Fatality after boat/PWC collision off Menai Bridge

Visit site
A water bike? Is that a jet ski or some pedal-driven thing? An accident with the latter seems rather strange, but sad all the same. :(

Richard
The term which I remember from decades ago is water scooter. Is Jetski not a trade name ?
I've heardthem called many things :mad:

johnalison

Visit site
They are accidents waiting to happen, to coin a phrase. There was one operated by a Neanderthal at Bawdsey a couple of days ago, roaring up and down close to dozens of people swimming. I was preoccupied with where I was going and couldn't record it.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The term which I remember from decades ago is water scooter.
A few years ago I sold a NOS Vincent marine engine to a chap who was a restoring an "Amanda Water Scooter" which is generally reckoned to be the first PWC.

vincent-amanda.jpg

Quiddle

Visit site
They are accidents waiting to happen, to coin a phrase. There was one operated by a Neanderthal at Bawdsey a couple of days ago, roaring up and down close to dozens of people swimming. I was preoccupied with where I was going and couldn't record it.
To be fair, it's not just the users but the authorities to blame. There are no speed restrictions at Menai Bridge which can be a busy stretch of water on which distraction is easy due to strong currents and eddies. Similarly, the case of the power boat hitting Hamble Point SCM at over 100 knots. Why are those speeds allowed in such places?

Aquaboy

Visit site
The last time I sat at Felixstowe ferry (Thursday evening) there was a seriously quick blue one around and an older stand up type.
I assume they wait until the harbour master disappears tea time..

Aquaboy

Visit site
BTW I thought it was a "Wet bike" one of the originals. You could hire them in docklands for a while and Roger Moore played with one in "The Spy Who Loved Me"

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
To be fair, it's not just the users but the authorities to blame. There are no speed restrictions at Menai Bridge which can be a busy stretch of water on which distraction is easy due to strong currents and eddies. Similarly, the case of the power boat hitting Hamble Point SCM at over 100 knots. Why are those speeds allowed in such places?
I think it’s 40kt limit for that stretch of Southampton water.

Visit site
Jetski and a RIB, girl was in the RIB apparently, no more information being released yet but I can see this ending in a speed limit down the straights, too many idiots around that spoil it for everyone.