sigma 38 Used Boat for Sale 1989 | TheYachtMarket

You don't have to use all that power all of the time, a couple of reefs and a small jib, the teenagers get a runner each, which will keep them off their phones etc and you'll soon be passing pretty much everybody else afloat!

Sleeps 10 if you don't mind a shelf, so not a problem if you have mates over/more children.

johnalison

Visit site
The question of draft is often discussed and is not easily solved. I have always gone for the middle option, ie a fin keel with moderate draft, since creek-crawling is not something that I have bothered with much. A shallow option such as bilge keels will probably compromise the boat's sailing performance, and won't generally appeal to keen sailors. A deep keel, say 2m, will impose some restrictions on local sailing, such as crossing half-tide routes and entering some harbours early but is entirely manageable if you also want to use the East Coast as a base for more offshore sailing.

The question of nervous crew is more dependant on the skipper's abilities than the boat itself. Develop the right skills and your crew will follow you anywhere. This includes judging weather conditions suitable for a satisfying passage rather than a tiring slog.

leathertan

Visit site
There's 5 of you, plus all the baggage, you want to go fast and have a £30k budget.

Here you go...

You don't have to use all that power all of the time, a couple of reefs and a small jib, the teenagers get a runner each, which will keep them off their phones etc and you'll soon be passing pretty much everybody else afloat!

Sleeps 10 if you don't mind a shelf, so not a problem if you have mates over/more children.
That is a whole lot of boat xyachtdave, I think I manned the runners on one of those for a mid 90's Burnham week. I had looked at that boat earlier today and my initial reaction is that it would be challenging short handed with the missus and without the rubgy team. Would your view be bigger and older, rather than smaller and younger? With so much relatively flat water on the East Coast I was in two minds.

sailorman

Visit site

Here you go...

thats a lot of powerful yacht for an inexperienced crew & a Prout is slow

pvb

Visit site
I might also choose the Orwell as my 'beginner's river as opposed to the Deben given the potential challenge of its entrance.

I'd totally agree. Although the Deben is undoubtedly pretty, it isn't an ideal place to base a boat for beginners. Get them used to sailing somewhere much more accessible, then decide if you'd like to move to the Deben.

sailorman

Visit site
I'd totally agree. Although the Deben is undoubtedly pretty, it isn't an ideal place to base a boat for beginners. Get them used to sailing somewhere much more accessible, then decide if you'd like to move to the Deben.
I started with a Silhouette 11 on the Deben in 1973, with the occasional trip out around The Cork LV, we even ventured to Brittlesea for a holiday

pvb

Visit site
I started with a Silhouette 11 on the Deben in 1973, with the occasional trip out around The Cork LV, we even ventured to Brittlesea for a holiday

But, knowing what you know now, would you recommend a guy with a family of novices to start off on the Deben?

sailorman

Visit site
Fair enough, but I certainly wouldn't. If that family is going to grow to love the boat, it'll need to be marina-based (at least to start with) and the Deben doesn't do that very well, unlike the Orwell.
my mooring was £2.20 PA when i started no way could i afford marina prices.
I had worked out i could afford to drive my Mini van there every 2 weeks with wife, 4 year old son + medium sized dog