Jeckells Sails

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Some may remember a thread I started last week regarding a cruising chute for a 44' boat and costs.

I finally have all the quotes in, asked all the questions, etc... and I'm thinking of going with Jeckells.
- theirs was the cheapest quote bar one (Crusader was cheaper by £50, but their chute was considerably smaller).
- Jeckells have been most 'on the ball' - e-mails were answered promptly, no-nonsense answers, ...

One forumite I know has some very unkind things to say about them - how about others? Was his experience a one-off or should I really look elsewhere?

All replies gratefully received.

tillergirl

Visit site
I have a Jeckells Cruising Chute, two years old. Nothing functionally wrong with it but there is an 'offset' between two panels of different colours of a little bit over an inch - and which annoys me! Just waiting for a snuffer from Gowans to make flying it single handed slightly less exciting!

D

DogWatch

I had a fab chat with Jeckells at LIBS one year; I had not long taken over the boat so I was not in the immediate market.

A few years later I contacted around 6 sail makers for quotes, Jeckells included.

Only Kemps came back to me and after buying a genoa and main at different times I am now loyal to them as a first choice.

Shame as I had a really good feeling about Jeckells before that.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Had a great genoa made by them on a Mac28 about 5 years ago, it set beautifully and had obviuously been well made.

Fortunately they are a completely different company to the Jeckells who make sprayhoods who were a right load of ****** to deal with.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Did you get a quote from Dolphin sails?

Haven't got a quote from them.
To be honest, I can't remember whether it is because they didn't reply or I didn't ask them. :eek::eek:

Would be strange though, since they're doing or new sprayhood. Apart from some initial communication problems (I was abroad a lot at the time) they've been a pleasure to deal with.
If the sprayhood works out fine, I will definitely ask them for a quote.
Won't decide before the end of the month anyway, as I have some large bills to pay then (Fox's yard, rigger, marina, new house) and I want to see how much money I have left - if any. :eek:

Tradewinds

www.etsy.com
Back in 2005 I had a main & genoa made by Jeckells. Very pleased with the finished article.

I specified Marblehead dacron, triple stitched etc etc - I'm hoping they'll last as long as the Butler Verner sails I inherited back in '92.

IMO Jeckells or Crusader are both good options (Crusader made my mizzen sail a couple of years ago).

Habebty

Visit site
Their repairs are ok, but the cruising chute and snuffer I bought is pretty good, and they are only 20 minutes drive from me so still get my valet and repair work. Get the snuffer as well Will for singlehanding, I sail singlehanded and in the right conditions can get the main and chute up between Ipswich Wet Dock and the Orwell bridge on my own.

Spyro

Visit site
I'll tell you after tomorrow when my new main arrives. So far I've found them a pleasure to deal with and very competitive on price.

I hope it fits, where's the worried smillie you need it :confused::confused:

MacMan

sailtoanywhere.blogspot.com
Some may remember a thread I started last week regarding a cruising chute for a 44' boat and costs.

I finally have all the quotes in, asked all the questions, etc... and I'm thinking of going with Jeckells.
- theirs was the cheapest quote bar one (Crusader was cheaper by £50, but their chute was considerably smaller).
- Jeckells have been most 'on the ball' - e-mails were answered promptly, no-nonsense answers, ...

One forumite I know has some very unkind things to say about them - how about others? Was his experience a one-off or should I really look elsewhere?

All replies gratefully received.

Main delivered was completely incorrect size - they did eventually put right but it took some time and effort. They did try to treat me like I was an idiot - was I sure it was the wrong size - yes it was about 3 feet to long ! not sure quite how they messed up but I will go elsewhere in the future.

I only went with them becuase they had made the original - and so I though would have the sizes without me having to measure.

Spyro

Visit site
I'll tell you after tomorrow when my new main arrives. So far I've found them a pleasure to deal with and very competitive on price.

I hope it fits, where's the worried smillie you need it :confused::confused:

So far so bad, I was e-mailed on Mon saying my new sail would be delivered today. It did not arrive. :mad::mad:

sailorman

Visit site
Main delivered was completely incorrect size - they did eventually put right but it took some time and effort. They did try to treat me like I was an idiot - was I sure it was the wrong size - yes it was about 3 feet to long ! not sure quite how they messed up but I will go elsewhere in the future.

I only went with them becuase they had made the original - and so I though would have the sizes without me having to measure.

3 owners in our marina had similar experiences ;)

Blueboatman

Visit site
Go for it. Never economise on sails !

Clearly with all things yottin, being a cottage industry, any company reputation is only as good as each and every employee within the chain. I would assume that a spate of crass stupidity ended with the measurers dismissal at Jeckell?
Bit of a Lakesailoring but I had really beautiful red Jeckells sails on my first boat, 40 ft and loadsa canvas and reef points, c 1980 manufacture sails, so beautifully cut and sewed, detailed etc. 30 years later, who the fucnose how the cad and cnc machinist is actually set up? Sailorman is usually pretty factually accurate !
Personal UK favourites right now for me are Arun at Bosham, esp after S'ton discussions face to face..And my Arun stuff is 10 years old, radial headsail, unblemished beautiful full batten main etc.( yet I have been told of 1 possible mistake-or misunderstanding-there too over the years). They will get my spare mainsail order def.

BTW I am an (impecunious) sail snob, having had -Oh joy of joy-US North Sails exotics.. If you really want to go faster and point higher, I would say thrash the old stuff downwind to the Caribbean and up to the States, and order 'em new there ( and yes I had inside connections then). The Kevlar No 1 became known as "That Goddam Wing" and 'The Terminator'.. Beautiful, gorgeous, ....
Cheap sails are just awful.

Greenwichman

Visit site

Fully-battened Main and Genoa from Jeckells last year. Sails OK now, but I had to re-measure the batten lengths (they lost the figures); Genoa luff was over-long (they took it back and sorted it); and sail number on Genoa was wrong (they had had the original in their loft, so their error). When I sought recompense (eg carriage costs for two returns) their customer service was a bit rough and ready: ".....our margins are very tight". On balance, I'd try somewhere else for my next experience.