Fatality after boat/PWC collision off Menai Bridge

ari

Visit site
I'd love a paintball gun. Seriously though there should be some sort of mandatory training for very small vessels to highlight to the owners they are not inconsequential toys and still bound to maritime law and ettiquette

Agree with this in theory, the problem is that it will only affect those already responsible enough to care. It won't stop the hard of thinking buying a jetski or speedboat off Ebay 'for a laff' and heading out to sea.

Then there's the question of who's going to police it (policeman on every slipway all day?), and what do you do if you do catch one? Take their licence away? There isn't one.

Agree completely that something needs to be done as the tragic subject of this post highlights. Just can't see what would actually be effective and workable.

TSB240

Visit site
Launching sites on the Strait are wide open . The speed patrol is toothless and in furlough this year.
The problem of unskilled and probably uninsured operators will remain.
The control of navigation on the strait is a split responsibility between Caernarfon Harbour Trust and the Gwynedd Council maritime unit.

The complete absence of any patrol has lead to zero education and very limited adherence on speed limits at Felinheli this year.

There remains total ignorance of the charted speed limit areas off Victoria Dock, Abermenai and Llanddwyn Island. These protected traditional anchorages were overrun by Ribs complete with towing toys wakeboards etc. None of which are much fun at 5 knots.
It will be interesting to see if there is any action taken by the Maritime department of Gwynedd County Council. I suspect their long touted boat registration scheme would be a good starter and possibly a money earner.
No insurance.
No registration
No Number.
No launch.
Easier for anyone to grass up a Jet Flea or even a Stinkie! (Especially if they are running on "Archers" only Bruce!)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I was thinking about the (alleged) failure to use the kill cord.
Very often these accidents result in the death of family members of the driver (for example) and it looks as if the authorities take a "they've suffered enough" approach. I'm with you. More books need thrown more firmly. Failure to use a kill cord is, to me, the same sort of moral culpability as drink driving.

Portofino

Visit site
In the 90 s I had a jet flea , Wife + MIL , From Llandudno.
We lived in E York’s .At Bridlington on the E coast ( 35 min drive ) you had to show your insurance to the council bods running the slip on S shore before launch . .No insurance no launch .East Riding of Yorkshire Council .
Thought all councils were the same ?

When the kids were toddlers we often went over for long WE d etc .
I was surprised I could launch at Rhos on Sea without anybody needing to check insurance .
I recall once launching near Conwy marina again nobody checked .*
Rented a cottage near Abersoch once and just drove the car on the beach and plonked it in , no questions asked .

* was bombing up the Conwy river on the ebb once full speed , it was a 92 model with then only by today’s stds 45 Hp .
Not sure how fast I was going but suddenly came to an abrupt stop and flew over the handle bars tumbling in 4 inches of water ....hit a sand bank .
By the time I gathered my composure the Seadoo was high n dry with the water dropping away .
Took all my might and strength to drag it back into the water .
Just as well as it needed a dam good clean out ...full of sand in the impeller .I turned it on it’s side to poke it out before getting going .
Returned to Conwy to the mouth of the estuary N or the marina to be greeted by the MIL

“ you’ve been a long time dear ...we were getting worried “
MIL + wife + kids playing a sand castles .

Happy days .

Got the impression a lot of lads come from Liverpool/ Manchester with the toy in tow .

Some thing reguvlatorial needs to be done even checking ins and collecting a small launch fee by the council .
Used to pay £2 at Brid .Council provided taps to flush out too .

Perhaps this tragedy might stimulate some regulation / control ?

In France over 6 Hp you needs a permit d Mer , most marinas have a “ Bateau Ecole “ .....

The problem is charter yachts allowing a punter to have a go .
let’s face it having forked out anywhere in the region of £ 20-60 K for a week ....they want there monies worth .
But then there are council patrols , on Boston Whalers + twin Yam 225s patrolling.....so it’s not too bad .....danger wise .

