32ft with shafts

markizok

Visit site
Hi all

Happy bank holiday! We have a 28ft cabin cruiser on a single stern and want something larger and more comfortable. I was originally looking at a single engined 32ft, but after some big bills / reliability issues I’m not so keen on sterns I’m now considering twin shafts - other boaters near us love them, but as owners I’m looking for other unbiased views!!

Currently on the list are Jeanneau Prestige 32 or Jeanneau antares 980. I like the Sealine f36/37 but it’s a bit bigger than I planned, it’s just a shame the f33/34 are on sterns as they are great. I was looking at c330’s but given the current climate I now want to spend less.

Any comments or other suggestions are appreciated!!

Thanks!

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Several (all?) brands use inaccurate measurements. There is no standard for doing this, but all sorts of including/excluding bowsprits, swim platforms etc. are in play.

I can't free myself from a suspicion that an optimistic declaration is an aim to justify a high price.

When Nimbus began to run into business difficulties, their director was the first to explain that one engine was as reliable as two.
However, he forgot to explain that the boats were then also cheaper to build.

At the end of the day, the important thing is to get the boat that suits your needs, whether it's called one or the other. Whether you get the spaciousness you're looking for, you'll find out when you get on board.

oldgit

Visit site
Go and look at everything and anything that catches your eye it will then eliminate a whole pile of stuff that you thought you wanted.
Hopefully at some point you will appreciate what you actually need and appreciate what your budget could get you .
The market is still pretty good for those selling anything nice and well maintained, brokers will still keep a little list of buyers ready and able to buy. Much nice stuff in the honey pot middle range will still not reach the listings, ensure that brokers know you are serious buyer and not mucking them about and looking for a "bargain".
Much of the stuff remaining the listings are orphan boats ,small stuff needing loads of work or big old fuel guzzling beasts that nobody can afford to run or moor these days.
Chatting to broker a few days ago who had come down to price up a 2004 European built flybridge , he commented he is being asked to sell boats at peak covid prices many which have been sadly neglected and unused/serviced over that period.
As to single or twins, would suggest you find the boat that satisfies your need for space and comfort and buy irrespective of number of engines.
The UK skipper dare not leave the marina with less than two engines, the europeans curiously seem to manage amazingly well with only one.
Twins make the boat easier to manoeuvre in confined spaces but a single with a bowthruster would do the job.

"but after some big bills / reliability issues I’m not so keen on sterns I’m now considering twin shafts"
Shafts all the way.
Where is the boat going to be used ?
Good Luck.

Last edited:

QBhoy

Visit site
Princess 330 it would be for me. Cost you about 50k for a lovely one, if you can find it. Treat yourself to a classic car with the spare 30k in your pocket ! 😂

Momac

Visit site
We looked at an Aquador 32 a few weeks ago. It sold like a hot cake.
The Aquador 32 is shorter than the SealineF33 (our present boat) and this shows in the relatively compact sleeping quarters of the Aquador.
We also thought the guard rails on the Aquador slightly less high than the Sealine (my chief officers observation).
But loved the Aquador saloon/helm area .

Farmer Piles

Visit site
We looked at an Aquador 32 a few weeks ago. It sold like a hot cake.
The Aquador 32 is shorter than the SealineF33 (our present boat) and this shows in the relatively compact sleeping quarters of the Aquador.
We also thought the guard rails on the Aquador slightly less high than the Sealine (my chief officers observation).
But loved the Aquador saloon/helm area .
Hi Martyn,
We bought our 32C last year and had a great season on her. Typical Scandi build quality.

Matt

Farmer Piles

Visit site
Back to the OP question though; for 32ft boats, most are better single engined as the access is terrible with two shoehorned in. All the filters,etc.. are on the port side of the engines which makes servicing the port engine extremely difficult and you would have to question how diligent the operative was if it is such a pig to do properly. In terms of cost, for the same boat - say a Nimbus - it will cost more to run with two engines. More fuel and double the servicing costs and more weight. Also, if an engine is well maintained the most likely cause of problems will be fuel and unless you have two tanks - unlikely in a 32 footer - you will simply have two lots of filters and engines to sort. As you mentioned costs in your post.
Anyway, my view on it.

Other threads that may be of interest