May I go to the boat at the weekend please ?

Momac

Visit site
I should explain ........I can walk to the boat from home - about half a mile.
The marina office is shut and only a few liveaboards in the marina and none moored near my boat.
I can get past the gate as I have a key.

Would a walk from home , along the footpath , into the marina down the pontoon and a quick check over the boat be considered acceptable ?

doug748

Visit site
Yes, I think so too.

Though I wouldn't run the engine, open a bottle of wine in the cockpit, stride about on deck too much or sunbathe on the foredeck. The reason being, that folk even looking like they are flouting the spirit of the rules, risks the general esprit de corps. We are all in it together.
Once we all start tailoring circumstances to our own requirements and generally not giving a stuff, then things could start to unravel and we might end up where we started.

There is a more practical aspect. Pretty soon the press are going to want a new angle and that could be looking a who is disregarding the regulations. What better shock and outrage than champagne swilling toffs on their luxury yachts fiddling while Rome burns?

I have been to my boat twice in similar circumstances both for very specific purposes, I kept my head down both literally and metaphorically.

vas

Visit site
done the same, mind have to fill in a form or sent an SMS to be able to leave home...
boat is 400mts away and part of my exercise walk along the city. Just got in, picked up a few things I'd forgotten and off again.
I may go again next week and do some work, but with curtains drawn, working inside alone.

Bouba

Visit site
There is another reason not to go. If you are caught it will rouse the interest of the media, I can see the headlines, rich prat puts us all at risk so he can visit his luxury yacht. The fact you maybe on board to find your last tin of Fray Bentos and a bog roll may not be a mitigating factor

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
I did not intend to sit on the boat or anything like that . Just a walk past and quick check.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I should explain ........I can walk to the boat from home - about half a mile.
The marina office is shut and only a few liveaboards in the marina and none moored near my boat.
I can get past the gate as I have a key.

Would a walk from home , along the footpath , into the marina down the pontoon and a quick check over the boat be considered acceptable ?
I had email from Farndon. Paul says no !!!

Momac

Visit site
Then while you are there please check as many of the other boats as you can for those not lucky enough to be within walking distance ?

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
Yes
I will unavoidably stroll past the boats belonging to people I know, which are on the same pontoon. Its probably not a good idea to wander down other pontoons .

I had email from Farndon. Paul says no !!!
No to you or to all?

[2068]

Visit site
I'm only 100m from my boat, but the Marina is "closed" and is strongly discouraging anyone from turning up.
This annoyed me at first, but I can see their point - if everyone had the same idea, then the social distancing rules will end up getting broken, staff put at risk etc.

It's also the case that some think they "know what they are doing" and can break the rules without consequences - after all, probably the most dangerous thing we can actually do is Go Shopping. I was signed up to this view until Boris, the Health Secretary and the CMO all tested positive for the bug.

Hopefully things will return to normal to allow at least some of the Summer to be enjoyed on the water.
But not right now.

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
I'm only 100m from my boat, but the Marina is "closed" and is strongly discouraging anyone from turning up.
This annoyed me at first, but I can see their point - if everyone had the same idea, then the social distancing rules will end up getting broken, staff put at risk etc.

Not many people live so close to their boat so not many can have the same option of walking to the marina. No staff are working at our marina.

I would certainly not drive to the marina but walking or cycling once a day for exercise is certainly within the rules and seems to be encouraged. Perhaps walking down the pontoon is too risky. Must say I am nervous about even entering the marina yard which doesn't seem logical .

Greg2

Visit site
I can’t see that it is an issue Martyn. The walk to and from the Marina is clearly within Govt guidelines and simply checking your boat with no contact with anyone / social distancing and not staying for any leisure purposes sounds like a pragmatic thing to do.

Listening to Govt advice during the week they want to create a culture of compliance, where the population makes pragmatic decisions within the guidelines and is largely self-policing. Understandably many marinas have said that they are closed to discourage people travelling but your circumstances are different to most and there would be no ’unnecessary travel’.

I guess one issue could be the risks associated with proximity to water in a deserted marina (our risk assessments at work require lifejackets to be worn on pontoons) but we all go to our boats regularly and most, like ours, can be accessed with virtually no danger of falling in. In my case going for a bike ride, which is permitted, would be more dangerous than checking the boat.

ashtead

Visit site
Surely a what’s app group with livabords might solve some issues for checking as they seem free to remain on board even if facilities are shut down and might be willing to check and collect any pressing items ?