£0.43 Fix for Meaco DD8L Dehumidifier

Lomax

Visit site
Was wondering if your repair was successful long term. I have the Zambesi model that stopped working just out of warranty, not too uncommon apparently :-(. There is no sign of life on the control panel. I have discovered that one of the thermistors is open circuit and I am looking to source a replacement. The filter has been kept clean, washed weekly, and very little dust apparent on opening up the casing.

I think a thermistor failure should give you an error code on the display, though I have no personal experience of this model. A completely dead unit would suggest a failed fuse. Can you post a picture of the failed open component?

miphotoman

Visit site
I think a thermistor failure should give you an error code on the display, though I have no personal experience of this model. A completely dead unit would suggest a failed fuse. Can you post a picture of the failed open component?
It is the thermistor located next to the two thermal fuses as per the images attached to post 82 in this thread. I have checked for continuity across the two adjacent thermal fuses (both good) and the other two thermal fuses see post 106 (both good), however the adjacent thermistor here has no continuity.

miphotoman

Visit site
It is the thermistor located next to the two thermal fuses as per the images attached to post 82 in this thread. I have checked for continuity across the two adjacent thermal fuses (both good) and the other two thermal fuses see post 106 (both good), however the adjacent thermistor here has no continuity.
Correction, should read; It is the thermistor located next to the two thermal fuses as per the images attached to post 82 in this thread. I have checked for continuity across the two adjacent thermal fuses (both good) and the other two thermal fuses see post 106 (both good), the adjacent thermistor here has continuity.

Lomax

Visit site
Correction, should read; It is the thermistor located next to the two thermal fuses as per the images attached to post 82 in this thread. I have checked for continuity across the two adjacent thermal fuses (both good) and the other two thermal fuses see post 106 (both good), the adjacent thermistor here has continuity.

Ok, in that case this may be relevant:

Dear all,
I would like to thank all of you that posted in this thread over the years since it helped me to verify and fix my dehumidifier (Meaco DD8L junior).
I had the same problem as menu of you were the machine stopped working and the error light came on.
After reading this thread I concluded that the issue was the thermistor. With trying and a little spying (on my brother's dehumidifier) I found that the thermistor is NTC 100Kohm.
After replacing it it's working perfectly.
Once again thank you all for your help and I hope that my post will help someone in the feature!

I know you have a Zambezi, but I think these are both made by the same company (YouLong) and one could assume that they'd use the same thermistors, along with many other components. Given the low cost of replacing it (~£2) it's probably worth a shot:

https://www.mouser.co.uk/c/circuit-protection/thermistors/ntc-thermistors/?package / case=DO-35&resistance=100 kOhms&termination style=Axial&instock=y

Of course we still don't know the β value of these (someone should do the necessary measurements...), but my guess would be the machine will happily run with any 100k NTC thermistor. N.b. this statement comes without any warranty!

Last edited:

Lomax

Visit site
I suppose you could do a bench test with a 100k or 120k resistor in place of the thermistor if you happen to have one to hand, just to verify there's not something else wrong with the machine. The resistance values for thermistors is given at 25°C, so a 100k resistor should make the controller think it's 25°C all the time. Also, if the machine accepts this value and runs it would serve as a very basic confirmation that it is indeed a 100k thermistor you need. Again, I can offer no guarantee that this won't damage the machine / set your house on fire / open a multidimensional portal / etc - use your own judgement and common sense, and be careful when poking around where live mains voltages are present...

Asgaroth

Visit site
Hi All,

Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their woes and fixes for the Meaco DD8L dehumidifier!

I have a Meaco DD8L Zambezi dehumidifier, and, the issue that started yesterday is that after powering on, the unit appears to operate properly for anything between 3 to 5 minutes, after which a code of "C1" is displayed on the LCD screen and the unit then starts its shutdown procedure. This "C1" error code remains on the lcd until I remove the plug from the wall. Powering it on again, and the same sequence of events occur.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I need to do in an attempt to try and correct the issue? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Asgaroth

Visit site

Hi,

Thank you for the tip/information, much apreciated. Did you need to have your unit sent in for repairs/replacement or were you able to sort the issue out yourself?
I've not taken mine apart yet to take a look to see what it looks like inside with regards dust/dirt, but, I'm not expecting much dust/dirt internally as this unit has had its filters cleaned at least once a month, but, who knows, it may be a shambles internally.

Thanks

thedirtyduck

Visit site
Thanks to the original poster for the excellent information and indeed all the subsequent add-on posts My DD8L Zambezi stopped working completely, dead as the proverbial doornail, it is less than 3 years old, moderate usage, and Meaco refused to even attempt to repair it. I'm trying to replace the thermal fuses, bit of a longshot but after that it's going to the bin, I'm not knowledgeable enough to diagnose further. It's on bits on the kitchen table just now, I have located said thermal fuses with help from posts here, we'll see what happens. If I have to buy a replacement it certainly won't be Meaco, rubbish after sales service. I'm interested if anyone has a positive alternative brand recommendation. Thanks!

