Setting out to sea - the river Exe

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
As we wait for the new sailing season to start, or get to the boat to go sailing, I'm sorting out some old pictures and thought I'd post this shot from a few years back.

I was crewing for a friend and on leaving the Exe there was a slight surf running. Oddly at that point he disappeared into the cabin, he an ex-Royal Marine and in my experience usually likes this sort of stuff, leaving me on the helm. Thankfully he was only going to find his camera and managed to snap this. We were able to locate the skipper of the other boat, a Mirage 28, and send him a copy.

Leaving the river.JPG

Do any others have some setting out to sea pictures?

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
As we wait for the new sailing season to start, or get to the boat to go sailing, I'm sorting out some old pictures and thought I'd post this shot from a few years back.

I was crewing for a friend and on leaving the Exe there was a slight surf running. Oddly at that point he disappeared into the cabin, he an ex-Royal Marine and in my experience usually likes this sort of stuff, leaving me on the helm. Thankfully he was only going to find his camera and managed to snap this. We were able to locate the skipper of the other boat, a Mirage 28, and send him a copy.

View attachment 107070

Do any others have some setting out to sea pictures?

Chichester bar has its moments like that too!

No pics - been too busy 'anging on!

dankilb

Visit site
Came across this video a few days ago.
The first guy had the right idea...! As a (pretty average) surfer, it’s definitely about picking your moment and committing! Give it some welly at the last minute so that, even if you do wipe out, hopefully you and the boat/board end up past the break! ?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
A few pics of the Exe today, looking from Exmouth towards Dawlish and Torbay, and the second up river towards Starcross. It’s good to see my dive boat is still on her mooring(y)

6BCE6211-8BC7-49D1-B325-FD4876843163.jpeg31EC7E11-AB47-46F5-A8C7-2949DF706A75.jpeg

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I wonder why they have moved the lifeboat to that mooring?
You should have asked earlier, I’d have taken a pic of the lifeboat slipway with the 3-4’ drop at the end!! The sand has been thoroughly washed away in that area, even the rocks look quite different at low water.

Adios

Visit site
Came across this video a few days ago.
Is it really smart to have the mainsail up there? Wouldn't it take off into the wall if the nose was pushed off?

Closest I've done similar was surfing into Oostende. Before they added breakwaters it was just a long channel. Was epic with a big onshore swell and you'd come in right under the yacht club windows for their entertainment.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Reminds me of surfing into Chi harbour in a centaur - is SophieB a Pentland by any chance?
Sophie B a Pentland, and Coral B a chance met Pentland thus his desire to photo us in "The Ifracombe washing machine" in poor weather. They followed us to Lundy after seeing that conditions eased about half kilometer out . They left Lundy early as it was stormy on mooring, but the Marisco Tavern beckoned us and then we had great sail home

Attachments

• Coral B 182 slightly rough leaving ilfracombe-900k.jpg
    Coral B 182 slightly rough leaving ilfracombe-900k.jpg
    836.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
You should have asked earlier, I’d have taken a pic of the lifeboat slipway with the 3-4’ drop at the end!! The sand has been thoroughly washed away in that area, even the rocks look quite different at low water.
Thanks, that explains the move.

We were down on Old Years Day at high water and did not see the end of the slipway. The swimmers were brave!

Frogmogman

Visit site
I've seen a few of those. Cap Breton would not be on my list of preferred places to keep my boat :eek:
Quite.

If you want to keep a boat in that part of France, it has to be Arcachon really. That way, you can just sail around in the bassin d’Arcachon if it’s horrid outside.

Whiterose

Visit site
Sophie B a Pentland, and Coral B a chance met Pentland thus his desire to photo us in "The Ifracombe washing machine" in poor weather. They followed us to Lundy after seeing that conditions eased about half kilometer out . They left Lundy early as it was stormy on mooring, but the Marisco Tavern beckoned us and then we had great sail home
Yes I can remember watching you go out ... didn’t you have problem with cutlass bearing in Ilfracombe?Anyway I was aboard Coral B may even have taken the photos?..yes we got over to Lundy ......went to Marisco as well for local lamb and beer.Hope Sophie B still good ..