Why no Macgregor 26's in the West of Scotland?

ash2020

Visit site
We are thinking of selling our Varne 27 and buying a Macgregor 26x. The main reason being that we often end up motoring and it takes hours to get anywhere. We want to go further afield and have limited time. We've done all the local places to death. I love the idea of doing 15 knots or road trailering. Although I am 70 and my partner's 65, we're not quite ready for a full on motor cruiser yet. Big question is, why don't you see many up here on the West Coast of Scotland? Are they really that tender? I've watched videos of them in very big seas, far more than we would ever go out in.
The Varne is a tough sailing boat but she's hard work to sail and the space is cramped, we never get a good night's sleep, so we're always knackered after a 2 day trip.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
We are thinking of selling our Varne 27 and buying a Macgregor 26x. The main reason being that we often end up motoring and it takes hours to get anywhere. We want to go further afield and have limited time. We've done all the local places to death. I love the idea of doing 15 knots or road trailering. Although I am 70 and my partner's 65, we're not quite ready for a full on motor cruiser yet. Big question is, why don't you see many up here on the West Coast of Scotland? Are they really that tender? I've watched videos of them in very big seas, far more than we would ever go out in.
The Varne is a tough sailing boat but she's hard work to sail and the space is cramped, we never get a good night's sleep, so we're always knackered after a 2 day trip.
There were a couple of them in Largs last year.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
Friends of friends used to keep one up there happily enough I believe.

You don't see many of them anywhere because they are [insert pejorative here] boats according to accepted wisdom.

Would think there's some middle ground worth exploring between a Varne 27 and the radical option of the Macgregor though.

ash2020

Visit site
Friends of friends used to keep one up there happily enough I believe.

You don't see many of them anywhere because they are [insert pejorative here] boats according to accepted wisdom.

Would think there's some middle ground worth exploring between a Varne 27 and the radical option of the Macgregor though.
Any ideas on "middle ground" that will cover distances?
I realise they are not sailing boats, but we have very specific needs.

bitbaltic

Any ideas on "middle ground" that will cover distances?
I realise they are not sailing boats, but we have very specific needs.
Well, if I was bored to death with my cruising ground and tired of managing a small cramped boat in which I didn't get a good night's sleep, I'd consider:

a) moving the boat somewhere else permanently, or
b) buying a bigger boat which is faster and more comfortable, or
c) a+b

The Macgregor is still going to be a relatively small boat and not fast if you want to sail it. So I'm not sure I see the advantages over a small motorcruiser if you want to be more comfortable in your current cruising ground but move further afield more quickly. Unless your trailering option is really important due to time constraints, or larger yachts or a motorcruiser out of budget.

ash2020

Visit site
We have a specific need in that we are salmon farm "activists" and would like to be able to get to a farm maybe 20 or 30 miles away fairly quickly and then potter around, maybe take water samples, do some filming etc. We're not ready to give up sailing completely yet. At the moment it takes us hours and hours to do what we need to do. A yacht and a RIB would be the ideal but just haven't got the funds, We basically have about £15K to work with. Mind you, you can't exactly be incognito in a Macgregor! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Quite recognisable, especially with the Sea Shepherd flag at the cross trees!

WoodyP

Visit site
It depends on your budget, but my understanding is that the McGregor is more of a sheltered water boat, but there's plenty of tales of people taking them on long and rough trips. Many moons ago before I bought a proper boat?, I toyed with buying one. I still think that the concept is good,let down by the build. The price of McGregor's is high compared to a MAB, so they appeal to some.
Having just seen your follow up, I can see why you may want a quick getaway, in which case the bigger engine option will get you up to 30 knots.?

Last edited:

ash2020

Visit site
It depends on your budget, but my understanding is that the McGregor is more of a sheltered water boat, but there's plenty of tales of people taking them on long and rough trips. Many moons ago before I bought a proper boat?, I toyed with buying one. I still think that the concept is good,let down by the build. The price of McGregor's is high compared to a MAB, so they appeal to some.
Having just seen your follow up, I can see why you may want a quick getaway, in which case the bigger engine option will get you up to 30 knots.?
That sounds good, although we have the law on our side, some of those guys are big! I'm sure we wouldn't outrun one of their Redbays!

Topcat47

Visit site
I wouldn't consider one for use on the West Coast. The one's I've seen seem very lightly built. I don't think the hull form makes for sea kindliness. I'm not impressed by the rig or the accommodation. I've a few years on you and I doubt my Nich's any less cramped than your Varne but I'd not think of making that particular swap. I'd rather go the whole hog and get on old Nelson.

ash2020

Visit site
Well yes that’s a fairly specific need and something of a forum first.

I also cannot think of a more incognito boat than a macgregor. Maybe try dazzle camouflage on it?

can you buy a macgregor for 15k?
I wish there was something that would do the same thing that didn't look like a MacG! I really don't like the styling. There are a couple of 26X for around that price.

This is one of the hazards of working with dinghies. Two of our film guys.

bitbaltic

I wouldn't consider one for use on the West Coast. The one's I've seen seem very lightly built. I don't think the hull form makes for sea kindliness. I'm not impressed by the rig or the accommodation. I've a few years on you and I doubt my Nich's any less cramped than your Varne but I'd not think of making that particular swap. I'd rather go the whole hog and get on old Nelson.
+1 for the Nelson

scruff

Visit site
I've sailed the west coast for years and it's far from uncommon to get walloped with an un-forecasted 35+kts. Not the place for toy boats. Sounds like you want either 2 boats; a rib and a cruising boat or a motor cruiser really.