sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Anyone see 999 last night

just about to switch off magic lantern when saw trail
they did the BT challenge incident in the tasman sea. a guy got his leg smashed up and one lost a finger. they had to head to tasmania.

the special effects were quite good
lots of recreations using a challenge boat and a hose interspersed with bits from their video clips of the race.

anyway i had to sit through half an hour of idiots on bikes and people stuck in mud and michael burke saying things like ....but little did they know that disaster lay just around the corner....

then i am right into proper raggie 999 heavan. mrs sailbad starts telling me i cannot do a trip like that again,as shots of southern ocean flash up. the crew are there saying we had 40 knot winds, and i am shouting back 'nothing we had 65, although the seas were not too big.

Anyway, encouraged by the magic lantern i am yeeharing in my chair as it shows boats punching through 30ft waves, i have also just found some mahon gin . all very good, then the buggers flash up
to be continued.....i am bound to forget next week. thank you bbc.

they did also show an rnli rescue of some norwegians caught out near bridlington after a bad crossing
I am still deciding if the rnli chap was mad to leap accross and only just grab the scuppers of the boat with the crew in distress on it. brave chaps

Maybe, just once, someone will call me sir without adding, you're making a scene

G

Got his leg smashed up! It was little worse than that, he was mangled, legs, arms ribs, pelvis - very nasty.

I can only imagine what it must have been like for the entire crew, racing their yacht back to the mainland with the prize being a crewmembers life.

tome

www.google.co.uk
We saw this also and reactions were similar. I've just persuaded Mrs E that we should do an Atlantic crossing in 2004. She asked 'what about Australia' to which I responded by describing the roaring forties and southern ocean. When she saw the conditions she decided we'd fly instead!

It was really annoying when they did the 'to be continued' in the middle of this. Like you, I'm bound to forget and it seems part of the tv dumbing-down process. A bit like that millionaire programme.

As for the lifeboatman, if the portrayal was accurate I reckon he was as mad as a March hare. They had one man dangling over the side who they were trying to recover at the time he took his leap. Seems they should have got that situation under control first. Doubtless he was brave, but foolish also IMHO. I expect the situation was a little different from how it was portrayed as he ended up with an award.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
mrs sailbadtobe
has said i can do it on the basis i am 'verty heavily insured'

she has no faith in me.
actually i donot think she would let me go. it is not a real ambitoon of mine. i'd sooner go cruising. spending 2 months stationed at the same 2 winches not be fun

now the foredeck
that would be different

This isn't an office, its hell with strip lighting

AndrewB

Visit site
Same here ... with one difference.

SWYBO and I had exactly the same debate about whether Andy Hamilton was a hero or a nutcase. Bit of each probably. People who get gongs often then find they have to live up to the image. Next time someone needs to make a leap ...

SWYBO took opposite view from yours. She was ye-hawing along with each mega-wave, while I sat and winced. But the £25,000 price tag for that white-knuckle ride brought her back to earth.

Totally frustrated by the 'to be continued'. Won't be around next week, and the video's on the blink (not allowed to get a new one before Xmas).

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Same here ... with one difference.

ooh yes 25 k
could buy a boat for that and a have a lifetimes sailing.

hence i won't be doing that unless lottery wins happen which is unlikekly as i never buy a ticket
mrssailbasdtobe has banned me from buying tickets. she reckons i get too excited i sit reading YM decideing which boat i am going to buy when i win and then am crushed and depressed when i donot knowing some little toad on remand has yet again won £5m.

anyway
those challenge boats feel indestructable to sail in.
but the loads on winches and gear are immense. they call the main traveller area the death zone.
it is the crew that cannot take the battering.

This isn't an office, its hell with strip lighting