A little plywood classic - perhaps?

paul.norton

Visit site
Hello All.
I have been lurking on this site for a while and decided to join today.

A friend recently had quite a find in a barn - yes, they are still out there. A 22' 6" triple keel plywood, hard chine sailing cruiser which had apparently been put into store over 20 years ago. The trouble is we don't know the class of the vessel or its builder. She has a short bowsprit which may or may not be original. She is fitted with a Coventry Climax twin cylinder engine which also may or may not be original. The bow is nicely curved in the manner of Robert Tucker's but Robert's son insists she his not of his design.

The transom is quite wide for that size of boat and is plumb with a transom-hung rudder. A fairly large lump of cast iron forms the centre keel while the bilge-keel are of steel plate and have been cut in a streamlined shape. The mainsail has a reversed Tilde symbol ( like ~ but the other way round) with the number 22 above and 59 below - the sailmaker is unable to help. Our guess is she was built in the 1950s or early 60s as the mainsheet runs on a galvanised steel steel horse. Undoubtably she still exists as the result of being stored in a dry barn for so long and we look forward to seeing her afloat before too long.

She is very similar to a vessel a late friend had in the 70s - similar rubbing strake mouldings and engine - but that had a centreboard through the cast keel.

Thanks in advance

Paul

yahoo.co.uk
I had a Dell Quay Shearwater some years ago sounds similar to what you have found, she was 22.5 feet with centreboard through cast iron keel. Great sailer and very fast. I Fitted short bowsprit and cutter rig which cured excessive w'helm. Engine was 5hp S Turner, unusually reliable.B Blake loo fitted and berths for 4.
She was hard chine, lovely lines and very stable, I sailed her to Scillies and Ireland several times.

Seajet

Visit site
Your description of the sail class shape reminds me of a Hornblower, could it be a bugle, or the remains thereof ?

They were / are ply, about 22' triple keeled, but to be frank rather boxy and definitely on the 'caravan' side freeboard & cabin wise ?

Lakesailor

Visit site
That would result in my boat being identified as an Osprey dinghy.
Many old boats have s/hand sails "that fit" from various sorces.

paul.norton

Visit site
Many thanks to those who replied to my request for information. The mention of Dell Quay Shearwater rang a few bells and reminded me of one a late friend had about 35 years ago.
I have since acquired a copy of Denny Desoutter's Small Boat Cruising which, on page 193, has a photo which matches the vessel in question. Denny wrote the book in 1964 and he stats the shearwater had by then been in production for over 10 years! There is however one fly in the ointment - Denny makes no mention of a triple keel version! I have just had a word with the owner of the vessel and he assures me there is no sign of a centreboard case having been removed.
The photo in Denny's book has a sail number 37 whereas my friend's is 59 - does anyone know if a triple keel option was offered in later production runs?

I have been unable to find any forums or discussion groups for this vessel - can anyone help?

Finally here are a few photos of the boat taken in the barn.

Paul

Romeo

Visit site
Think those tyres need a bit of air in them. Get that boat on the water and enjoy sailing in her.

R

yahoo.co.uk
Definately looks like Dell Quay Shearwater, but with triple keels, not heard of this option, perhaps somebody added it. Mine was #27 built 1959.
I have added pics, at least I think I have, not done this before.
Not worked it is a scan of photos and too big
Well worth restoring, I had great trips in mine, very seaworthy and capable little craft, easy to maintain.
If you want pics let me know by email and I will email to you

paul.norton

Visit site
Had a chance to take a closer look at the boat yeserday - it is definitely a Shearwater :)

Poked around the keel a bit and found the hole for the centreboard pivot pin. The question is now, was the boat supplied by Dell Quay as a triple keeler or was she converted later?

Paul

sarabande

Visit site
what a cracking little boat ! I hope you get out in her as soon as she is painted and polished, and have lots and lots of fun.

(I have a similar-style 24ft ply sloop, and they are excellent.)

ValleyForge

Visit site
Good find, I think the coventry climax flat twin was also used in some Atalanta's, and was derived from a cement mixer motor. There are (or were a year or so ago) firms who can refurb them & supply parts.
Definitely a classic !

Lakesailor

Visit site
That looks like an excellent find. Don't do too much work on her. If there is no rot a quick flash over and get sailing. You can do the refurb stuff next year once you've fallen in love.

DownWest

Visit site
Good find, I think the coventry climax flat twin was also used in some Atalanta's, and was derived from a cement mixer motor. There are (or were a year or so ago) firms who can refurb them & supply parts.
Definitely a classic !

The Atalanta I sailed had a Coventry VICTOR. Is there some confusion here? Also Climax were best know for their fire pump engines, FI engines in the 1500cc era and the Hillman Imp motor. Curiously enough, Hillman were playing with a flat twin, but ran out of time. So bought the CC motor design.

Looks a fun boat, great find. Keep us informed..
A