Vendee Globe and Alex Thomson / Hugo Boss

westhinder

Visit site
You could have a system which puts the helm down and luffs the boat if a collision is imminent and the alarms have been missed if the CPA goes below say 0.5 mile.
That might be interesting when the boat is doing 20 knots or more on a reach and the helm is put down suddenly. It would be a certain way of waking them up ?

Frogmogman

Visit site
I have been wondering if it is possible to link the alarms to the autopilot on boats like this. It’s a bit like the automatic braking in my car, which takes over if i am in danger of running into a stationary car. You could have a system which puts the helm down and luffs the boat if a collision is imminent and the alarms have been missed if the CPA goes below say 0.5 mile.

Good idea , but still not foolproof. If you recall, Francis Joyon piled IDEC up onto the pointe de Penmac’h in 2005 in his way to la trinité after breaking the transatlantic record. The boat’s electrics tripped out as he was having a snooze.....

NDG

Visit site
That might be interesting when the boat is doing 20 knots or more on a reach and the helm is put down suddenly. It would be a certain way of waking them up ?
Luffing up at 20 kts would be my choice over colliding with a steel fishing boat.....:)

Kola

Visit site
Looks like Boris left his signature on the fishing boat!

Attachments

• Hermanos Busto.jpg
    Hermanos Busto.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 61

Frogmogman

Visit site
So where do we reckon jeremie beyou will finish? Surely he couldn't catch tripon/attanassio/cremer? but there's still some time for retirement at the front. I'll go for "at least 15th" but maybe risk as high as 13th?
Spot on with 13th.

Frogmogman

Visit site
I think it’s possible that Charal may actually have the fastest lapsed time, given how much later his restart was

that would make 3 ‘winners‘ which would be another turn up for this extraordinary event
Nope.

His elapsed time after re-start was 80 days 16 hours 05 minutes, which would have been good enough for 7th.

Fair play to Beyou for a great effort. It must have been a crushing disappointment for him to return for repairs; I was touched by his remarks after crossing the finish line "That's our sport, yacht racing; it happens. You should never give up, even if the scenario is not that which you would have chosen. It's not been the Vendée Globe I hoped for, but it's so beautiful to have arrived at the finish line"

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Nope.

His elapsed time after re-start was 80 days 16 hours 05 minutes, which would have been good enough for 7th.

Fair play to Beyou for a great effort. It must have been a crushing disappointment for him to return for repairs; I was touched by his remarks after crossing the finish line "That's our sport, yacht racing; it happens. You should never give up, even if the scenario is not that which you would have chosen. It's not been the Vendée Globe I hoped for, but it's so beautiful to have arrived at the finish line"

And Samantha Davies still boldly going with a possible fun contest with Isabelle.

Frogmogman

Visit site
A well deserved 14th place for Sam Davies’ husband, Romain Attanasio. He’s sailed a brilliant race, knocking nearly 20 days off his time in the last event. I’ve loved his video messages, in which he has been unfailingly cheerful and good humoured.

Here’s his analysis of what it takes.... "A Vendée Globe is 80% hard work and 20% madness".

Last edited: