SitRep May 31

oldbilbo

Visit site
JAC 2016 - Sitrep Fourteen

Ewen Southby-Tailyour tailyour@hotmail.com [jesterchallenge] <jesterchallenge@yahoogroups.com>

JESTER AZORES CHALLENGE 2016

SITREP No. FOURTEEN 311933AMay

"...And thick and fast they came at last,
And more, and more, and more,
All hopping through the frothy waves,
And scrambling to the shore." [For a cold beer and a warm shower?]

ARRIVALS - 3

Julien Pipat in Bula at 301030AMay

My wife Maura and I met Julian yesterday afternoon and shared his joy, relief, hatred, highs, and lows of his voyage, over a good meal. To say he was 'wired to the moon' would be an understatement! He had little weather info and sailed zigzag down the rhumb line. He also had no email so knew little of other Jesters movements. He has great concern for all still out there as we await Roger's arrival this morning? I will leave the whole story for him to tell later. There are many reasons we take the Jester Challenge but many of you may not have made the link (as I didn't ) that Julian’s interest was prompted by Blondie Hasler's 'Cockleshell Heroes' in his home port of Bordeaux. He has given a fitting tribute …Congratulations. Duncan.

Roger Fitzgerald in Ella Trout at 311005AMay. The first of today’s arrivals and superbly deserving of a mammoth BRAVO ZULU – (how old are you Roger?!)

Dear Eric, You were right. After a pretty gruelling night Ella Trout has finally made safe harbour. It was 1005 BST this morning. The weather is too rough to get into the marina so Dad can catch up with sleep but will have to wait for the shower!! He's hoping to get in tomorrow. Thanks to all his supporters and well wishers. He will update his blog later today. Best wishes, Sarah. Shoreside team.

Bonjour Sarah

From our local contact a boat just entered in Praia and get sheltered in the south. Probably too much wind to enter the marina single handed. It might by ET ! Amicalement Eric

From Duncan Sclare, Stop press Yacht just entered harbour. 99% ET. Going to South end for shelter. 0815 local.

Claude van Martyn in Oui Oui at 1220 BST. The surprise finisher; not that I am surprised that Claude finished, you understand, but we had heard nothing of him since just south of Land’s End. A really hefty BRAVO ZULU and I am sorry not to have been there to return the water-pistol salute you gave Black Velvet at the start. Bravo, Claude.

Message from Julien via Andy Lane, ‘Claude is in sight aboard Oui Oui.’ Received at 311300A. Roger is still at his anchorage.’

From Duncan: Oui Oui just entered Praia harbour 11.20 h GMT

BRAVO ZOULOU Claude, Eric

INDIVIDUAL REPORTS from those at sea - 5

Glen Maxwell in Tao Zou at 1030A, 40º 56’N; 23º 19’W co 240

Basil Panakis in Jaba at 1243A 40º.92083N; 20º.68521W. Routine position report. Jaba and skipper are fine.

Doug Pingel in Jekeeda via Eric and Len: Doug rang a few minutes ago to say "he is in a pickle with a torn genoa" and may need to retire away ‘temporarily’. He will try to ring later. Position at noon today is 38° 45’N; 23° 27’W co 260º. Amicalement, Meg

Tim Luke in Medusa at 0500A today, 48º 59’8º 38’W co 167º at 5.4 knots.

Trevor Leek in Jester at 1300A today 50º 12’17º 55’W co 230º.

TODAY’s NIL REPORTS - 4

Denis Gorman in Lizzie-G

Olivier Delebecque in Godot

Peter Orban in Tisza

Steve Hickey in Newlyn Maid

[Guy Waites in Betsy (Did not enter and will be removed from the next Sitrep.]

PAUSED - 2

Peter Crawley in Sheldro in Torquay.

Roy Tall in Spirit of Venus in Southampton

RETIREMENTS - 10

Bill Churchouse in Belgean: returned to Plymouth, reason not known

Ertan Beskardes in Lokum returned in good order to Falmouth.

Colin Reid in Tui returned in good order to Falmouth.

Guy Willing in Blue Grass returned in good order to Falmouth.

Tony Head in Triple Venture returned in good order to Plymouth.

Howard Chivers in Sandpiper returned in good order to Plymouth.

Duncan Sclare in Freebird: returned in good order to Baltimore.

Thom d’Arcy in Fathom returned in good order to Ria de Caedeira.

Jonathan Hopper in Francesca returned in good order to Plymouth.

Graham Humphreys in Tenacious returned in good order to ‘Blighty’.

Moons’ls!

Ewen