Online shopping for boat products

lustyd

Visit site
Think the main thing is only to buy from UK VAT registered suppliers otherwise you could get nasty demand for extra postage, VAT and import duties.
But then if it's still cheaper, as is often the case, to buy from someone not UK VAT registered and separately pay the VAT and duty then why would there be a problem? There's nothing nasty about it, it's just the tax due to your government.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
But then if it's still cheaper, as is often the case, to buy from someone not UK VAT registered and separately pay the VAT and duty then why would there be a problem? There's nothing nasty about it, it's just the tax due to your government.
I think the point being made is some carrier are holding people to ransom to clear parcel throught customs. Nothing to do with paying tax that is own ,
Have you not seen or heard whats been going on , one cruiser we know ups wanted €20 for a parcel that had €10 value

lustyd

Visit site
Well aware of what's happening, yes. Obviously you now have to check what has and has not been paid before ordering, that's what "we" voted for. If your package is being held to ransome for charges which you have evidence should have been included then cancel the order and get your money back from the credit card company. While I understand the problem people had in January, that's no longer a reasonable excuse for not being aware of import charges and VAT, and it's certainly not a good excuse to get ripped off by a British supplier in my opinion.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
.....and the postage can always be ascertained before completing the checkout process. Irish customers, for instance, buying from UK websites always have to pay more postage than UK customers, and free UK postage, where offered, does not apply.
We used to be able to avail of services offering A UK delivery address for a fee of €3.95 a time, which was good value when coupled with free UK postage, but this has now stopped (due to the result of Cameron's idiot brinkmanship :( }.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I think the point being made is some carrier are holding people to ransom to clear parcel throught customs. Nothing to do with paying tax that is own ,
Have you not seen or heard whats been going on , one cruiser we know ups wanted €20 for a parcel that had €10 value
Don't rely on hearsay. this leads to the circulation of fake news. How the charges are applied is governed by the law, see the link below:
Notice 143: a guide for international post users

dslittle

Visit site
I am happy to buy anything online and I am not too worried about how much I go up to as I use my credit card for payment.
My only concern now is the fact that my yacht is in France and I am going to have to ‘import’ everything when I get back to it. It will be interesting to see how the Douane deal with my car load of stuff (some old, some new)...
As an aside, my last online purchase was Gill Helmsmens Gloves so it was nice to see they did well in your review!!!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
@ spirit of Glenans to some trader what every the law say doesn't matter as I found with Nootica and only once I put pressure on the manufacturer that my problem got sorted.

@dslittle just cos you pay by credit card don't expect if there a problem your money will be refunded ASAP, we was two weeks into our dispute and still the credit card company was asking for more info , even tho we given them all the email correspondence to show that the chandlers wasn't playing by the rules and had no intention of do so even tho the manufacturer instructed them the item was Faulty and to give me a full refund

James_Calvert

Visit site
Regarding who to buy from, I'm always happy to buy on line from retailers with a proper shop. The big ones generally have competitive prices, although I don't take that for granted.

But often it's just as easy to ring them and do it by phone.

C08

Visit site
I have always had good service from Pacermarine. I recently bought a water tank and then realised I may be tight on time for going to the boat to fit it. When I enquired about the delivery date they put it on a 24 hour courier at no extra cost and it came the next day. That is service.

mrangry

Visit site
I just bought a Knox anchor through Geoff at Knox Anchors. Great reviews on the anchor, reasonable price and a very helpful company to deal with on the whole.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I try and buy local if I can - 2 chandleries on my way to the boat. I research online but find that my go to chandlery - Seamark Nunn - will inevitably come up with a better deal. Even if they have to order the item, they are quick. I've also used Jimmy Green for running rigging etc. On the other hand my standing rigging I bought locally as it was an excellent price, took the old rigging to them and they recommended changes which I accepted.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
On-line has become dominant in the US for many purchases. Better selelction, fast and most often free delivery, and often better price. I'll go the chandler if I'm there and it is something common they have. But too often they don't have it. West Marine is moving more and more to their own store brand... which ain't always great.

Shoes in person... unless I have bought that brand before.

It helps if you have enough experience to know exactly what you need.

lustyd

Visit site
It helps if you have enough experience to know exactly what you need.
In my experience this is more true in a shop than online. If I'm at home and don't know what I need I can ask here, Facebook, YouTube etc. but when in the store I'm at the mercy of the shop assistant who usually only pretends to know about boats. The smaller and more traditional the chandlery the worse this gets, and they'll sell you literally any bodged nonsense they can rather than admit they don't have something you need.
Agree about the stock thing - to me the very purpose of going to a shop is because I don't want to wait a day for something. Nothing drives me more crazy in 2021 than the phrase "we can order that in for next week". I can order it in for tomorrow myself, thanks!

seansea

Visit site
Not oilies or shoes for sure. Bought some boat shoes recently from familiar brand, looked identical to my last deck shoes but subtle differences. They were the same size but couldn't get them to fit even after getting in soles and heel protectors...at least the charity shop will benefit..

slawosz

Visit site
I buy online pretty much everything. Either popular chandleries either ebay. Mostly because I don't have chandlery on my way, and I have little time. Family/job, so I appreciate that packages go directly to my address. Although I really like spending time and browsing in chandlery. Its simply more convenient (not really cheaper to be honest).