Tamd73P EDC help??

TheWolfTC

Visit site
Hello, I am new to the forum as suggested by another user and I am looking for "VolvoPaul". :)

I am having an EDC issue on my port engine, serial 2071109026m a 1999 TAMD73-P. The EDC has been determined to be "done". I have been trying to get one from Volvo any several dealers but they all say it is back ordered until Q4! How crazy is that??? The computer that runs the engine was phased out by VP while the new vendor try's to come online with the replacement.

I was told that VolvoPaul is THE MAN, when it comes to VP. Is there any sort of work-around for this edc?
Can it be repaired?
Hate to have my boating season ended 8 weeks early. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bill
AKA Thewolftc

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hello, I am new to the forum as suggested by another user and I am looking for "VolvoPaul". :)

I am having an EDC issue on my port engine, serial 2071109026m a 1999 TAMD73-P. The EDC has been determined to be "done". I have been trying to get one from Volvo any several dealers but they all say it is back ordered until Q4! How crazy is that??? The computer that runs the engine was phased out by VP while the new vendor try's to come online with the replacement.

I was told that VolvoPaul is THE MAN, when it comes to VP. Is there any sort of work-around for this edc?
Can it be repaired?
Hate to have my boating season ended 8 weeks early. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bill
AKA Thewolftc
Hi Bill , VP here , can you be a bit more specific with what your actual problem is ?
where is your boat , have you had a dealer plug in to read the codes , describe your problem in as much detail as you can ,

TheWolfTC

Visit site
Hi Bill , VP here , can you be a bit more specific with what your actual problem is ?
where is your boat , have you had a dealer plug in to read the codes , describe your problem in as much detail as you can ,

Hi VP,
Thank you for the prompt reply:
After returning to home port from a long trip, we stopped and topped off the tanks. No problem with that. Started the engines and put the boat in her slip.
4 days later planned to take friends out to lunch. Upon trying to start the port engine, it would crank but not fire. Technically it tried to fire once for a second, but that would be it. Each time we tried to start it, the engine cranks and turns over for a second.

Since my mechanic was 2 hours away and I have some basic knowledge, he walked me through a couple of things. He had me loosen an injector on top of engine, then push primer to see if fuel came out. No fuel came out after 20-30 primes. Then he had me loosen all 6 injectors, pack with paper towels and then turn the engine over for 5 seconds. The result was the same, basically little to no fuel at each injector. He thought it was the priming pump. He arrived at the boat 3 days later with priming pump...turns out, that was not it (no charge for part or labor in this case). The initial thought was the injector pump. (OUCH!!)

But to be sure, we decided to take the EDC off the stbd. engine and connect it to the port. Upon doing so the port. engine fired right up and ran fine. So, we ruled out the injector pump. We placed the good EDC back on STBD. engine and it to ran fine as it did before.

So, he then ordered the EDC and was told it would be in his hands on August 14th. On the 17th is when we were told it was on back order until Q4. Mechanic did not connect vodia tool while he was on site as he was assured the new EDC was going to be shipped and in his hands, so didn't seem like a relevant procedure at the time.

I tried Marine parts Europe and they to said it was not available, but even more so, they would ship to the USA...I would have had to find a dealer that does ship to USA.
The part number for the EDC is 3826995

So it cranks but does not fire..I am assuming the EDC is not telling the injector pump what to do. (?)

Thank you
PS: My boat is in the United States...northern Michigan to be exact.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Hi VP,
Thank you for the prompt reply:
After returning to home port from a long trip, we stopped and topped off the tanks. No problem with that. Started the engines and put the boat in her slip.
4 days later planned to take friends out to lunch. Upon trying to start the port engine, it would crank but not fire. Technically it tried to fire once for a second, but that would be it. Each time we tried to start it, the engine cranks and turns over for a second.

Since my mechanic was 2 hours away and I have some basic knowledge, he walked me through a couple of things. He had me loosen an injector on top of engine, then push primer to see if fuel came out. No fuel came out after 20-30 primes. Then he had me loosen all 6 injectors, pack with paper towels and then turn the engine over for 5 seconds. The result was the same, basically little to no fuel at each injector. He thought it was the priming pump. He arrived at the boat 3 days later with priming pump...turns out, that was not it (no charge for part or labor in this case). The initial thought was the injector pump. (OUCH!!)

But to be sure, we decided to take the EDC off the stbd. engine and connect it to the port. Upon doing so the port. engine fired right up and ran fine. So, we ruled out the injector pump. We placed the good EDC back on STBD. engine and it to ran fine as it did before.

So, he then ordered the EDC and was told it would be in his hands on August 14th. On the 17th is when we were told it was on back order until Q4. Mechanic did not connect vodia tool while he was on site as he was assured the new EDC was going to be shipped and in his hands, so didn't seem like a relevant procedure at the time.

I tried Marine parts Europe and they to said it was not available, but even more so, they would ship to the USA...I would have had to find a dealer that does ship to USA.
The part number for the EDC is 3826995

So it cranks but does not fire..I am assuming the EDC is not telling the injector pump what to do. (?)

Thank you
PS: My boat is in the United States...northern Michigan to be exact.
The very earliest EDC's have a thin layer of potting inside and can very occasionally be repaired. The later ones have thick potting and cannot be repaired. Take the lid off and see what's inside.

It's also worth contacting Coastal Rides in the UK as they occasionally have second hand ones for sale.

TheWolfTC

Visit site
The very earliest EDC's have a thin layer of potting inside and can very occasionally be repaired. The later ones have thick potting and cannot be repaired. Take the lid off and see what's inside.

It's also worth contacting Coastal Rides in the UK as they occasionally have second hand ones for sale.

Thank you..I will open her up and see what's inside...nothing to lose at this point. I also emailed Coastal Rides as suggested.

Appreciate your assistance today!

TheWolfTC

Visit site
Hi PeteM, I hope you had a good weekend!
I was able to get the EDC opened and look inside. Not sure f this is thick potting or thin...not familiar with what is considered either/or. If i had to guess, I would think this is thick? Of course there isn't much to see and nothing visually looked bad/burnt etc.

IMG_5374.jpg