A beautiful weather forecasting site....

NealB

Visit site
Very pretty, but how useful?

Very useful, I'd say, as long as it's reasonably accurate:

- you can zoom in to get detailed local forecasts

- it covers the whole world

- you can look up to two weeks ahead

- let it play through, and it gives a lovely view of how the wind changes over time

Edit: playing with it a bit more, I see it can do more eg click on the small circles to get more forecast information at that point, and you can drag those circles anywhere you want

Last edited:

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
Thanks! It's quite accurate at the moment for my present location. I shall see how it goes over the next few days. It should be very useful before starting a passage... assuming that there is free wifi available at that location (not unusual at marinas).

adwuk

Visit site
Looks a lot like the iPad app that I use - MeteoEarthHD - very pretty too, and does synoptic charts as well. Not free though, and no allegiance. Thanks for the link!

wizard

Visit site
Thanks for the pointer. It may be the same data but presented in a brilliant format.
Just love the wind display, almost mesmerising.

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site
Looks like graphical represetation of raw forecast data. There are a few sources of such data, a new one introduced a few months back was adopted by Metcheck and as a result thier forecasts went from a bit off to quite wild.
So, how come with a new and reallt better data set did it make forecats worse? The surprising answer is that the computer generated data needs quite a lot of experienced help, it is often the case that the model suffers a kind of psychosis and goes right off the rails. Weather forecasting involves selection from a set of likely outcomes and using the most sensible to continue, so, in the case of Metcheck the new model needs some time before the human element can build on it to produce a better end product with local knowledge built in.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Very useful for picking weather windows. Track up to next 5 days ahead, looking at first at wind, then cloud cover. Watch the depressions and cloud roll towards your position. As usual, the probability of intensity and timing being accurate decrease with time ahead - and whether or not lows are likely to develop. So what's missing are probability statements "50% chance of timing being within 24 hours . . ."

Would be great if it also gave swell forecasts!