This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Wouldn't some sort of temporary deck secure the boat better?
Yes, just clamp on some scaffolding boards athwartships, with chocks screwed into them to maintain the beam accurately.
Although, what about the keel, that would benefit from an RSJ bolted on for the trip if possible.

Last edited:

tillergirl

Visit site
I reckon it all a matter of degrees. TH, well supported on a very suitable trailer on some nice smooth roads? Well possible but the fact is eggshells work better when whole. If anyone has a cabriolet, they will know about scuttleshake. I've had a Merc and Audis. The Merc wasn't great at excluding scruttleshake. the Audi's were much more rigid but when I changed to an Q5 it was obvious. Of course the cabriolets are fine but not driving incomplete units.

I think Leo is/was planning to reuse the keel. Mind you it was lead so he might have been planning to improve it.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Yes, troublesome. Frankly it is difficult to argue he hasn't been conducting a business there. And it is hard for the tribunal (or whatever it is called) to make a decision otherwise.
What is your definition of a business?

He is not selling anything.

He is seeking donations and nobody receives anything except the thanks and the knowledge that they contributed to the restoration of his boat 'Tally Ho'.

If one
i) has a boat and​
ii) one is repairing it 100% in ones backyard and​
iii) one employs people to help with parts that one cannot do by one's self and​
iv) one asked people for donations to help and​
v) one records one's efforts and posts them (without charge) on Youtube,​
is that a business?

Last edited:

tillergirl

Visit site
"YouTube and selected creators earn advertising revenue from Google AdSense, a program that targets ads according to site content and audience "

You don't need to be selling anything to have a business. Do you honestly expect all the donations to be paying a contractor/emplyee, feeding all the voluntary peeps and paying all the huge costs such as timber all from the donations? The timber for the frames alone was $50K or thereabouts and a similar sum for the planking. Then think about the cost of the metal for the floors etc. That was $10k's and then the cost of the casting. And that is only part of it. Do not think I do not support Leo. I do and I admire him, and I regard the videos some of the best work you can find. Have a lot at some other examples of peeps who are creating a living from displaying videos (without charge) - e.g. some interesting examples are model railway supporters.

I hope the County will wear a beneficial eyepatch when they are making their decisions.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
He says he has expended all his saving.

Leo's 'Tally Ho' seems to get 300k - 400k views per video.

The standard figure 1000 views = 1 USD can be used for approximation (giving you 300 USD), but anything from 1000 views = 0.2 USD (60 USD in total) to 1000 views = 5 USD (1500 USD in total) isn't uncommon. It could be more than that. I checked on the last 300k views for one of mine and it's made about $700.

So if all videos were 300K then 93 x $700 = $65,100.00.

This does not include donations by Patrons.

Interesting that there is only one (yes - there is always one ?) person that has complained.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Leo Goolden is a fine example of “build it and they will come!”. Part of the fun is watching to see if he takes a short cut. 88 episodes and it’s still all Watts and Jurd. I remember two distinct turning points - the decision to scrap the keel and the decision to loft the boat when despite not having anything like the resources he chose to do things the difficult and expensive way. And that’s what makes it so inspiring.

ridgy

Visit site
What is your definition of a business?

He is not selling anything.

He is seeking donations and nobody receives anything except the thanks and the knowledge that they contributed to the restoration of his boat 'Tally Ho'.

If one i) has a boat and ii) one is repairing it 100% in ones backyard and iii) one employs people to help with parts that one cannot do by one's self and iv) one asked people for donations to help and v) one records one's efforts and posts them (without charge) on Youtube, is that a business?

He is very firmly in the boatbuilding business, he even has a sign up "The Sampson Boat Co".
It just so happens that he is the customer and someone else is paying.
The suggestion that this is akin to someone fixing their folkboat up on the weekends I think is a bit ambitious.
This hasn't been a "repair" for a very long time. If you were to observe a normal boat yard and then Leo, the only difference would be that more of the staff are getting paid.

tillergirl

Visit site
Thanks Nigel. That press report is bad news.

I must admit I was surprised he was allowed to make that level of noise but it seemed nobody bothered until......

Tradewinds

Visit site
I just got that link from his FB page
Sampson Boat Co Friends

I think he's got to be careful how he comes across - I thought he was a little careless with his words in the last video. He is an 'alien' as well so quite vulnerable.

There are a quite a few mouthing off on his FB page but quite a few more urging caution and politeness in posts, letters, emails etc (as he has asked for himself).

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
ALSO:

RVs, bed and breakfasts topics in Department of Community Development forum  | Peninsula Daily News
New community development director to be tougher on placement of rural marijuana firms
The director-elect said the legalized pot industry has “turned people’s lives upside-down,” adding that she will “proceed with caution” as the county develops permanent zoning regulations for state-licensed marijuana businesses.