What IS it with (some) yotties?

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
We all like telling sea/war stories but that doesn't mean they're true.

Someone once told me the way to choose which yact to crew on an ocean passage is to ask the crew how the last crossing was. The one that says 'boring' is the one to go with. At sea boring is good.

The woman I felt sorry for was at a recent class meet. She didn't like sailing but had agreed to go. Her husband, who I met at the pub, had left her on a yacht with a blocked heads, on a mooring, in the rain, because she was scared to get in the rubber duck.

The next day we made fast to a pontoon in the rain and two hours later she was reading a book under the sprayhood wearing a brave face, full oilskins and a lifejacket. Don't reckon she'll be going again.

tome

www.google.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Her husband, who I met at the pub, had left her on a yacht with a blocked heads, on a mooring, in the rain, because she was scared to get in the rubber duck

[/ QUOTE ]

Bloody hell, what a heartless act. I couldn't even contemplate such mean behaviour and doubt if I'd be able to restrain myself from telling him so either

graham

Visit site
He considerately left her the tool kit so she could unblock the heads if she wanted to use it. You shouldnt jump to conclusions about people Tome.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

Ah well, anyone's welcome to come and yarn on my boat! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just give SWMBO a copy of Heavy Weather Sailing to read. After that the more amateur yarns won't seem so bad.

PeteMylett

blutek.co.uk
There are arseh**les in every pastime.

I have have spent years teaching SWMBO to ski. She can now ski pretty well. But the main problem in building her cofidence was the nits in the bar enjoying the old apres ski.

You can imagine the stories -- black runs, avalanches, amputated limbs, yetis...

These people should just get a life and not concentrate on ruining others'.

Rant over, back in me box!

fireball

Visit site
Just enjoy them - they are only a story!! Even if they are based on truth - chances are that it wasn't as bad as they say, and it was only that bad because they put themselves in that position ...

graham

Visit site
Thing is that memory is a strange thing. Seas get bigger by about a foot per year,wind strength goes up by a knot per year.The older the sweat the bigger /stronger the wind and waves.

Tristan Jones said something along the lines of "all my stories are true ,its just my memories that alter" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tome

www.google.co.uk
You're right rocksoft

Did I tell you about the time I was stuck on a black run in Verbier when my spinnaker halyard parted?

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Her husband, who I met at the pub, had left her on a yacht with a blocked heads, on a mooring, in the rain, because she was scared to get in the rubber duck

[/ QUOTE ]

Bloody hell, what a heartless act. I couldn't even contemplate such mean behaviour and doubt if I'd be able to restrain myself from telling him so either

[/ QUOTE ]

Contemplate it?

I'd get me nuts cut off!!!!!

fireball

Visit site
Ah come on - I'd quite like to be left alone on the boat ... even if it is raining ... well - actually, if it was raining then I'd be more likely to suggest staying on the boat ... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

fireball

Visit site
well - I know SWMBO wouldn't let me sit and read until I had ... but then I'm quite used to fixing or cleaning the heads ... it's always my turn!

alec

Visit site
I think we have all become infected by the worst press and media in the world.

British that is. This is the opinion of many people outside of the UK.

Constant negativity. Everything that goes wrong someone has to be found and shot. This creates fear and stifles creativity. It has lowered the British people as no other race of people has in history.

Yes............ we can't help but think negatively most of the time. Or can we ?

Neraida

www.neraida.org.uk
Funnily enough, I've come across the exact opposite. Most rufty tufty sailors I've met have been ever so modest about their experiences and have left me feeling like a bit of a woos.

Davydine

Visit site
It is often the way, the force 6 is always a 7 gusting 8 by the time a couple of pints have been sunk in the yacht club bar.

Tell SWMBO that there is a lot of rubbish that gets talked about sailing. Lets be honest if everyone went out and scared themselves sh1tless every weekend they would soon give it up. The reality is that that sailing is not inherantly dangerous, but potentially very unforgiving. How many times have you expereinced these terrible conditions?

Personally I remember lots of spanking sails up the coast with a fair wind and the tide helping us, all followed by a nice dinner in a fine restaurant or evenings spent in a stunning anchorage with a glass of fine wine and good company (mostly my SWMBO and the dog!) No the wind did not pick up to hurricane force over night and the anchor did not drag. Oh and the great pub with the moorings at the end of the beer garden and the thrill every time I stop the damned engine and just feel the sails fill and the boat heel (but not too much!) and the speed build.

Yep there have been a few rough passages (10 days ago off the Friesian Islands in a 7 on the nose for 24 hours was one) but they just make you appreciate the good ones even more...

Honestly it really can be lovely out there!

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

David