A request for some East Coast wisdom

westhinder

Visit site
Having done exactly what is being discussed here, family of 4 with two young kids wife a non sailor, I'll bore you with my experience.
<snip>
Good story. I am convinced that is the way to go: get all the family involved so that they can all enjoy the experience in their own way. Too small a boat, too much hardship, ... it is a sure way to put them off sailing forever and that in turn will force you to give up as well

johnalison

Visit site
Good story. I am convinced that is the way to go: get all the family involved so that they can all enjoy the experience in their own way. Too small a boat, too much hardship, ... it is a sure way to put them off sailing forever and that in turn will force you to give up as well
My sailing companions and I all started with small boats, and most of us stuck around the 26-28' mark for many years. Almost all of us are still friends with our children, and the shared experience of learning to race and taking the boat foreign is something we still value. It was only their choice of spouses that kept them away from the sea (cruising opportunities in Walsall are limited), but they both come on the boat with us and their own children when they can. Most of our cruising then was from a half-tide pontoon or swinging mooring, and it was only in recent years that we have had a sprayhood, heater, fridge and electronics.

I'm not saying that this is something that modern sailors should be emulating, but it is a mistake to suppose that it was a miserable existence. It wasn't. It was enormous fun, and didn't cost much, especially if you think of all the paid-for holidays we never went on.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
My sailing companions and I all started with small boats, and most of us stuck around the 26-28' mark for many years. Almost all of us are still friends with our children, and the shared experience of learning to race and taking the boat foreign is something we still value. It was only their choice of spouses that kept them away from the sea (cruising opportunities in Walsall are limited), but they both come on the boat with us and their own children when they can. Most of our cruising then was from a half-tide pontoon or swinging mooring, and it was only in recent years that we have had a sprayhood, heater, fridge and electronics.

I'm not saying that this is something that modern sailors should be emulating, but it is a mistake to suppose that it was a miserable existence. It wasn't. It was enormous fun, and didn't cost much, especially if you think of all the paid-for holidays we never went on.

Hi John

I doubt very much that it was a miserable experience, and as you've met tweedle dum and tweedle dee on the 23SL you'll know they were enjoying themselves.

We just found that in order for the whole family to enjoy extended cruising and get the most out of it we needed to go bigger

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site

+1!- Debutante (1 child); wooden centreboarder (2 , then 3 kids), Liz 30 3 young teenagers) Centurion 32 (2 larger teenagers 1 at Uni. then 2 at uni, then all) then just wife and I! Now 2 of the offspring still sail and the 3rd. would except hubbie and 2 of their 3 children are very prone to seasickness. They have all ended up adventurous adults who are prepared to take responsibility, assess risk and accept less than comfortable accommodation on occasion. Living 10 miles from Walsall did not hold us back; indeed keeping the boats at Torquay, Pwllheli, Plymouth and the Orwell has meant we have cruised more of the British Isles than many!

RivalRedwing

Visit site
I find the challenge is maintaining the spirit and pleasures of 'our' earlier adventures whilst accepting that times have moved on a bit and so have expectations... (currently a Rival 34 with a family of four...)

johnalison

Visit site
Hi John

I doubt very much that it was a miserable experience, and as you've met tweedle dum and tweedle dee on the 23SL you'll know they were enjoying themselves.

We just found that in order for the whole family to enjoy extended cruising and get the most out of it we needed to go bigger
The reason that crustaceans such as myself go on about the olden days is that we are intensely jealous of the opportunities now available. Although I am jealous in a sense, there was a simplicity and quietness to sailing in the past which we will probably never see again due to the pressure of numbers. Even in the '70s there might only be one or two boats anchored in the Pyefleet on a Bank holiday. Photos of boats sailing in the '50s induce a certain longing in me.

Going abroad was something that most of us aspired to, but the chances of doing it seemed very distant. There was an item in YM local news at the time to the effect that Celandine, a well known local boat, had complete a cruise in the Channel Isles. This seemed very exotic, much as a sail to the Azores sounds today. It took a couple of boat changes before we could achieve a Channel Isle cruise in the late '80s. I don't know what you mean by extended cruising. I suspect that with the demands of schools you mean weeks rather than months, and certainly size gives you longer legs to do this with. 'Proper' cruising for most of us begins with retirement, when distances lose their challenge, but I'm not going to wish old age upon you. I hope that you and your menagerie get a lot of fun from the new boat, when Boris lets you.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
The reason that crustaceans such as myself go on about the olden days is that we are intensely jealous of the opportunities now available. Although I am jealous in a sense, there was a simplicity and quietness to sailing in the past which we will probably never see again due to the pressure of numbers. Even in the '70s there might only be one or two boats anchored in the Pyefleet on a Bank holiday. Photos of boats sailing in the '50s induce a certain longing in me.

Going abroad was something that most of us aspired to, but the chances of doing it
+1

PeterWright

Visit site
There's 5 of you, plus all the baggage, you want to go fast and have a £30k budget.

Here you go...

Sigma 38 Used Boat for Sale 1989 | TheYachtMarket

You don't have to use all that power all of the time, a couple of reefs and a small jib, the teenagers get a runner each, which will keep them off their phones etc and you'll soon be passing pretty much everybody else afloat!

Sleeps 10 if you don't mind a shelf, so not a problem if you have mates over/more children.
The Sigma 38 is a great boat, with one significant shortcoming, especially for a family: any average adult sized person standing in the cockpit when she gybes will get a severe blow to the head. In my view, that should rule it out for the OP.

johnalison

Visit site
The Sigma 38 is a great boat, with one significant shortcoming, especially for a family: any average adult sized person standing in the cockpit when she gybes will get a severe blow to the head. In my view, that should rule it out for the OP.
I think that someone mentioned running backstays on the Sigma. That doesn't sound like the recipe for an easy life as a family boat that isn't racing. I know they are fine sailing boats. I remember being overtaken by one in the Blackwater when I was motoring dead into the wind in my Sadler 29 and he was sailing.

xyachtdave

Visit site
The OP, leathertan, has not posted since Monday. Have some of the unhelpful posts stopped him from returning to read the posts in this thread?

I hadn’t noticed anything unhelpful, unless by unhelpful you mean an alternative opinion to those suggested.

Experienced sailor wants a fast boat, large enough for a growing family, has £30k, people make suggestions and discuss, that’s how the internet works!

Last edited: