A place where to leave a ship in Scotland

tilmansailing

Visit site
Marinas in Scotland

Look at PBO, April issue. They have listed all the marinas in UK. Scottish marinas are on page 48. Unfortunately they do not also list facilities, but if you choose a marina and look it up on the internet (they mostly have websites) then you can see what is offered for the price.

SHUG

Visit site
Why when someone says they want to go to West of Scotland is so much effort put in to try to persuade them to go to the Clyde instead. It can only be agrophobia? The Clyde compares quite well with most cruising areas in the UK, except for that special one to the north west of it.
I can access either the Clyde via Loch Fyne or the west via the Sound Of Luing just as readily, but which way do you think I prefer to go?

Its just that there are many more places for storage around the Clyde and good transport links. Nae bother!!

ianj99

Visit site
An hello from France

I'm planning a trip from Lorient in french Brittany to northern Europe, if possible I wish to reach Svalbard Islands in two years. For the first step, I would leave my boat in Scottland during the winter 2011/2012, as close as possible to the western part, Oban would be a nice place because it is possible to go easely there by train or airplane.

So, I'm looking for a shipyard where it is possible to leave my gib'sea 105 in this area or in western Caledonian Canal. Could you give me an advice?

Best regards

I recommend Ardfern Yacht Centre, not far from Oban.

It is very picturesque and sheltered so you can leave it afloat, on a swinging mooring or on a pontoon berth, or have it ashore for the winter.

There are full boat yard facilities and the staff are very friendly and helpful.
There's also a very good chandlery and all the prices are very reasonable.

http://ardfernyacht.co.uk
Ian
PS I'm a satisfied customer, not an employee or shareholder!

Quandary

Visit site
While I agree with everything above about Ardfern, I would add two caveats, it has a high reputation for quality but also for cost and it is not an easy place to reach by public transport. That is why, though it is close to me, I did not recommend it. The only bus route in Argyll with more than two services a day is the A83 route Glasgow to Campbeltown which has 3 in winter and 5 in summer and the rural services are not well coordinated with it.
Oban is much more accessible.

Watson47

Visit site
Although you have specifically mentioned Scotland, perhaps you might also consider the North of Ireland.

I berth on a pontoon in Lough Foyle at;

http://www.londonderryport.com/marina.htm

... or alternatively very good Winter storage at nearby Coleraine Harbour;

http://ports.org.uk/port.asp?id=333

... and if you can then bear to leave Ireland .. :) .. both locations have good access to City of Derry airport and good bus links to Belfast and Dublin airports, although you can usually count on a drive from obliging local boat owners.

Last edited:

ianj99

Visit site
While I agree with everything above about Ardfern, I would add two caveats, it has a high reputation for quality but also for cost and it is not an easy place to reach by public transport. That is why, though it is close to me, I did not recommend it. The only bus route in Argyll with more than two services a day is the A83 route Glasgow to Campbeltown which has 3 in winter and 5 in summer and the rural services are not well coordinated with it.
Oban is much more accessible.

I can't comment on the yard's prices as I've not used anyone else and unless you can walk on water, accessing Oban requires a ferry trip from Oban Marina which is on the island of Kerrera. (for those who weren't aware of this!)

I
PS I'm not splitting hairs...!

Quandary

Visit site
I can't comment on the yard's prices as I've not used anyone else and unless you can walk on water, accessing Oban requires a ferry trip from Oban Marina which is on the island of Kerrera. (for those who weren't aware of this!)

I
PS I'm not splitting hairs...!

Are you sure your not, Oban has air, train and express bus services, the marina ferry is free, runs frequently even in winter, takes less than 20 mins. and leaves from the town centre.
To get to Ardfern he still gets the train or bus to Oban then has a pricey 1/2 hr. taxi ride to Ardfern, or he gets the bus to Lochgilphead and then a slightly cheaper taxi ride. I tend to regard taxis as uneconomic for one way rural trips over ten miles.

As I said in my first post, the OP has plenty of time to make arrangements after he gets here and can access the transport available for himself.

Last edited:

Kelpie

Visit site
I was a bit surprised to see people saying that you can reach Oban by air.
From what I've read it seems that, yes you can, but only if you live in Islay, Coll, or Tiree. Which I suspect will be of little help to the OP.

Are there daily (or at least, frequent) flights to Oban from e.g. Glasgow or Edinburgh?

ianj99

Visit site
As I said in my first post, the OP has plenty of time to make arrangements after he gets here and can access the transport available for himself.

So no reason why he can't go to Ardfern then!
(The cost of a taxi is hardly relevant compared to the cost a flight home for him in any case.)

I

paulrae

Visit site

Are there daily (or at least, frequent) flights to Oban from e.g. Glasgow or Edinburgh?

The sea plane (http://www.lochlomondseaplanes.com/) flies regularly from the centre of Glasgow and disembarks at a pontoon in Oban Marina. Quite a din if you're in the cockpit enjoying the peace and quiet, and then it taxis (do they taxi on water?) up to a pontoon a few metres away.

Quandary

Visit site
From what I've read it seems that, yes you can, but only if you live in Islay, Coll, or Tiree. Which I suspect will be of little help to the OP.

See post above, there are daily flights from just off Glasgow city centre to Oban, landing just off Kerrera marina with the option to go on to Tobermory, flies low up Loch Fyne along the Crinan Canal and then up the Sound Of Luing. Spectacular on a clear day, not too cheap but then neither is ordering a taxi to the airport from Ardfern marina. Very few of the passengers you see alighting on to the raft look like yachties though, men in suits and girls in short skirts and high boots. I think the service may not run every day in winter unless demanded, or perhaps they go up to where we can not hear its distinctive engine note.

Kelpie

Visit site
The seaplane looks an amazing experience, but it seems a bit of a stretch to say that Oban is now connected by air in the same way that Orkney, Shetland, and Lewis are. e.g. more weather disruption, much higher prices, less frequent flights, baggage restrictions.

Quandary

Visit site
The seaplane looks an amazing experience, but it seems a bit of a stretch to say that Oban is now connected by air in the same way that Orkney, Shetland, and Lewis are. e.g. more weather disruption, much higher prices, less frequent flights, baggage restrictions.

Who said that? it is as well connected as Barra or Tiree, and Lewis does not have a rail service, the seaplane is operating a regular daily scheduled service and seems to be able to meet the demand most days, at least in summer, what were you expecting, Quantas or just Ryanair.
Obans international airport was provided by Argyll and Bute Council and they did not fail to live up to their reputation when it came to foul ups.