Irish Sea info

bergie

lille-oe.de
I haven’t tried to refuel there personally, but Peel Marina site says fuel available at East Quay, wherever that is - https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/harbours/marinas/peel-marina/

But I don’t think you have a huge tank? Even if used cans to top up from a petrol station this would keep you moving and get to Dublin, Anglesey or wherever.
Yep. Mostly: if fuel is significantly cheaper, or more easily available on Isle of Man, we'd fuel there. Otherwise we can keep going for a couple more weeks without issues.

dunedin

Visit site
Yep. Mostly: if fuel is significantly cheaper, or more easily available on Isle of Man, we'd fuel there. Otherwise we can keep going for a couple more weeks without issues.
Could try phoning Peel harbourmaster (don’t be surprised if they reply saying Douglas harbour, mostly linked) and ask the price - and how to access the fuel (some mention of buying cards) whilst waiting your weather window.
PS. I think GB fuel is red, NI white, Ireland Green (but not allowed to buy it) - so Peel might be tartan coloured ?

jbweston

Visit site
Now I've switched to motor, fuel stops are a bigger part of my life than they used to be. Coming north I crossed from England to Ireland specifically because I could get fuel and enter and leave both Dun Laoghaire and Bangor when it suited me, while the alternatives such as Conway, Carnarvon, Peel and Ramsey were more complicated.

On price, I confess I just had to fill up and close my eyes until I got my credit card bill!

zoidberg

Visit site
My choice - and has been on several occasions - has been to run down the east side of Ireland to Cork ( visit the ever-hospitable RCYC ) then cruise down along West Cork to Baltimore or Crookhaven, then slant SE to the Isles of Scilly on a fair breeze.

I have a lifelong aversion to Cardigan Bay, and the haul SSW from the vicinity of Milford is drear. Padstow is a bolt-hole of sorts, but is 'locked' by tides. The adjacent Doom Bar there refers not only to the beer, and there's no reliable weather shelter until WITHIN the Isles of Scilly, or round the corner to Newlyn/Penzance.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Bangor good, pretty sure Peel good but check with harbour master as didnt need any there, i presume you will stop at Milford sound so there or Neyland might be best as less than a weeks travel

The next stop is Padstow before Scilly, might be a bit far depending on tank size and usage
When we were last in padstow 10 years ago, the HM would bring diesel to you in plastic cans

wingcommander

Visit site
My last visit to Ardfern, you could get red at a much reduced rate , though we had to hand ball with Jerry cans . Walking distance from marina. All for heating use only ahem!!

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
If you choose to refuel at Milford Haven, there is nearly 24hr red diesel inside the Marina at 60/40 split. Given the number of commercial boats there it has a fairly quick turnover of stock. Annoyingly it isn’t available during the 2hr freeflow period leading up to high water, whether this is for any spillage containment or to stop non payment escapees isn’t stated. The lock gates run more or less hourly 24/7 outside of freeflow nowadays.
The Tesco within walking distance has white road diesel at pretty much the same price as 60/40 red at the marina.

Neyland has red also at 60/40, but only really during office hours inc Saturday morning. Contact Dale sailing for details.

Last edited:

bergie

lille-oe.de
I haven’t tried to refuel there personally, but Peel Marina site says fuel available at East Quay, wherever that is - https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/harbours/marinas/peel-marina/
We ended up filling up at Peel today. Pretty easy with jerrycans and a harbour cart. Could've also done it when we sail out tonight at HW, but this way we don't need to do another harbour manoeuvre in the dark. The marina is really nice, but very tight.

Heading towards Howth next. Then probably some anchorage in that area, as it looks like there won't be a lot of wind in the coming week. Will be interesting to see how clearing in into Ireland works. Not finding a lot of info on that.

Supertramp

Visit site
Lambay Island (can't land), Skerries, Loughshinny, Rogerstown Bay, Irelands Eye are all possible passage anchorages in the right wind direction and if you don't mind some swell.

Watching wallabies on Lambay is pretty much unique.

ghostlymoron2

Visit site
I did most of my sailing in Cardigan Bay and from Anglesey to Milford Haven, a favourite cruise was through the three Sounds of Wales - Bardsey, Ramsey and Jack.

Ashman

Visit site
Just making a return trip from Skye and currently enjoying the Dale anchorage and River Cleddau in Milford Haven before heading home to Cornwall. Of the stops we have made on the way up and down the Irish Sea our favourites have been Raithlin, Howth, Strangford Lough (Quoille), Ardglass and Peel. We took a break in Peel and spent a week touring the island on the excellent bus service.
We decided not to buy fuel in NI or the south as too expensive, no discount offered for use as heating fuel. We held on until we arrived in Milford Haven and topped at Dale Sailing at Neyland.
Kilmore Quay is a pleasant harbour to start for the Scillies…..there’s a fuel pontoon there but it probably won’t be cheap.
Hope you have nicer weather than we have!

bergie

lille-oe.de
Thanks everybody for the suggestions! Here's what we've ended up doing between Skye and Arklow so far (Finnish audio, English subtitles):

Now sitting at the Roadstones anchorage and waiting for the wind to shift in couple of days.

dgadee

Visit site
People have said that Strangford Lough is a great cruising area. I never found it that - too many pladdies for me. It is great for kayaking, though. Lovely anchorage at Audley's Castle just passed Strangford to port.

Some sailors might get lost in the Lough because they are a bit tentative about going out the entrance and over the bar?

PabloPicasso

Visit site
People have said that Strangford Lough is a great cruising area. I never found it that - too many pladdies for me. It is great for kayaking, though. Lovely anchorage at Audley's Castle just passed Strangford to port.

Some sailors might get lost in the Lough because they are a bit tentative about going out the entrance and over the bar?
Certainly, entering and leaving Strangford Lough, focuses one's attention to matters at hand...