Port Solent Marina

[165042]

Visit site
Any Port Solent berth holders? I'm thinking about changing marinas and interested in opinions on facilities, access, security etc.

Laundryman

Live in Hemel Hempstead, Boat is in Haslar.
Visit site
I was there for 3 years. Nice place to be. No problems with noise yet there is loads of entertainment. Good Restaurants, Bars. Nice staff, plenty of parking and a great chandlery. Toilet/shower facilities are kept spotless. The thing that did me in was waiting for space in the lock when the weathers good and the time it takes to get out into the Solent. Good place to winter but Gosport is better for the summer. Just my opinion. (stands back and waits for flack about the A32) Thanks Alan

ashtead

Visit site
You don't say where you are currently so apologies if you are migrating from Gosport !

Road access is probably best of all marinas on south coast compared to Hamble/Gosport/Chichester etc in peak times. Has a good chandlery onsite and lift/hoist facilities plus ashore storage. High risk of Sunsail sailors on water though which merits some consideration but have never noticed any problems on land from the charter crews
Never a permanent berth holder but visit however put off being based there due to lock exit delays in summer and the distance down water to Solent (same issue as Chichester without the attractive features) . As has been said a few restaurants and a cinema plus the local council dump is on the approach road should you wish to use on way to boat. You don't say your draft but if you have a keel of any substance might be a consideration at low springs ? which would be worth checking . Prices I suspect are higher than comparable at Gosport.

Gosport has major benefit of all tides access/no lock/ plus close to Green ferry across to nightlife and shops/eateries suiting all budgets at Gunwharf. Main downside is long slow road delays into Gosport and the local poor drivers however a good selection of supermarkets at all budgets on route. Also has a Waitrose nearby in Stoke Road plus Morrisons and Aldi/Lidl .
In terms of Gosport marinas need to consider wash from x channel ferries depending on seleced marina and some of the other marinas there have facilities some walk away on shore from pontoons which might be tedious on an extended basis but all seem good (not the same quality as Lymington though).
The attractiveness of Port Solent therefore might be dependent on how often you venture out and appetite for 40 odd minute motor back down Portsmouth harbour. As has been said if you want to stay afloat in winter might be fine though.

Tomaret

Visit site
Any Port Solent berth holders? I'm thinking about changing marinas and interested in opinions on facilities, access, security etc.
On the few occasions I've spent the night in the marina, road noise from the M27 has been noticeable, but I've always been close to the western end where the housing is lower rise than the blocks of flats at the other end and may not provide the same sort of noise buffer.

It's always a toss up in Portsmouth between road time down to Gosport and water/lock time from Port Solent or the moorings on Fareham Lake. The benefit of either is that most of the places you are likely to visit locally in and around the Solent are more picturesque than your home mooring (which is how it should be, I think).

Seajet

Visit site
I visit Port Solent a lot; I don't mind the water trip to and from the entrance at all, BUT the looong wait to be called and allowed to get out on a Sunday is a serious pain - not sure how tolerant I'd be if based there.

However I've been based in Gosport too and what with traffic and ambience there's no comparison among Portsmouth marinas IMO - if I were a marina type it'd be Port Solent or a different harbour like Chichester ( remember there's Northney, not as attractive as Chi Marina but no lock and no Witterings traffic ), Lymington or maybe even E Cowes.

Daedelus

Visit site
Advantage of port solent is that on the long trip up harbour you can get the boat ready for bed, just tie up and leave. However summer sundays can be a pain with loads of boats in a vague sort of queue wanting to get in.

Gosport has some very shallow bits indeed. I thought some sailor was making aright mess of berthing his boat but when i wandered along the pontoon to offer to take a line he said sadly he wasn't messing up getting into his berth, he had just run aground. Gosport say the earliest they will have it dredged is june. (Must admit, they didn'tsay this june).

ashtead

Visit site
Advantage of port solent is that on the long trip up harbour you can get the boat ready for bed, just tie up and leave. However summer sundays can be a pain with loads of boats in a vague sort of queue wanting to get in.

Gosport has some very shallow bits indeed. I thought some sailor was making aright mess of berthing his boat but when i wandered along the pontoon to offer to take a line he said sadly he wasn't messing up getting into his berth, he had just run aground. Gosport say the earliest they will have it dredged is june. (Must admit, they didn'tsay this june).
Well dredged now at Haslar if you fancy Gosport

davehobson

Visit site
Been in Port Solent 5 years. Love it. Best marina loos in U.K. (Having done circumnavigation and sampled quite a few ?). Good restaurants. Lucky enough to be on private pontoons at east end in shelter of tall flats. Brilliant shelter from weather. Small amount background noise from M27 more than compensated for by ease of access. Great chandlery and good yacht repairs. Most of year lock waits not bad or non-existent (weekdays). Bigger lock than Chichester where we were before and doesn't seem as bad as there.

Seajet

Visit site
A deepish keel getting out of Chichester Marina will be of much more concern than in and out of Port Solent !

The lock at Chi' is also much more turbulent, may bother a newbie crew but still not exactly a maelstrom.

Chichester Marina has lovely wildlife, but remarkably few - expensive - options to eat at, and the traffic may relieve you of that bother anyway.

I remember visiting Chris at CB Marine, the excellent stainless fabricators there, and being amused to see a large pile of mangled mobo pulpits, presumably results of jostling for the lock; I would guess it's the same at Port Solent although the lock is larger.

