A request for some East Coast wisdom

pvb

Visit site
my mooring was £2.20 PA when i started no way could i afford marina prices.
I had worked out i could afford to drive my Mini van there every 2 weeks with wife, 4 year old son + medium sized dog

Yes, and I remember when it were all fields round here!

But times are different. The OP is looking at £30K as a starting budget for the boat. The family will want easy access to the boat, not wet-bums in a dinghy. And they'll want shorepower for hot water, marina wifi if possible, decent toilets/showers, etc.

sailorman

Visit site
Yes, and I remember when it were all fields round here!

But times are different. The OP is looking at £30K as a starting budget for the boat. The family will want easy access to the boat, not wet-bums in a dinghy. And they'll want shorepower for hot water, marina wifi if possible, decent toilets/showers, etc.
They will be totally spoilt.
My phone hotspot is far better than our marina WiFi & can get 4G even at Wrabness

PaulRainbow

Visit site
27 foot racing boat, family of 5 (novices) on the Deben. I reckon it'll work out OK, if the object of the exercise is to put the family off of sailing for life so you can sail single handed.

I have a number of friends that will confirm, once you put the family off you can never get them back onboard.

[178529]

Visit site
Most people I know who sail from Paglesham have boats with drafts from 1.2 to 1.7 metres. I've had 1.5 m plus for years on the east coast and never had a problem.

sailorman

Visit site

xyachtdave

Visit site
That is a whole lot of boat xyachtdave, I think I manned the runners on one of those for a mid 90's Burnham week. I had looked at that boat earlier today and my initial reaction is that it would be challenging short handed with the missus and without the rubgy team. Would your view be bigger and older, rather than smaller and younger? With so much relatively flat water on the East Coast I was in two minds.

I'd think solid fast boats from the late 80's and earlier 90's are in the price range and would be my choice. That Sigma 38 is at the lower end of what they go for so likely to be a little tired. But as I mentioned you don't have to power it up all the time, so no need to frighten the crew unless you want to, it's fast and in budget!

Teenagers bring lots of stuff. The weather is so changeable even in the summer you can't really leave home without some wet gear, boots, warm hoodie etc. Add in the food/drinks and a bit of R&R like paddle boards, a dinghy, fishing gear etc and you'll run out of space quite quickly.

I know someone will be along shortly to tell us about their family holiday on a Wayfarer, fair play to them...we're trying to make this a success for you!

If the teens get a cabin each and can add a poster, keep their boat gear, personal trinkets, usb socket for their tech etc all the better.

Concerto

Visit site
My personal view would be to listen to what the family would like from a yacht and then see if there is one that fits their needs. Most family cruisers in the 28ft to 33ft range could possibly fit. A slightly slower design that was more stable would be my starting point to encourage the wife and kids to want to be onboard.

Questions that the OP needs to be ask are:
Do the children want to sleep together in the same cabin?
What sort of berth do husband and wife want? Climb into a berth over the pillows or from one side? Do you want a private cabin?
Does the loo compartment need a shower? If so then large tankage and water heating will be needed.
Is there cabin heating for the early/late part of the season?
Are the kids into anything sporty at weekends that could stop you sailing?

Once we know answers to the above then the forum can make recommendations. There are plenty of choices from many builders including Westerly, Moody, Sadler, Parker, etc.

doug748

Visit site