Low tide launch sites for dinghy on Medway around Gillingham?

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Darnett Fort still has Napoleonic defences: sharpened sticks pointing out of the mud to injure enemy troops, the idea was copied by the Viet Cong...

Capt Popeye

Visit site
I had a similiar experience at Gillingham Marina some years ago. I was working nearby and thought I would check out the marina. There was a security gate and the guard stopped me.
Did I have an appointment?
No I'm just exploring before I come by yacht.
Not a berth holder, you can't come in without an appointment.
How do I get an appointment?
From the office over there.
OK, I'll go and get one.
Not without an appointment.
I wonder if they got much new business?

Guess that first approach is by Mobile Phone, guess that you had access to one ?

Yep worked there some years ago so was allowed free acess around the Marina; knowing /living nearby, a Berth Holder would very much appreciate the security working as intended . Drugs can be a problem plus some Travellers who oft camp up nearby sometimes on the Gillinham Slip

In another thread I mentioned a Gun Shot one night which woke me up, it turned out later on that a person involved in Drugs had shot another Fella at the Gillinham Slip whilst he was Angling

Although Gillinham Marina is a great place to moor /berth up, good acess to the lower tidal Medway , so a good start to a sail from there, security very good, (details withheld) safe berthing and access from pontoons; the surrounding area has attracted the low lifes in certain areas; probably would not have flourished if the Navy Boys were still garrisoned there, and the Night Patrols were still in existance, bur long gone now !

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I had a similiar experience at Gillingham Marina some years ago. I was working nearby and thought I would check out the marina. There was a security gate and the guard stopped me.
Did I have an appointment?
No I'm just exploring before I come by yacht.
Not a berth holder, you can't come in without an appointment.
How do I get an appointment?
From the office over there.
OK, I'll go and get one.
Not without an appointment.
I wonder if they got much new business?
I lived aboard in the tidal basin, it was great to have a nosy security guard who knew our faces; Captn Popeye is correct about the Caravan Club Libertarians being a threat in that area.

Pye_End

Visit site
Looks a better option than Hoo Fort for low tide unless that black stuff is too likely to damage an inflatable? Is it just weed on rocks? I'm thinking the whole area is a bit hazardous for inflatables.

Is carrying the dinghy to the moat any use for getting into the fort? Or is the entrance too high up?

View attachment 111779
Yes fine with inflatable - up behind or to the right of the barges.

The mote had a scaffold board bridge across it (2019 from memory), so no problem with access (brambles etc permitting!). There is even a ladder to get up to the very top, though I must admit I didn't try it.

oldgit

Visit site
Accross the river at Upnor there was a large open slipway with direct access to the river, situated in the Village , not the Yacht

There is no public launching access to the river in Lower Upnor all the ramps are gated.
You might be able to launch with difficulty from the now defunct Arethusa Activity Centre car pack at HW, but after that its soft mud all the the way down. to LW.

. Also Deadman's Island, which is littered with human bones, very exciting for kids. :(
Its supposed to be a restricted area. and no landing.

Last edited:

Adios

Visit site
Even more exciting!
I looked into that and found quite a funny article for the number of times they said no one can go there. Kent's terrifying forgotten island littered with human remains

Outside of nesting season its fair game for a bit of harmless footfall IMO. Anyone who thinks we mustn't go there because its a SSSI should look at the dark areas on this map of SSSIs. Its really a way of removing our rights in a way no one feels able to argue against. A land grab by people who have made a job for themselves managing the land they are increasingly grabbing. I've had to argue a few times with people that humans are part of nature too, seems forgotten.

2021-03-21_184311.jpg

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I looked into that and found quite a funny article for the number of times they said no one can go there. Kent's terrifying forgotten island littered with human remains

Outside of nesting season its fair game for a bit of harmless footfall IMO. Anyone who thinks we mustn't go there because its a SSSI should look at the dark areas on this map of SSSIs. Its really a way of removing our rights in a way no one feels able to argue against. A land grab by people who have made a job for themselves managing the land they are increasingly grabbing. I've had to argue a few times with people that humans are part of nature too, seems forgotten.

View attachment 111820
Yes jobs for the jobsworths, nobody has the right to stop you playing football. Even better if you can find a skull to kick around :)

Capt Popeye

Visit site
There is no public launching access to the river in Lower Upnor all the ramps are gated.
You might be able to launch with difficulty from the now defunct Arethusa Activity Centre car pack at HW, but after that its soft mud all the the way down. to LW.

. Also Deadman's Island, which is littered with human bones, very exciting for kids. :(
Its supposed to be a restricted area. and no landing.

