A couple of contrasting sailing videos

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I don't watch that many and certainly not the popular monetised ones but the first with two very competent helms making difficult conditions look comfortable and enjoyable if not easy ( it was for them) I can even forgive the young American ladies exuberance as she was having a whale of a time.

The second is a guy that also enjoys challenging himself but always seems on the edge of a catastrophe

byanyothername

Visit site
That's $300,000 worth of boat in the first video.
And $50,000 worth of boat in the second video.

One of these is a lot more relatable for me than the other.

steveeasy

Visit site
Erik.
Hats of to Erik. It really is always about sailing and he never fails to entertain.
He makes it look easy while I’m sure battling with his own personal challenges. Where does he go next? A question lots of us ask ourselves.
Steveeasy

byanyothername

Visit site
Regardless of the boats value which really doesn't come into it, it's about the approach and how different people contend with difficult sailing conditions.
It does come into it though because in a $300,000 46ft boat I'm fairly confident I too could round Cape Horn the wrong way in (gusts of) 40knts and make it look comfortable and enjoyable.
But due to my financial circumstances I'm going to end up having to do it in a $50,000 35ft boat which is always going to look and feel more sketchy and closer to the "edge of catastrophe".

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It does come into it though because in a $300,000 46ft boat I'm fairly confident I too could round Cape Horn the wrong way in (gusts of) 40knts and make it look comfortable and enjoyable.
But due to my financial circumstances I'm going to end up having to do it in a $50,000 35ft boat which is always going to look and feel more sketchy and closer to the "edge of catastrophe".
It depends on how you address the conditions and deal with them without putting yourself and equipment in positions that are on the edge of catastrophe, have a good look at Erika videos. He is a tough character and clearly capable but as I have said before I get the uneasy feeling watching him that one day he will go out and not return. Whilst to say plenty of people have sailed around the Horn in small boats ( it's the wrong way if you go against the prevailing wind which in the case of the first video they didn't as the winds were with them on the short east to west passage) would be an exaggeration a number have done it and in smaller than 35 foot, it's all down to boat management and I would say the couple manage their boat and roles exceptionally well whereas Erik at times leaves something to be desired in that respect.

byanyothername

Visit site
So what’s your beef - that the good Father hasn’t curated a list that reflects your circumstances? That approach would seriously restrict all of our viewing pleasures, whatever the genre.
I don't care what videos you watch, I don't watch any youtube sailing channels at all and I'm quite happy with that. My beef is with comparing apples to oranges.

It depends on how you address the conditions and deal with them without putting yourself and equipment in positions that are on the edge of catastrophe, have a good look at Erika videos. He is a tough character and clearly capable but as I have said before I get the uneasy feeling watching him that one day he will go out and not return. Whilst to say plenty of people have sailed around the Horn in small boats ( it's the wrong way if you go against the prevailing wind which in the case of the first video they didn't as the winds were with them on the short east to west passage) would be an exaggeration a number have done it and in smaller than 35 foot, it's all down to boat management and I would say the couple manage their boat and roles exceptionally well whereas Erik at times leaves something to be desired in that respect.
I haven't watched enough of Eric's videos to form an opinion and don't care to so I will bow to your superior YouTube knowledge. I agree that the seamanship displayed in my skim through the first video was good. But skimming through the second video nothing jumped out to me more than the differences in the boats themselves.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I don't care what videos you watch, I don't watch any youtube sailing channels at all and I'm quite happy with that. My beef is with comparing apples to oranges.

I haven't watched enough of Eric's videos to form an opinion and don't care to so I will bow to your superior YouTube knowledge. I agree that the seamanship displayed in my skim through the first video was good. But skimming through the second video nothing jumped out to me more than the differences in the boats themselves.
As I said have a look at some of his earlier ones including shredding his Gennaker and how he got himself in that position.

steveeasy

Visit site
As I said have a look at some of his earlier ones including shredding his Gennaker and how he got himself in that position.
I agree, he does go through His cruising chutes like hot dinners. But he pushes the boundaries for using them. He also does not pay for them. I seam to recall he worked in some form of sea rescue so he is more than clued up. Hes earnt his stripes.

Steveeasy

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I agree, he does go through His cruising chutes like hot dinners. But he pushes the boundaries for using them. He also does not pay for them. I seam to recall he worked in some form of sea rescue so he is more than clued up. Hes earnt his stripes.

Steveeasy
I think he was a diver.

boomerangben

Visit site
Thank you for sharing. I’ve seen a couple of Erik’s videos now and admire his grit, determination and easy going, fun loving demeanour on camera. Hard as nails and clearly doesn’t feel the cold. Good choice of Shetland restaurant too.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
You do realise these are monetised channels? Eric is making £1K+ per video by my estimates, the other guys probably a bit less.
Yes but I don't actively contribute via patron passively by advertising maybe and I am quite selective in what I watch for instance I have only watched the one sweet Rocca video the others whatever they contain are of no interest.

Minerva

Visit site
I find it an odd characteristic that some folk have; going onto a thread about sailing videos and proudly braying that they don’t like watching sailing you tube videos.

I’ve never felt the need to log onto a tiddlywink forum to tell them I don’t like watching their videos.