2.5 or 4hp outboard 2.7m tender

Zing

Visit site
I suspect that numerous other factors are at play. I have a Novurania 335 tender, well clearly it doesn’t come with us, maybe it’s a chase boat🤣 It’s made of depleted uranium as far as I can tell, or perhaps in the good old tradition or American engineering, add a bit in case there’s a weakness, then give it more power. Regardless, it’s often up to 500kg all up, with a 25hp engine. That’s 20 ratio, it leaps out of the water at half throttle or so, and is utterly bonkers fast in such a short boat. It would, I am certain, stagger onto the plane with much more weight. It’s complicated, I feel.

Our actual haul on board tender is a 2.7, and we have gone electric. It's a leap of faith. Like electric cars, you think it won’t go fast enough or far enough, yet it does. A nominal 1.5hp, you wouldn’t guess that when using it.

Indeed. Prop pitch plays a big role in this. If you want to pop up on the plane, get a fine pitch, but your top speed won’t be so great. A similar effect with a higher hull deadrise - and waterline too.

Donheist

Visit site
Thank you. In the end we plumped for the 4hp. We are still breaking it in but at half throttle it’s useful in a chop. Feels loads more solid than our previous 4hp 2 stroke. And so much quieter! Nice to have everything working properly too like throttle friction adjustment. It’s heavy but I can manage it and we have an engine crane on the stern.