Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

Daydream believer

Visit site
PM me and I will send you pdf of a Netherlands Schengen form and a Belgian version.

Alternatively follow the lead in this email I received from the RYA for the Belgian one"

Further toour telephone conversation this morning the information you were looking forregarding the Schengen procedure for Belgium in contained in a document at https://afdelingkust.login.kanooh.be/sites/default/files/atoms/files/ntm201701.pdfstarting from page 256. This document also includes a copy of the form on page259/260. "

yerffoeg

Visit site
Re: Levington boaters allegedly fined €500 in Belgium for red diesel

In July/August this year we spent three days in Nieuwpoort and a week in Blankenberge.

On board we had receipts to show that we had paid 100% duty on the last few red diesel fill-ups.

We were welcomed at the marinas we visited and at no time were asked for documentation. In Nieuwpoort the receptionist at the marina was dismissive when asked about this!

There did seem to be fewer British boats about than I would have anticipated. But we had a great time in Belgium, and I would encourage British boaters to visit whilst the present 'ceasefire' is in force.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Spent 15 days in Ostend in August & a further 2 days in September. No sign of any authority. Did receive a wall plaque, a watch& an inscribed computed bag from the RNSYC to commemorate my 75 th visit to Ostend though.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Coooo i wonder where mine is :disgust:

I started going there in "Pre Robert" days. You need a bit of history as well to qualify.such as :- getting arrested & let off with a rollicking, getting threatened with fines- twice, upsetting the harbour control because the bloke at the entrance got the balls & cones mixed up ( not my fault) & ones wife doing the race starts for the Belgian national Dragon championships one year & finally- appearing on Belgian TV - twice:encouragement:
It's a great place to spend a couple of weeks hols every year

sailorman

Visit site
I started going there in "Pre Robert" days. You need a bit of history as well to qualify.such as :- getting arrested & let off with a rollicking, getting threatened with fines- twice, upsetting the harbour control because the bloke at the entrance got the balls & cones mixed up ( not my fault) & ones wife doing the race starts for the Belgian national Dragon championships one year & finally- appearing on Belgian TV - twice:encouragement:
It's a great place to spend a couple of weeks hols every year

I go back to Popeye, 1978 was my first trip in my own boat, that was fitted out at home. Nav aids-compass -hh compass - log - depth - charts

Daydream believer

Visit site
I go back to Popeye, 1978 was my first trip in my own boat, that was fitted out at home. Nav aids-compass -hh compass - log - depth - charts

1970 in my Stella.No log though.Terrific days. Nothing like seeing Ostend for the first time (except it was Nieuport & we were a bit out)
In your first boat? Hope that was not the silhouette! respect if it was.See summer issue of the PBO for my first foray in the silly ette. B..dy horrible thing really, but did not know that when 12 years old.

sailorman

Visit site
1970 in my Stella.No log though.Terrific days. Nothing like seeing Ostend for the first time (except it was Nieuport & we were a bit out)
In your first boat? Hope that was not the silhouette! respect if it was.See summer issue of the PBO for my first foray in the silly ette. B..dy horrible thing really, but did not know that when 12 years old.

Pegasus 800, i just had hull & deck mouldings (Dec 77 ), the rest was a trad teak fit-out, with SS Spars & full suit of Austin Farrar sails & launched June 78

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
Pegasus 800, i just had hull & deck mouldings (Dec 77 ), the rest was a trad teak fit-out, with SS Spars & full suit of Austin Farrar sails & launched June 78

Quite a project in its day. But I think that the general mindset was more geared up for those sort of projects. I see that you had a silly ette & my father built one in just a few short weeks from inception to launch. There were loads of similar boats built around the 60's 70's & people thought it was quite the norm. It was the sort of thing that people just went ahead & did. Seems a pity that folk these days may have lost the skills. Worse still they are not being passed down to the kids.
I helped with bits of the build & If you have seen my article in the PBO it did not feel that strange that a 12 year old would go off in dad's boat for a weekend with a friend, without anyone stopping them, once they got past "parental approval". But i knew every part of the boat inside out when it was launched.