Last edited:

BruceK

Visit site
Confessions of the closet pirate Porto? Yes you are supposed to be both insured and registered to use Conwy slipways - from the estuary all the way to Colwyn Bay. However, anyone at the gate is a hit and miss affair and a bit of a shambles tbh. Especially this year

BruceK

Visit site
Launching sites on the Strait are wide open . The speed patrol is toothless and in furlough this year.
The problem of unskilled and probably uninsured operators will remain.
The control of navigation on the strait is a split responsibility between Caernarfon Harbour Trust and the Gwynedd Council maritime unit.

The complete absence of any patrol has lead to zero education and very limited adherence on speed limits at Felinheli this year.

There remains total ignorance of the charted speed limit areas off Victoria Dock, Abermenai and Llanddwyn Island. These protected traditional anchorages were overrun by Ribs complete with towing toys wakeboards etc. None of which are much fun at 5 knots.
It will be interesting to see if there is any action taken by the Maritime department of Gwynedd County Council. I suspect their long touted boat registration scheme would be a good starter and possibly a money earner.
No insurance.
No registration
No Number.
No launch.
Easier for anyone to grass up a Jet Flea or even a Stinkie! (Especially if they are running on "Archers" only Bruce!)

Steady on fella. I object to putting identifying registration on my vessel and you will have noted as you rose for your morning cuppa at 5:30 this morning I was fully law abiding doing 5 knts through your little village rubbernecking for the rozzers with a wad of baksheesh in the form of a gross of Yorkshire teabags for the good man.

Bouba

Visit site
The problem is, as ably demonstrated by Porto, yesterday’s hooligan becomes today’s responsible boater.
If the authorities become involved the speed limit will be set at a level that will upset everyone (a la Lake Windermere). If we chase off these young hairy chested louts where does our fresh blood come from? Where is our future? Who will buy your boat?

BruceK

Visit site
I like that philosophy, can I send them off to play somewhere else like I do my own kids during a sugar rush? "We're out of sweets, paddle over to Roy's boat, he has plenty"

BruceK

Visit site
As for Porto we dont have verifiable evidence that he is a responsible boater. In fact his choice of boat and penchant for speed seems to indicate otherwise

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I'd love a paintball gun. Seriously though there should be some sort of mandatory training for very small vessels to highlight to the owners they are not inconsequential toys and still bound to maritime law and ettiquette
Isn't part of the problem that they AREN'T covered by marine law; they have been determined not to be "vessels" by the courts?

ari

Visit site
Whatever you want to call it and I don't like them much either, seems to me that possession shouldn't carry a death sentence. My sympathies to to the casualty's family.

I am, of course, assuming that she was on the PWC, which isn't stated, but does seem more likely, just the same as a fatality in a collision between a car and a motor bike is far more likely to be the biker.

Given the size, weight and sheer speed of the larger jet skis (some will hit 70mph), the way many are ridden and the low sided nature of a RIB, it's not an obvious assumption to me.

humbug716

Visit site
PWC are becoming an issue in Plymouth, partly caused by QHM not wanting to apply a permit scheme like QHM Portsmouth and the bylaws being hopelessly out of date. Its a minority causing the problems and probably only a matter of time before a serious accident occurs.

shaunksb

Visit site
A female jet ski in collision with a boat , on the Menai straits , no more news yet.

I can’t see any report that says a female was on the jet ski.

Todays reports name the deceased as a 52 year old woman from Stoke who was on the rib it collided with. No details of how it happened.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
The woman has now been named and it would appear that the MAIB has been tasked as well. BBC report here Anglesey boat death: Family of Jane Walker from Staffordshire 'deeply shocked' 'Shock' at woman's death following boat crash
So, it would seem that it wasn’t the PWC driver that was killed but a passenger in a RIB. No point in speculating much at this stage but I will be interested to see just what happened when the MAIB report comes out.

SimonFa

Visit site
Very often these accidents result in the death of family members of the driver (for example) and it looks as if the authorities take a "they've suffered enough" approach. I'm with you. More books need thrown more firmly. Failure to use a kill cord is, to me, the same sort of moral culpability as drink driving.
This.

Without making any comment about the case at hand, if you’re negligent enough not to wear a kill cord you should be hammered, its not just the punishment of the negligent, family or not, it’s the deterrent that is important here.