Momac

Visit site
Unlucky that yours has failed so soon after the warranty expired .

I bought my dd8L in February 2017 and it was still working okay when I used it last .
Must be about time it went back on the boat .

Kt78

Visit site
Mine has just started with this squeaking noise which sounds like on the fan (increase the speed and increase the noise!). It is intermittent and seems like the fan needs an oil or something. Typical it starts overnight or 3am and it is driving me insane. Anyone have my easy fixes/ideas?
Thanks

My DD8L makes a squeaking noise. Not constantly but now and then. Lately more often.
IN order to apply some crease and oil I would like to get to the turning parts but don't know how to take the machine apart.

In my opinion I don't have to take everything apart, I just would like to remove the back panel. Can one of you tell me please what I have to do? And I want to de-dust the machine. It's +- 3 years old and working very well - except that funny squeaking. The machine is running day and night in my flat, that's why it's a bit of a problem during the night.

Lomax

Visit site
Mine has just started with this squeaking noise which sounds like on the fan (increase the speed and increase the noise!). It is intermittent and seems like the fan needs an oil or something. Typical it starts overnight or 3am and it is driving me insane. Anyone have my easy fixes/ideas?
Thanks

I suspect the squeaking noise might be coming from the desiccant wheel / motor rather than the fan. Disassemble and lubricate with a white silicone grease - avoid petroleum based products as that may degrade the plastic.

Lomax

Visit site
Ok, my turn to ask a question... :)

My DD8L Junior is permanently on at the lowest power & highest humidity setting (LEDs lit at 1 fan and 3 drops). This seems to bring the humidity level on board to around 50%, according to a high quality digital hygrometer I have installed, at which point the dehumidifier should go to sleep. This appears to work at least some of the time, after which it will periodically wake up to check if the humidity has gone up. But recently it started doing something odd: when the temperature on board drops at night (down to ~10 °C, brrrr) it seems to decide to go into high power mode all on its own, making a terrible racket as I'm trying to sleep, and it never switches off despite the humidity level going below 50%. It basically sounds like the laundry setting, though the LEDs still indicate lowest power (1 fan), and it's driving me nuts! Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

Wanderingfree

Visit site
I didn't see this post before replying, but yes, that's it. But you really should check if the resistance increases or decreases with temperature, and ideally what it is at another known temperature. Only then can you be sure if it's a PTC (resistance increases with temperature) or NTC (resistance decreases with temperature) thermistor, and precisely which such device (by checking that your two measurements agree with the curve in the datasheet). Boiling water is a reasonable approximation of 100°C (and if you know the current air pressure it can be quite precise).

Edit: With those two measurements in hand you can very easily calculate the "beta" value of the thermistor:

View attachment 104562

Where:

Rt1 = Resistance at Temperature 1
Rt2 = Resistance at Temperature 2
T1 = Temperature 1 (K)
T2= Temperature 2 in (K)

Since "beta" is a defining characteristic of thermistors having this value makes selecting the correct one easy.
Hi Lomax. Did you find the correct NTC thermistor with a PN?

PeterBoater

Visit site
Ok, my turn to ask a question... :)

My DD8L Junior is permanently on at the lowest power & highest humidity setting (LEDs lit at 1 fan and 3 drops). This seems to bring the humidity level on board to around 50%, according to a high quality digital hygrometer I have installed, at which point the dehumidifier should go to sleep. This appears to work at least some of the time, after which it will periodically wake up to check if the humidity has gone up. But recently it started doing something odd: when the temperature on board drops at night (down to ~10 °C, brrrr) it seems to decide to go into high power mode all on its own, making a terrible racket as I'm trying to sleep, and it never switches off despite the humidity level going below 50%. It basically sounds like the laundry setting, though the LEDs still indicate lowest power (1 fan), and it's driving me nuts! Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?
Three drops is lowest humidity (40%), not highest. It won't work normally or not at all if the temperature is below 1C. If it is noisy, perhaps the air filter is blocked or the unit is on an uneven surface. All this is in the manual.

Lomax

Visit site
Hi Lomax. Did you find the correct NTC thermistor with a PN?
Sorry, no - I never looked for one. And of course the process I outlined is of little use if all you have is a broken thermistor. That said, I don't think having the correct type is critical; you could probably get away with substituting it for a normal resistor for troubleshooting purposes... This guide seems to indicate they are both NTCs:

Screenshot_2023-01-29_19-51-51.png

Three drops is lowest humidity (40%), not highest. It won't work normally or not at all if the temperature is below 1C. If it is noisy, perhaps the air filter is blocked or the unit is on an uneven surface. All this is in the manual.

Right you are. It may be the selected humidity level then, though I can't check that at the moment. Filter is definitely clean, and the machine sits on an even surface (at least as far as that is possible on a boat).