Yep, have not been to Upnor for many many years (used to be my Local boating place from Dinghys to 34ft Launch) , there used to be a good Fixed Timber Walkway near the Ex Arethusa moorings which was above HW marks and went below LW mark ; recall that some local Dinghy Club members walked their Dinghys down this Walkway and launched them; so an Inflateable should be no problems

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
The slip way at Gillingham, alongside the west side of the Lido has access of about 4½ hours either side of high water. I used it in the past with a Mirror dinghy and it would suit what you are trying to do. It is concrete and usually has a thin layer of mud on it. It is used by plenty of jet skis, so can get busy. Suggest if possible to use mid week and lauch shortly after low water to take the tide up river. At high water, just turn round and you should be able to still get back on the slipway.
Roger, Have you used the Strand recently? I used it regularly back in the late 1970s early 80s as a member of the Kent Boat and Ski Club when we were based there, but I think its changed a bit since then. I regularly attend the MSBA meetings and it gets a regular mention about the amount of silting. Medway council who own it do not have the funding to keep it clear.

Concerto

Visit site
Roger, Have you used the Strand recently? I used it regularly back in the late 1970s early 80s as a member of the Kent Boat and Ski Club when we were based there, but I think its changed a bit since then. I regularly attend the MSBA meetings and it gets a regular mention about the amount of silting. Medway council who own it do not have the funding to keep it clear.
David, I last used it about 8 years ago. My comment was based on that experience. The link to the web cam I posted in post #14 shows it is reasonable clear for a fairly long distance. A regular check near low water will confirm how much access is possible.

oldgit

Visit site

View attachment 111820

The last resting place of this man is there. !
Deadman's Island: Grave of 'brave' surgeon destroyed by tides
Deadman's Island: Grave of 'brave' surgeon destroyed by tides

The grave of a "brave" naval surgeon is currently lying in disrepair on an island off the Kent coast.
Deadman's Island, near Sheerness, was used as a mooring site for prison hulks, with erosion now bringing the remains of those who died and were buried there to the surface.
One of the graves belongs to Victorian naval surgeon Dr Sidney Bernard, who risked and ultimately lost his life during an outbreak of deadly yellow fever.

In 1845 the crew of the naval ship HMS Eclair contracted yellow fever off the West African coast and HMS Rolla was sent to assist. Bernard, the Rolla's surgeon, moved to Eclair to treat the crew. On the ship's return to England, the authorities ordered the captain to moor in Stangate Creek to avoid spread of the disease and a cutter was deployed to prevent anyone leaving the ship. Bernard continued to tend to the crew until he also caught it and died aged 27 on 9 October 1845. He was buried on Burntwick Island and his grave, isolated among the marshy grasslands, is still visible and maintained by the Royal Navy.

Adios

Visit site
He goes there for a bit more filming again then tells everyone else that they can't go there because they deserve to rest in peace. Do as I say. I can't see how the very few people with the means to go there having a look is disturbing the dead. The souls are long departed.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
David, I last used it about 8 years ago. My comment was based on that experience. The link to the web cam I posted in post #14 shows it is reasonable clear for a fairly long distance. A regular check near low water will confirm how much access is possible.

Re the Strand Launching site; my last visit was about 25 years ago, I used to live nearby so used the site quite a lot for a dinghy to row out; I recall that the slipway comprised of a hard, poss concrete main structure that extended to about LW mark, this structure I recall was about 2m or 6ft wide, either side was mud covered stones /rocks etc so was hard enough to walk on easily
Maybe me or time its not like that now ?

Last edited:

Capt Popeye

Visit site
A bit of fred Drift ere ; seeing the Chart showing Stangate Creek reminded me. that when we moved to Medway from London in the 60s became a member of SYC where many fellows were employed at the Dock Yards then, listening to them discussing where in Stangate they dumped various items from the Dockyard to loose them; bearing in mind the Nuclear Subs were there then, I refrained from using Stangate for many years ; duno if the waters in the Creek glowed in the dark or what, maybe the raised Anchors had mud of a certain colour and texture ?

Concerto

Visit site
Re the Strand Launching site; my last visit was about 25 years ago, I used to live nearby so used the site quite a lot for a dinghy to row out; I recall that the slipway comprised of a hard, poss concrete ain structure that extended to about LW mark, this structure I recall was about 2m or 6ft wide, either side was mud covered stones /rocks etc so was hard enough to walk on easily
Maybe me or time its not like that now ?
I agree that is what is there structurally but I fear the settlement of mud from the river has made the settled mud higher than the concrete slipway. Regular cleaning would help but the slipway would always get covered again in a short while. Also I expect the depth at the end of the slipway is reduced as well.

About 8 years ago at low water springs I feel sure there was still a drop at the end of the slipway, but this may have disappeared. The web cam should show if this is true. On Wednesday 31st March the predicted low water at 0934 is one of the lowest for the year. A good time to check. Webcam | Medway Cruising Club

Other threads that may be of interest