36ft sailboat, anchoring not going well

Neeves

Visit site
Most good modern anchors of 15kg in the 2006 YM anchor test held around 2t in clean sand. A 15kg anchor would be adequate for a 35' modern yacht. If the expectation is that a 15kg anchor will be inadequate and the tension in the rode higher than 2t then the implications should be explored. Commonly a 35' yacht would be equiped with a 8mm G30 chain and it would wise to assume that at a tension of 1,500kg the chain will deform, stretch, and would then no longer fit the gypsy. Thus if the tension in the rode is expected to be 1,500kg or greater a further recommendation is needed to not only upsize the anchor but also use bigger, or better, chain and either buy a new gypsy or a new windlass.

The chain suddenly becomes the weak link.

I have measured rode tensions and terminated my testing at 35 knots when rode tensions I recorded were peaking at 650kg. I was not using a snubber - I was simply trying to identify tensions in the rode. 650kg tensions are scary, you fear not that the anchor will break free, and drag, but that something will break. The anchor did not drag - but when I became sufficiently concerned about yacht integrity and came to lift the anchor, a 15kg Anchor Right Excel (described by some as a plough type design) - it was buried almost irretrievably - it had simply dived more deeply - no suggestion of dragging.

35 knots is not particularly strong but I had no snubber and was working at short scope. The 'ride' would have been much more comfortable with a snubber. But if this had not been an exercise in the collation of data I would have terminated the experiment much earlier and moved location.

I can assure you 650kg of tension is scary, grounds for divorce - but the 15kg anchor was not the weak link - the crew, me, were the weak link. You would need some pretty strong reason not to move under those conditions. Consequently the idea of needing an anchor with a hold greater than that of a 15kg Excel for a 35' yacht is the stuff of fiction - a Stephen King horror story - not reality.

As I mention 35 knots is not particularly unusual (and weather forecasts and a sensible choice of anchorage commonly ensures owners are not subject to same). But life is not predictable so we must prepare and more sensible preparation is use of, long, snubbers, use of a decent length of rode, and not a scope of 3:1 (unless using good snubbers). Other options to consider would be deploying 2 anchors in a fork (NOT to increase hold but to manage veering).

Interestingly when we have been subject to 35knots and the bridle (2 x snubbers) are managing the tension (same conditions as the test 35 knot test, above) it is quite possible to hold, secure, one arm of the bridle tension by hand. The 650kg snatch loads are converted to less than 50kg.

You don't need a bigger anchor, you need a snubber (or bridle) or decent catenary (which would mean a deep anchorage).

Jonathan

Zing

Visit site
It is true, peak anchor loads are massively reduced with a snubber when swinging in a gale. The reduction in deceleration being relatively greater on a light, low inertia boat like a cat. Ditto when anchored with a short chain. An anchor riding sail reduces peak load also. Although I don’t recall having seen it mentioned by the manufacturers It has to be assumed that a snubber is used for anchor sizing, because it’s not comfortable, safe or commonly done to anchor without one.

doug748

Visit site
What is it about the topic that brings out mad theories I wonder? Maybe because you can riff to your hearts content and nobody can ever muster definitive evidence that you are talking out of your 'arris.
I myself am continuing my longitudinal study on the effect of silicone grease on the setting and fouling of anchor gear. Look forward to my exciting and controversial paper soon.

I am also keen to know who these people are who carry oversize anchors. A little research tells me that, for my 10m 5 ton boat, the recommended Rocna anchor is sized between 10 and 20 kg so I guess an oversize anchor would be 25kg.
Is there anyone out there sporting a 55lb anchor on their 32 footer? We should be told.

It starts to look much like someone catching your lapels and insisting that you should never set your trousers on fire. We all know.

Neeves

Visit site
What is it about the topic that brings out mad theories I wonder? Maybe because you can riff to your hearts content and nobody can ever muster definitive evidence that you are talking out of your 'arris.
I myself am continuing my longitudinal study on the effect of silicone grease on the setting and fouling of anchor gear. Look forward to my exciting and controversial paper soon.

I am also keen to know who these people are who carry oversize anchors. A little research tells me that, for my 10m 5 ton boat, the recommended Rocna anchor is sized between 10 and 20 kg so I guess an oversize anchor would be 25kg.
Is there anyone out there sporting a 55lb anchor on their 32 footer? We should be told.

It starts to look much like someone catching your lapels and insisting that you should never set your trousers on fire. We all know.

Noelex has a 50kg anchor on his bow where the Rocna recommendation for that size of yacht is 33kg

Does that count.

