Restaurant /Pub nr Chatham Marina

Aquafan

Visit site
Good Morning,
I will be in Chatham Marina on Saturday evening if the Gods are with me and would appreciate any recommendations for a good pub/restaurant which is not too far away, don't mind taking a taxi if needs be.
Thank you in advance

apollo

Visit site
Oh gawd no, Ship and Trades was terrible!!

There is a load of restaurants in the retail park, Chinese was awful, Nandos good but gets busy, the Mexican was pretty good too..

oldgit

Visit site
Good Morning,
I will be in Chatham Marina on Saturday evening if the Gods are with me and would appreciate any recommendations for a good pub/restaurant which is not too far away, don't mind taking a taxi if needs be.
Thank you in advance

The Ship and Trades has had a makeover and is better than it was.There is a plethora of chain food outlets nearbye which give you exactly what you expect.
Best of the bunch will be the two Italian themed places.
Fast and cheap will be the much maligned Taste of China,usually full with the sort of folks who pile the (small) plates HIGH to get the most quantity for their money :).

If you like Thai can reccommend Grand Ma Thai in Rochester High St.You will need a cab and also to book if at weekends.
Loads of eating houses in the old part of Rochester High St near Castle and Cathedral.

Decent food pubs over the river in Upnor opposite the marina but you will need a cab to get there via car only Medway tunnel..
Picturesque Upper Upnor with old Castle has the Kings Head (Gastro pub)and Tudor Rose (basic nosh.)
Lower Upnor has The Pier and The Ship.Both serve decent sensibly priced food .

Last edited:

OrfDan

Visit site
As a former Kent resident having just moved up to Suffolk last year, I think i am in a very good position to judge. Shepherd Neame has better beer in general but the Broadside from Adnams from the right pub is incredible.

oldgit

Visit site
Broadside from Adnams from the right pub is incredible.

One assumes that this particular "beer" is of the real ale brews so foul tasting that it takes 30 years of forcing the stuff down your throat before you are able to keep it down without gagging.
A neat marketing coupe by somebody using the power of advertising to convince the gullible that this evil liquid is somehow superior to all other beers simply because its brewed in some warehouse on an industrial estate in a dustbin by "craft brewers."
All this holding a freshly poured glass of dishwater up to light and commenting on how good it looks before savouring that first gulp and commenting to your nodding mates about how well it has been kept..
Get a life
Give me a nice clean lager any day......:)

alanch

Visit site
Nice grenade thrown in there. Am surprised no one has bit. Probably know you too well! Being both a lager and a real ale drinker, I cannot possibly comment.

Falling Star

Visit site
We were in Chatham Marina a few weeks ago. On the recommendation of a local cab driver, we had a fantastic meal at "Gurkhas Brother". This is Nepalese cooking - similar to Indian but different.

It is a mile and a half from the marina so not exactly close. Just 6 minutes in a cab and well worth a visit.

OrfDan

Visit site
Larger is certainly tasty in the sunshine.

Mind you, if you like larger, you'll probably enjoy some of the lighter, hoppier ales. Some taste very similar to some largers funnily enough. There's a whole range of them out there. The darker ales certainly are an acquired taste.

oldgit

Visit site
We were in Chatham Marina a few weeks ago. On the recommendation of a local cab driver, we had a fantastic meal at "Gurkhas Brother". This is Nepalese cooking - similar to Indian but different.

It is a mile and a half from the marina so not exactly close. Just 6 minutes in a cab and well worth a visit.

New one on me....where exactly is that then ?

oldgit

Visit site
Nice grenade thrown in there. Am surprised no one has bit. Probably know you too well! Being both a lager and a real ale drinker, I cannot possibly comment.

I have to put up with this pantomine EVERY Sunday evening when small group of ancient grumpies I know go through this palava in exactly the same sequence in exactly the same order every bluddy time,before going on at considerable length how the world has gone to the dogs and you used to be able to buy a decent pint of beer at 1p a gallon and before interbrew took over the world ...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Please God take me now ! :)

Aquafan

Visit site
Thought I would give some feedback having dined at the Ship and Trades on Sunday night (quiz night).
Good staff, good service, good beer and ok food .... it caters for the market. I don't see it getting a Michelin Star any time soon and it doesn't compare with many restaurants on the Thames for example The Beetle and Wedge at Moulsford, Caldesi in Bray The Two Brewers in Marlow or the Grapes at Limehouse.