This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

Tradewinds

Visit site
Yes, very worrying. But I have to say, IMO not unexpected considering it appears to be a residential area.

Good luck to Leo.

PS I'm a Patron (in a small way).

burgundyben

Visit site
Likewise. I just checked it seems I became a Patron in Nov 18. Time flies.

I saw this coming a long time back, I'm surprised it's taken this long.

Before I watched the vid, I saw on Facebook that there is trouble at mill and commented to my wife that the boat could probably now be moved. Clearly Leo doesn't think so.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
It didn’t start out as a business; it started as Leo using his own savings, and when they were all gone it had to depend on Patreon. Not simple.

I think Leo’s concern may be that an undecked and uncaulked hull will be floppy.

But considering that the hulk was trucked from Oregon, I suppose the new hull can be trucked to Port Townsend, in the worst case.

In the best case Leo agrees a deadline to get the deck on, the bulkheads in and the ballast keel back, then moves to Port Townsend to fit out?

tillergirl

Visit site
Agree he didn't intend to have a business but nowadays I fear the rules would say it receives income, makes a profit, employs an employee and should be paying tax. Don't get me wrong, I want him to continue all the way and fight and wriggle all the way. But I fear once the ball starts rolling........ Actually I think the County may have put off the issue for as long as they can continue. But one person clearly gets enjoyment making trouble and knows how to cause trouble.

You are right about Leo's fear. I would argue that the deck is pretty important to stablise the hull. I re-decked TG and was very surprised as to the importance of a deck as a structure. Mind you I ought to have just thought about eggs to realise it!

I agree with your last sentence.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Yes, troublesome. Frankly it is difficult to argue he hasn't been conducting a business there. And it is hard for the tribunal (or whatever it is called) to make a decision otherwise.
I wonder which aspect of the operation is most like a business?

Probably, having regularly paid employees.

Patreon donations can't turn a personal project into a business surely? They are gifts, with nothing expected in return except YT videos.

How is he 'making a profit'? Adding value to the yacht perhaps, that is true.

If the project is retrospectively treated as a business, he will have been breaking dozens of regulations, maybe the next video will be from jail :)

Fingers crossed anyway.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Good points including the point about the stiffness given by the deck. I think that, in the worst case, a temporary deck and bulkheads of shuttering plywood might be a plan.

I don’t think Leo intends to sell the boat. He “took pity on her” and set out to rebuild her on his own dollar.

I think Pete is a contractor not an employee. I think that many of us have employed professional help on our boats. I know I have. (I have engaged members of the wbf forum as contractors!) Any mention of “engine”, “electrickery”, “electronics” “gas” or “cutless bearing” and I am reduced to a quivering jelly. But I don’t think I’m running my boat as a business!

Last edited:

tillergirl

Visit site
He hasn't mentioned about his income from utube (very wisely), Gary. Note the Exhibits are extracts from the website and vids.

Pete may well be a contractor but note the problem that Uber have just had with 'contractors'. Albeit that is UK law. I would hope he could argue that he isn't conducting a business but you can be sure to win that argument you would need a (!) lawyer. First thing I would do is consult a lawyer and I am sure he would need to make a strategic decision: fight or ask for understanding until he can move the boat.

ridgy

Visit site
Whether he is a business or not is neither here nor there, that is simply the mechanism being used to evict him.
I'm surprised its gone on for as long as it has. How would you like it if an outdoor building site with no fixed end date suddenly appeared next door to you? It would get on my tits and I like boats, imagine if you had no interest in them? I love Tally Ho but it's just not reasonable to use power tools outdoors all day every day in a residential area for months and years on end especially when there is an entire boat building industry not far away. Even if he could find a way around it he needs to secure the boat and find somewhere else. Would sure be a shame to lose that workshop though, maybe he can borrow the machines.

tillergirl

Visit site
I wonder if the 'previous' workshop had been a business. I seem to recall in a very early vid that he talked of the owner offering the workshop because he (the owner of the house) had changed businesses.

I do also wonder if the 'County' has deliberately postponed action for as long as they could. Wasn't the 12th February the date the boat was due to move?

ridgy

Visit site
I wonder if the 'previous' workshop had been a business. I seem to recall in a very early vid that he talked of the owner offering the workshop because he (the owner of the house) had changed businesses.

I do also wonder if the 'County' has deliberately postponed action for as long as they could. Wasn't the 12th February the date the boat was due to move?

Ah yeah makes sense, that is a very substantial workshop for private use, far more than the most extravagant of man caves. Plenty of wood working businesses can only dream of something like that.
I always wondered why "the hosts" would just hand all that over for such a time period. Maybe they did it to spite the neighbour!

doug748

Visit site
It's interesting stuff, if Tally Ho is a business, in the sense that it is selling video content for financial gain, then what does this mean for all the other YouTube businesses doing the same thing? Do they all file their tax returns? I have no idea.

It's sad and a proper bind but I think the faster he can get out of there to a boatyard, the better.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
It's interesting stuff, if Tally Ho is a business, in the sense that it is selling video content for financial gain, then what does this mean for all the other YouTube businesses doing the same thing? Do they all file their tax returns? I have no idea.

It's sad and a proper bind but I think the faster he can get out of there to a boatyard, the better.

I do internet based work - I edit documents prepared by academics whose first language is not English. I file tax returns, as it is a substantial source of income for me. I daresay that I could get away with not doing so - as far as I can see the IRC have no way of knowing about it (I'm paid into an overseas bank account). But if they did, I'd get clobbered by a massive tax bill and a substantial fine, so I play safe, as well as it being the right thing to do. I'd be very surprised if Leo doesn't do the same. But he will be able to claim a much higher proportion of the income as expenses than I can!

Other threads that may be of interest