And he recommends strongly his choice of anchor. It will be difficult but you can draw your own conclusions

To really confuse the issue: we used a 8kg (aluminium) anchor (15kg in the steel version) as a primary on a 38' x 22'6" catamaran (weight 7t in full cruising mode).

Its not weight its design/size (area)

Jonathan

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

I am one of the admins for a FB page on anchoring. Some posters regularly advise that 1 or even 2 sizes above the recommendation for the boat should be purchased. It seems to me that the majority of these posters are in USA but I could be mistaken.

Refueler

Visit site
What gets me are the camps :

1. Size not weight

2. Weight not size.

3. Design

and the permutations of all !!

I'm just a simple guy who throws out a lump of metal supposedly designed to provide holding for a length of chain that is then fast on my boat. I expect the designer to have been clever enough to combine WEIGHT with SIZE and DESIGN - so that each compliments each other - that when boat exerts a bit of pull via the rode - the lump of metal digs in. To have considered the poor sod who has to manhandle said lump of metal ....

All you guys arguing one or more of the factors going into anchor design .. at end of day - each of you have no doubt come to your conclusions mainly from your own use and ownership of whatever anchor.

I've seen some reports / articles on anchor testing for us boaters - that are laughable !!

One that springs to mind - and the guy who wrote the article slinked away to not be heard from again - Heaven be Praised !

Basically imagine a sandy beach. One farm tractor. A bunch of anchors and a length of chain. I think some here may recall such a ludicrous test article ?

He basically placed an anchor .. led chain to the hitch on back of tractor and then pulled .. measuring the KG's exerted as the anchor set - then pulled out.
Laughable - why ? Totally horizontal chain .. no catenary effects or snatches ... Its only value being to show what anchor could dig in ... on a sandy beach ! mmmm All of them !!
Oh did I fail to mention - that he was promoting a certain brand ??

Refueler

Visit site
I am one of the admins for a FB page on anchoring. Some posters regularly advise that 1 or even 2 sizes above the recommendation for the boat should be purchased. It seems to me that the majority of these posters are in USA but I could be mistaken.

I'm a great believer in having the largest in the recc'd range for a boat .. but also that handling is important ... its no good have a large anchor if you cannot handle it ..

How many motor boats do you see with a nice dainty anchor sticking over the bow .. that in fact despite the MoBo's lighter displacement for given size - actually due to windage can put greater stress on an anchor system ...
Too often I've seem MoBo's drag for this reason ...

Neeves

Visit site
I've seen some reports / articles on anchor testing for us boaters - that are laughable !!

You have led a very sheltered life

There was an anchor test in a disused quarry, it think it was disused (but no matter)

Lacking a seabed he used puddles on the quarry floor, I assume quite large, and the 'seabed' was the quarry fines (dust and fine particles) - having as close an approximation to a sea bed as a .....ploughed field. But if you ever anchor in a disused quarry he had the answers

Bruce, the man and the anchor company he founded used scale model anchors and artificial seabeds. This is a screen shot from one of their videos of how one of their anchors with a hinged 'crown' could be used to retrieve the anchor. A but was designed to fail at specific tension and when the bolt failed the shank rotated allowing easier retrieval
IMG_8686.PNG

The medium is a synthetic and transparent clay in water. It coincidentally shows the reverse catenary of the buried rode, the scope is NOT the tension angle. 3d printing makes such tests so much easier

The scope used to test does not actually matter as the relationship between scope and tension is well known - as long as the scope and rode are defined. Because the hold of an anchor is quite high, 2t for a decent 15kg anchor under water, in sand, then testing anything larger is, very, problematic. Tractors make a good and cheap workhorse as do Bruce' synthetic seabeds (especially as anchors the size that Bruce made are that little bit bigger than ours).

Jonathan

Refueler

Visit site
You have led a very sheltered life

Far from it me old fruit.

This is where half the problem lies ... people reading what THEY think they read ...

I said : "I've seen some reports / articles on anchor testing for us boaters - that are laughable !!

Note the word : some.

And I do not regard anything to do with boats and anchors to be Gospel as you and some others seem to show.

Neeves

Visit site
Far from it me old fruit.

This is where half the problem lies ... people reading what THEY think they read ...

I said : "I've seen some reports / articles on anchor testing for us boaters - that are laughable !!

Note the word : some.

And I do not regard anything to do with boats and anchors to be Gospel as you and some others seem to show.
It was suggested, quite recently, that I have an abrasive style - and I did wonder after I posted.....

But - I was agreeing with your post that you are correct, some tests are laughable and my quarry example was just another to add to yours. The idea of testing in synthetic clay and water seems laughable - but actually has considerable merit.