Last edited:

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com

In July/August this year we spent three days in Nieuwpoort and a week in Blankenberge.

On board we had receipts to show that we had paid 100% duty on the last few red diesel fill-ups.

We were welcomed at the marinas we visited and at no time were asked for documentation. In Nieuwpoort the receptionist at the marina was dismissive when asked about this!

There did seem to be fewer British boats about than I would have anticipated. But we had a great time in Belgium, and I would encourage British boaters to visit whilst the present 'ceasefire' is in force.

+1 to that. Currently moored in Blankenberge, after a daysail down from Breskens, being seranaded by a wandering troop of musicians. Stopped at Nieuwpoort on the way up and was royally entertained by the resident seal colony, our berth was just opposite their haul out spot.Pics here https://allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com/ . Marina teams in both (VVW) a model of courtesy, helpfulness and efficiency).

Last edited:

Habebty

Visit site

+1 to that. Currently moored in Blankenberge, after a daysail down from Breskens, being seranaded by a wandering troop of musicians. Stopped at Nieuwpoort on the way up and was royally entertained by the resident seal colony, our berth was just opposite their haul out spot.Pics here https://allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com/ . Marina teams in both (VVW) a model of courtesy, helpfulness and efficiency).
Yes, saw you! In fact here is a pic taken today :) :)
IMG_0566.jpg

nortada

Visit site

My luck to be there when the ceasefire runs out!

29th March 2019?

Stork_III

Visit site

EUCJ rule on red diesel. Illegal for pleasure craft, even if full duty paid. See YBW news page.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site

EUCJ rule on red diesel. Illegal for pleasure craft, even if full duty paid. See YBW news page.

I'm not sure it strictly means that. The illegality is on the part of the UK Government. Quite what it means in practice for individual boaters (including how the Belgian Government will deal them) is not directly related to the court decision, and remains unclear.

To quote [emphasis added] from the RYA notice posted in the YM Forum:
' Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has today informed the RYA that it has lost its defence with the Court of Justice of the European Union of Case 503/17.
The court has ruled that the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland has failed to fulfil its obligations under Council Directive 95/60/EC of 27 November 1995 on fiscal marking of gas oils and kerosene (OJ 1995 L 291, p. 46).
The European Commission took action against the UK as it considers that, by allowing the use of marked fuel for the purposes of propelling private pleasure craft, the UK has failed to fulfil these obligations.
The European Commission indicated its intention to commence infraction proceedings against the UK in July 2011. In May 2013 the European Commission formally requested that the UK amend its legislation "to ensure that private pleasure boats such as luxury yachts can no longer buy lower taxed fuel intended for fishing boats" and issued a reasoned opinion to the UK Government, which HMRC indicated its intention to challenge in July 2013.
As a result, in July 2014, the European Commission indicated that it had decided to refer the UK to the Court of Justice of the European Union.
Today’s judgment means that, while the UK remains subject to the Fuel Marker Directive, the UK must bring its practices into line with this ruling.
HMRC is now examining the judgment and will announce how and when the UK will adjust its practices in due course. The RYA’s Cruising, Legal and Government Affairs team is now analysing the full impact for our 112,000 members and the recreational boating community – and plans to meet with HMRC to discuss the next steps. The crux of the matter is ensuring the continued availability of diesel for the leisure boating community.'​

As I understand it, the EU itself can't directly make actions of individuals 'illegal', but it can require (because UK Govt signed up it in the first place!:rolleyes:) EU states to (a) mark duty free fuel, and (b) have legal mechanisms to ensure marked fuel is not used for dutiable purposes. Other countries (including Belgium) have legal penalties to deter use of duty free fuel for leisure boating, the UK does not (yet).

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site

As i assumed, our government were in the wrong & fudged the issue & some were fined, what redress will they get from hmrc

maby

Visit site

As i assumed, our government were in the wrong & fudged the issue & some were fined, what redress will they get from hmrc

Probably none - the HMRC guidance notes did point out that marked diesel is probably not legal on the continent and recommended that boat owners who had bought marked fuel in UK waters should not go abroad with it.