The right way to do cockpit speakers!

prv

Visit site
When we bought Ariam, she had a pair of smashed-up speakers in the sides of the cockpit. I put the damage down to charter use, and replaced them with new ones.

Despite reasonable care, during the first season the starboard one got broken, the second season the port one. The location is just too susceptible to being leant on, kicked, and elbowed, but there's nowhere else that would be any better, at least not with space behind for mounting. Also, during the occasional boisterous passage when the top of a wave might land in the cockpit, I was acutely aware that apart from a flimsy cone, a flush-mounted speaker is really just a big hole in the fibreglass.

I decided that this winter I was going to glass up the holes (you may remember a thread about how to get a seamless finish on the gelcoat). We don't use the speakers all that much, so if no holes meant no speakers, then so be it. However, I was planning to try out a pair of transducer speakers to see if I could get the best of both worlds.

Well, today I glassed up the big speaker holes (gelcoat tomorrow) and installed two of these on the inside of the cockpit coaming nearby:

ghostply.jpg
ghostlftsm.gif

( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281366153847?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT )

They work really well!

I didn't want to try turning them right up and subjecting everyone in the boatyard to Brad Paisley at maximum volume, but at normal listening level they sounded just as good as the conventional ones to my untrained ear. Neither bass nor top-end are noticeably lacking, and the sound is crisp and clear.

I mounted them using thickened epoxy. The transparent plastic disc unscrews, so I glued this in place on its own and let it set hard. Then screwed the working part back on and soldered the cables. It's important that the plastic disc is mounted absolutely rigidly in order to transfer the vibrations accurately - if it can rattle against the surface you'll get a loud buzz instead of the proper sound, and I imagine if you mounted it using silicone or sikaflex the rubberiness would absorb the high frequencies. Rock-hard epoxy/microfibre mix is ideal.

This is such a better way to do cockpit speakers. No big holes or vulnerable plastic grilles, just sound coming from seemingly nowhere (if you put your fingers over where the transducers are you can feel a slight vibration). The piece on the inside is fairly small, robust, and waterproof - mine are in a coaming void where they're safe from harm anyway, but if you had them in a locker these would survive much better than an open-backed speaker as often seen.

Just thought I'd let people know.

Pete

Ravi

Visit site
Thanks Pete.
I read your post and have ordered a pair. For months I have been agonising over cutting holes in the boat and I, finally, reluctantly resigned myself to doing it, this winter. And now I don't have to!!

Thanks. Great tip. I suspect that you may have seen into the future.

westhinder

Visit site
Good tip, thanks.
I'm in the same situation: broken speakers in the cockpit because they are in a position where they are highly likely to get damaged and what's worse where they make for an uncomfortable backrest.
Is it difficult to fill up the holes in a decent way? I am a complete novice at fibreglass/polyester work. How did you get a good colour match and gelcoat finish?

VicS

Visit site
If the specs are up to it, this could be a relatively cheap way of installing ultrasonic antifouling, and probably just as effective!

Play punk rock to the barnies perhaps? :)

Or if that doesn't work, recordings of the Sally Army band

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Doesn't seem to mention use in wet areas, apart from beneath the bath. The marine waterproof ones have plastic cones and stainless fittings, are these similar? Looks like a really neat solution.

prv

Visit site
Doesn't seem to mention use in wet areas, apart from beneath the bath. The marine waterproof ones have plastic cones and stainless fittings, are these similar?

The body appears to be completely sealed, the wires exit surrounded by some kind of potting compound (I assume the insides aren't fully potted as it must have at least one moving part!). The mounting disc is acrylic or similar, and from memory the mounting bolt is stainless - if it isn't, you could replace it with one that is. It screws into a brass bush.

The only deficiency in materials is that the wires are plain copper rather than tinned. Hopefully my installation with adhesive heatshrink on the individual cores and a second layer of adhesive heatshrink overall will prevent this becoming a problem.

Pete

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
and look at this "Will even propagate sound through water, can hear sound through the water". Under water speakers to go with the underwater lights !

I've seen underwater bluetooth speakers advertised which intrigues me. Is there some breakthrough in technology I have missed?

Habebty

Visit site
cardiac trolley on standby for searush

:D :D

Look good to me......yep just had a look and will be ordering some, as after 10 years I haven't had the heart to drill bloody great holes in my cockpit, which means my Sony stereo kept cutting out with only two saloon speakers wired into it. (It's a four speaker stereo which needs the load to stop it overheating or something?)

Thanks

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
I need to fit a couple of cockpit speakers too, and like the look of these a lot, but concerned about whether they'll work through a 1.5" thick laminate....

Your cockpit sides are an inch and a half thick? That's quite some boat!

I'm no expert on accoustics, I just bought a pair of these things on eBay and gave them a go. But my guess is that it'll probably be similar to using a through-hull depth transducer - do those work through 1.5" solid laminate?

Pete

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Yep, they are!

Its not a solid laminate though... its mahogany cored! :D

I think i'll give them a go.... the worst case is that I have to remove the inner skin and the mahogany, and put them against the outer skin... still better than a hole in the boat!

prv

Visit site
I think i'll give them a go.... the worst case is that I have to remove the inner skin and the mahogany, and put them against the outer skin... still better than a hole in the boat!

Since buying and fitting mine, I've found out a little more about them. Including the fact that the manufacturers actually recommend mounting them on a 3/4" thick wooden block rather than directly onto the GRP. So maybe your install will even be better! This assumes all the layers are firmly bonded together, of course - any scope for relative movement and I guess they would rattle and buzz.

Also noted that they recommend installing them in pairs connected in parallel; I don't know if this is just for increased volume or what, but my two singles (one per channel) work fine.

Pete