Anchors - gospel - perish the thought. Far too many variables - which is why it absorbs so much time - and no one can be correct - though one can be less incorrect.... :). Testing in synthetic clay reduces the variables.

Jonathan

Refueler

Visit site
It was suggested, quite recently, that I have an abrasive style - and I did wonder after I posted.....

But - I was agreeing with your post that you are correct, some tests are laughable and my quarry example was just another to add to yours.

Anchors - gospel - perish the thought. Far too many variables - which is why it absorbs so much time - and no one can be correct - though one can be less incorrect.... :)

Jonathan

My apologies if I read your intent wrong.

That's two of us (I'll not name the others !!) who are noted as abrasive sometimes !! :eek:

Neeves

Visit site
But to take up a comment - you mentioned that the best anchor in a test was one the tester was spruiking... :)

In such tests ignore the best anchor, just look at the rest - the result might give an accurate comparison.

Fortress made a test in the Chesapeake at some cost and of course Fortress was the best. But ignore that result - as you say its predictable. The ratings of the other anchors is more interesting and maybe - more revealing.

Chesapeake Bay Anchor Test - Fortress Anchors

The YM tests in 2006 are a valuable base along with a number of French tests (Voile et Voileurs) on which to build a comparison as, there is no commercial bias (except to sell print ) - after that filter out the excellence of the sponsor - and look at the rest.

Jonathan

Tranona

Visit site
Not sure about what sort of "research" you have carried out, but that is not what Rocna say. jimmygreen.com/content/205-rocna-and-vulcan-anchor-size-guide It is very clear that the correct anchor for a 4.3 tonne 32 footer like your Contessa is a 9kg Rocna of 12kg Vulcan. No suggestion a 15kg let alone a 20kg is needed. However I suspect that an intrepid adventurer going to remote places as some Contessa owners have done may well choose a 15kg anchor as one of a selection that might be carried. Unsurprisingly the Epsilon recommendations are essentially the same lewmar.com/file/9520 Even my GH which has similar base dimensions to your Contessa except it is over 1T (25%) greater displacement is still firmly in the 9/10/12kg anchor size range.

It is also worth reading this to understand why the manufacturer is confident that their sizing recommendations are sound kb.rocna.com/kb/Rocna_sizing_recommendations

This jimmygreen.com/content/237-what-size-anchor-do-i-need is also useful reading as it includes most of the major makers' recommendations with explanations of how they are constructed together with guidance on how they should be used, including some detail on when a size larger might be considered appropriate.

Given these very cogent explanations plus all the material available from independent tests and user experience, it is not surprising that some find the "oversize is good" and "bigger and heavier is better" claims difficult to accept

Neeves

Visit site
Comment was passed about 'tip weight' with the implication that this is important. The only detailed list of tip/total weight that I can think of is the Panope spreadsheets and there is no indication that a high tip weight is advantageous, or other factors are more important. Vulcan and Viking have 'average' tip weight and are rated highly, the Excel has a poor tip weight and is rated not much different to the Vulcan and Viking.

IMG_9522.PNG

Jonathan

Star-Lord

Visit site
Hello,
I'm currently cruising in Greece (Ionian) on my 36ft sailboat, 6 tons, from 2000, shallow draft, and I have trouble anchoring.
I see other boats dropping the anchor, going back slowly while dropping and with very little scope (way less than 1:5) they are stuck from the first try.

I do the same, even with more scope and I really have trouble staying stuck. Last night in muddy underground at a dept of 3m (under the keel so about 6m till the deck) I had to try 3 times. The days before about the same.
First season on the boat, 15kg delta type anchor (I don't think a "real brand" delta) and I have 50m of 8mm chain + 30m of rope.
I often drag already with the engine just in 1 click on reverse and having laid out about 45m of chain in 3m of dept (under the keel).
Something doesn't add up to me, is there something I am doing wrong or what can I do to do this better?

I do notice that sand works better (I was stuck with 1500rpm in reverse) but still, I have lost all confidence. Any spot in Navily that says "very good holding", I have trouble. And it is not even windy (yet).

My procedure:
  1. Bring the boat to a standstill
  2. Drop enough so the anchor touches the bottom (let out the dept)
  3. Push gear in reverse (1 click)
  4. Drop more until about 1:5
  5. Stop dropping and see if we drag (engine still in reverse)
  6. If not dragging (which does not happen often), test till 2000 rpm in reverse and check for dragging.
Currently the only places where I feel a bit safe is in depts under 5m, and that is almost none existant here...

Any suggestions?
It’s always easiest to anchor when the boat is moving!! So easy when it’s windy it’s easy. Harder when there’s no wind. I’ve seen people sail into an anchorage and drop the anchor and just let out chain, drop the main sail, and then the anchor bites (you need a chain stopper) and they swing round and job done.

After much mucking about I have found what works for me. First off get a new gen anchor. For the dump it all method - my preferred - it’s best to use a Spade anchor or another new gen without a roll bar - so the chain won’t get tangled - dump 5:1 and motor back slowly - feathering - and job done. The Spade needs more rode to set.

With a Rocna let out 1:1 motor back a few meters and dump the rest at 3:1 or 4:1 the Rocna sets at short scope. Then let out more when set.

The advantage of the dumping method is you will usually anchor precisely where you want to instead of motoring back for ten minutes dragging and faffing and ending up to close to another boat.

noelex

Visit site
I am not sure why an older version of Panope’s results have been posted. This the current version. While no testing protocol is perfect, in both versions the Delta anchor is not doing very well. This agrees with my photographic results of Delta anchors.

This does not mean the Delta anchor has no value. In good substrates it can still work well, but in more challenging substrates the performance can be poor, as the OP has experienced.

You_Doodle_2024-06-09T04_07_16Z.jpeg

Last edited:

Neeves

Visit site
I am not sure why an older version of Panope’s results have been posted.

View attachment 178234
Does it matter.

The point being made was that tip weight in either has no or little relevance to the ratings.

If you want to be picky:

There is another spreadsheet dated Sept '22. :) - reasons....? and another in Nov 23

The date of the spread sheets is irrelevant tip anchor weight has no relevance to the Panope conclusion of 'excellence'. The most popular anchor (Rocna) in this forum (YBW) and many forum is shown at the bottom of your and my spread sheets in the early spreadsheets - without any comment nor qualification - which might lead owners of a Rocna and many who have tested a Rocna, for example Yachting Monthly, to question the results and the test protocols. If the author had reservations, and rating a Rocna below a CQR should have raised more than alarms bells for both spread sheets, - Rocna should have been completely omitted. If the data for Rocna is questionable then the data for other anchors might also be questioned, including the tip weight comparisons.

I accept that linking my spread sheet could be deemed inappropriate - but the only comparison of tip weight I could find (and personally I think tip weight is a complete red herring - but it was raised and must merit a comment). It does not matter which spread sheets - tip weight is irrelevant in the Panope conclusions.

Additionally if you are like Noelex. :) , or me, and are lazy - then historic spread sheets show some questionable results.

But tip weight is consistently irrelevant (which was my point) other factors were also not relevant until Noelex questioned my choice of spread sheet - which opened another can of worms (of which we have not reached the bottom :( ).

Jonathan

Last edited:

GHA

Visit site
I am also keen to know who these people are who carry oversize anchors.
Long term, long distance cruisers mainly, lost the link but recently read a blog of a cruising couple & when fitting out were talking with one of the main anchor manufacturers but can't remember which, manson, maybe spade? Anyway, the makers said yes, head way out into the unknown long term good idea to go up a size. Pretty common with the off beaten track world girdlers, winds can be well above the anchor charts & bottoms sketchy.

Just makes some people angry in here, like it shouldn't be allowed 🤣

richardh10

Visit site
I'm going to replace my 25 kg spade, and had a look on the Jimmy Green website and the new updated sizing chart suggested I may be able to downsize to the 20kg. I'm just on the limit. However...... I anchor a lot, and have never had a problem with dragging, so I'm just going to stick with what I know works

Tranona

Visit site
Long term, long distance cruisers mainly, lost the link but recently read a blog of a cruising couple & when fitting out were talking with one of the main anchor manufacturers but can't remember which, manson, maybe spade? Anyway, the makers said yes, head way out into the unknown long term good idea to go up a size. Pretty common with the off beaten track world girdlers, winds can be well above the anchor charts & bottoms sketchy.

Just makes some people angry in here, like it shouldn't be allowed 🤣
All the guidance is pretty clear about when a larger size anchor might be considered which includes exactly the point you are raising. Read the links in post#113

However (like the other situations - marginal cases, high windage, multihulls, extra heavy displacement) this only applies to a minority. It is not difficult to decide if your situation is one of those, but there are some here who state categorically that everybody should have a bigger anchor, when for the vast majority of people this is totally unnecessary.

This thread is an excellent example. The OPs situation is quite normal. He has an ordinary boat with an appropriate size anchor and is having difficulty getting it to set in seabeds that are known to be difficult. The answer is partly technique and partly to replace the anchor with one that is proven to be better in these conditions. A larger anchor of the same type will not help, and the recommended size of the better anchor will work just as well as a larger size of the same anchor.