Northney is a bit sterile compared to Chi', but has much better access, excellent facilities inc cafe and a couple of good foodie pubs and nature reserves within walking distance, along with a good 24/7 garage with coffee bar nearby.

I don't work for them in any way but I think if I was a regular user of a marina based boat that would be my choice.

I honestly don't know what the latest situation is with Sparkes near Chichester harbour entrance, seemed to be languishing last time I visited by land a while ago, never had reason to visit by boat.

There's also Southsea Marina at the western edge of Langstone harbour, which has a raising scill, a good if tight marina but maybe not great surrounds to stroll around of an evening, a very good operational base if one keeps to the boat side of things, and I hear good things about the Indian place on site - but one is pretty much stuck with going to sea or nothing, if weather is poor or time is short, Langstone Harbour is grey, grim, nowhere to go apart from muddy anchorages, unlike Portsmouth and Chichester where there's loads of interest and places to visit.

Last edited:

Saguday

Visit site
I hope I'm not speaking out of turn but for those who don't know Disco Volante is a Stefini RPD66, over 20m long and no doubt with a draught to match. She is operating as a 'floating hotel' so I doubt any location with cills, tidal locks or thin sticky water will be very appealing. She looks very fine and I wish her well, I can see the desire to move closer to her client market but it's a shame to see her leave Plymouth.

prv

Visit site
I hope I'm not speaking out of turn but for those who don't know Disco Volante is a Stefini RPD66, over 20m long and no doubt with a draught to match. She is operating as a 'floating hotel' so I doubt any location with cills, tidal locks or thin sticky water will be very appealing.

Thanks, useful info. But I assume the OP was aware that Port Solent has a lock before he asked the question :)

I'm not sure what the depth in the approach channel is - probably a bit deeper than Chichester but it certainly feels pretty narrow at low water.

Pete

Playtime

Visit site
I have berthed in Port Solent for the last 4 years. Prior to that I have berthed in Gosport (both Premier and, for many years, Haslar), Northney and, many years ago, Southsea, so I have a good basis for comparison.

Port Solent has many attractions for us - easy road access (and closest to home) with plenty of parking (both bertholder only and public), excellent facilities (loos/showers), a wide range of restaurants, a multi-screen cinema, a few interesting shops, an excellent chandlers and good boatyard services.

The downside, of course, is access to/from the Solent. Yes, the lock can be a pain but a little forward planning can minimise the delay. One option to overcome the Saturday exit queue is to move down to Gosport on Friday evening (a freebie for Premier bertholders) and leave from there. Alternatively, leave before 1030 (there is rarely a queue that early) or call in to book a slot in the next but one lockout while you stow your stuff and prepare for sea. The lock holds 6 x 40' boats with floating pontoons to moor up to, so not a problem in itself.

Return on Sunday afternoon, especially if it's LW, can be more of a problem with few options. You can plan to arrive on free-flow (but that sometimes doesn't operate when expected), or earlier/later in the day when it will be less busy.

The 40 minute trip up/down the harbour gives plenty of time to prepare the boat, either for sea or for leaving on your return, and is preferable to 45 minutes in traffic on the A32 etc.

Depth in the north end of the channel at LW Springs can be a problem although recent dredging has largely resolved this (for the next few months at least) for boats less than 2m.

Finally, Port Solent has a very active yacht club with rallies organised every couple of weeks through the season with shore based meets and social events in the winter.

All the other marina options in Portsmouth, Langstone or Chichester have some problems. Swell from MoD work boats, site-seeing trips and large cross channel ferries can be bad in both Haslar and Gosport, Also depth in many berths in both is restricted. Recent dredging has only increased the depth in parts of each marina with more dredging planned for next year.

Southsea is only accessible +/- 2 hours of HW with a deep draught boat and is tight as previously stated. I doubt they could accommodate a 20m meter vessel.

Northney has good access from the water, except it is another 2 hours sailing beyond Portsmouth and has the restrictions of Chichester Bar. It is also 'boring' with few on site facilities. Road access, especially turning right from the access road to cross the bridge, can be a nightmare with Hayling Island Sunday afternoon traffic.

Chichester marina is in a lovely setting but water access is very restricted due to Chi bar and the very small lock.

Apart from the expensive options in the Hamble or Lymington, I have come to the conclusion that Port Solent has the most positives/least negatives for marina berthing in the Solent.

For a "floating hotel" I would have thought Port Solent would be an excellent base.

Last edited:

Saguday

Visit site
Thanks, useful info. But I assume the OP was aware that Port Solent has a lock before he asked the question :)

I'm not sure what the depth in the approach channel is - probably a bit deeper than Chichester but it certainly feels pretty narrow at low water.

Pete

Well, locks may not be an issue if large enough and fast enough. Anything with skinny water likely not be appealing

She's a she, incidentally, not a he - a very enterprising young lady and good luck to her.

derekgillard

Visit site
I'm in my first year there and like it. to overcome the lock issue we move to Gosport on a Friday afternoon and return Monday early . As stated before Gosport is FOC with unlimited mooring.
I like the security and staff....

Derek

James_Calvert

Visit site
As an occasional visitor my only niggle is that as the restaurants have proliferated, the shops on site have become less useful (the excellent chandlery aside).

Have to go off site to buy provisions or even a national newspaper.