Vendee Globe and Alex Thomson / Hugo Boss

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
It's interesting that only one competitor so far has eyeballed something in the water. Not that it's ever going to be
easy, particularly at night.

Is there a relationship between wind and sea state and having a collision ? Most seem to have occurred fairly recently in the race.

Just wondering if just crashing into wave all wrong could be the same as feeling you have hit something ?

Not that you could do anything about it anyway. Listening to the competitors, they change gear and slow down
as a matter of course in nasty conditions.

Last edited:

Ravi

Visit site
It looks like for the leaders and the 8 boat chasing peleton the opportunities for stealing an advantage by creative routing are gone for the next 4 days or so. It should be a straight battle of boatspeed to the 'mark' at the Kerguelen corner.

The front three continue much as they were although, significantly, Burton has chipped another 30M off Dalin's lead today which has now been cut to less than 150M. It was 300 miles on the 29th. Ruyant remains, like a shadow, 200M behind Dalin.

Tonight might see Burton steal a little bit more from Dalin's lead because of a preferential wind angle. Burton is running East along the top of the moving weather system with wind and waves on the starboard quarter. Dalin's delayed decision to head South means that will have the the (true) wind on beam tonight - and possibly end up close hauled in the apparent wind on his SE course. This is likely to not only slow down his foiler but to give him a very uncomfortable night. Dalin may choose to bear away and give up VMG for speed and comfort. Either way, Burton gets an advantage

Burton's decision, last week, to take a more Southerly course is looking like a masterstroke.

If my prediction is correct Burton should improve his distance to the finish line over Dalin by 20 to 28M overnight.

After that, all 3 leaders should have 96 hours of a South Atlantic drag race in identical conditions. It will be fascinating to see how they perform. Margins will be small but even 0.5 knots an hour adds up after 96 hours!

And all this while the peleton follow 400 M behind, like basenjis waiting for their prey to tire or fail. As long as they keep moving at nearly 20 knots, they should be able to ride the huge weather system round the Kerguelen corner and keep in touch with the leaders. They will be hoping that the leaders hit some dead wind somewhere ahead, in which case, the 400M lead can evaporate in no time.

Meanwhile Alex is tearing his way through the commercial traffic fleet at 18 knots towards Capetown. I hope the harbour bar is open when he arrives.
? ? ? ? ?

Ravi

Visit site
I’m trying to work out what point you’re trying to make?

If his post makes you feel a bit BLUE then I don't blame you for taking the HUMP. BACK in the day, people knew the RIGHT sort of thing to post on forums but nowadays the cheeky little MINKES think they can get away with anything. An old GREY forumite like wully1 should BOW his HEAD in shame over his post.

Frogmogman

Visit site
If his post makes you feel a bit BLUE then I don't blame you for taking the HUMP. BACK in the day, people knew the RIGHT sort of thing to post on forums but nowadays the cheeky little MINKES think they can get away with anything. An old GREY forumite like wully1 should BOW his HEAD in shame over his post.

Thank goodness you didn't get as far as the sperm whale in your explanation.......

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I think it's the first time I see her not smiling
Meanwhile RB3SOLOSAILOR (Hugo Boss) is just rounding the mole at Cape Town.
View attachment 104298
5fc9fb5539819f2566844a22.png

Nice image from Radisson webcam
(posted on French forum Heo)

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Meanwhile RB3SOLOSAILOR (Hugo Boss) is just rounding the mole at Cape Town.
View attachment 104298
I hope his wife and family have flown out. If my experiences of Cape Town are anything to go by, he’ll be well looked after. He’s a great guy and great ambassador for the sport and his sponsor(s).